Inca, Aztec, or Iroquios?

slyone14

Warlord

Hi! I am looking for advice, i am a competent and avid civ 5 player. I am looking for something different. I have played most of the BnW civs and GnK civs and clocked in over 1,100 hours. I play on HUge map, 22 civs and 20 city states. I am looking to play either of these three indian civs. I just beat a game with the Shoshone and enjoyed it; the music, the play style, and fun factor.

Anyways, so i am looking for another one to play. Im really just looking for a good all around indian civ. One that is strong all around, is fun, and has good music. WHich ones have you enjoyed? Thank you

In my experience, the Incas can be pretty powerful on a hilly river map. Terrace farms are pretty awesome. I'd probably recommend them.

Aztecs are fine, but their advantages are all really early in the game. The jungle bias can be a bit restricting too. Though I admit that pretend sacrificing my enemies is a guilty pleasure :)

I don't think you will find many Iroquois fans.

In my experience, the Incas can be pretty powerful on a hilly river map. Terrace farms are pretty awesome. I'd probably recommend them.

Aztecs are fine, but their advantages are all really early in the game. The jungle bias can be a bit restricting too. Though I admit that pretend sacrificing my enemies is a guilty pleasure :)

I don't think you will find many Iroquois fans.

+1
I think anyone can build a solid case for either Aztec and even more Incas...
But anyone trying to put Iroquois on top of these 2 will have a hard time!

Aztec and Inca are very different, but they're two of the best and most fun civs in the game, in my opinion. As has been said here, Iroquois are... less beloved (check out the "Worst Civ" thread to see how much Iroquois are dominating that discussion.)

Aztec's bonuses are partially in the early game, but floating gardens can net you population multiple times that of your competitors, and if you keep warring, sacrificial captives keeps being great. Hold onto some jaguars for upgrade, too!

Inca's economic and movement bonuses last all game and are significant, and the terrace farm is incredible. Most of all, they get the hills bias for jump-started production and none of the potential downsides.

Both are great. Iroquois... less so.

No Mayans? The Long Count is a pretty interesting ability.

From the first three picks, though, I would consider either Aztecs or Incans, for one same reason albeit with different strategies on how to get it. That reason being growth, with the Aztecs dominating lake maps, whereas Incans gain from mountain-adjacent hills. Both will give you a huge science score later on. I would find the Aztecs slightly more challenging due to their start bias (lots of jungles, not a lot of production), but otherwise pretty good, especially when raking culture through barbarian culling and wars against rivals.

The Iroquois is a bit more challenging than any other civ besides Venice for the reason that it's generally regarded as low-tier. Why? It mostly has something to do with the Longhouse as it does worse than a regular Workshop that it replaces, particularly in maps with little to no forest tiles.

The other uniques are also generally considered to be lackluster as well. Although the UA has some similarities to the Incan UA, road movement is limited to friendly territory and you also spend full movement cost upon exiting those forest tiles. These tiles are also generally less valuable than hills at times, and you may even need to chop them for farms, mines or plantations. The UU is nice, but unless the area is covered in forests, you will prefer ranged units over melee units.

Simply put, they're a bit too reliant on forest tiles, hampering some versatility in overall gameplay (although forests become versatile themselves thanks to the Longhouse). Still, if you want to check your ability to keep up, playing the Iroquois might be able to show just at what area you are lacking.

Inca, Aztec, Iroquois.

Iroquois' require a lot of micro-managing to get what you want out of them.

Inca and hope for a mountain hill start that doesn't troll you with sheep!

I agree... for me Maya are the best CIV or at least up there in the 1st tier. I think He juszst just ruled them out for any reasons... not pretending that they are weaker... certainly not lower tier than Iroquois.

No Mayans? The Long Count is a pretty interesting ability.

From the first three picks, though, I would consider either Aztecs or Incans, for one same reason albeit with different strategies on how to get it. That reason being growth, with the Aztecs dominating lake maps, whereas Incans gain from mountain-adjacent hills. Both will give you a huge science score later on. I would find the Aztecs slightly more challenging due to their start bias (lots of jungles, not a lot of production), but otherwise pretty good, especially when raking culture through barbarian culling and wars against rivals.

The Iroquois is a bit more challenging than any other civ besides Venice for the reason that it's generally regarded as low-tier. Why? It mostly has something to do with the Longhouse as it does worse than a regular Workshop that it replaces, particularly in maps with little to no forest tiles.

The other uniques are also generally considered to be lackluster as well. Although the UA has some similarities to the Incan UA, road movement is limited to friendly territory and you also spend full movement cost upon exiting those forest tiles. These tiles are also generally less valuable than hills at times, and you may even need to chop them for farms, mines or plantations. The UU is nice, but unless the area is covered in forests, you will prefer ranged units over melee units.

Simply put, they're a bit too reliant on forest tiles, hampering some versatility in overall gameplay (although forests become versatile themselves thanks to the Longhouse). Still, if you want to check your ability to keep up, playing the Iroquois might be able to show just at what area you are lacking.

Im not objected towards any of the Native South American or North American tribes, if you think the mayans are better and more enjoyable and good all around than the others, please tell me why.

THe funny thing about the incas and i havent tried them, but the UU seems so horrible, and usless. Thats the only thing that steers me away from them.

So please we can add mayans

I agree... for me Maya are the best CIV or at least up there in the 1st tier. I think He juszst just ruled them out for any reasons... not pretending that they are weaker... certainly not lower tier than Iroquois.

You are correct, i just honestly never considered them for whatever reason. Please tell me why you enjoy them and if they are better and more enjoyable ill try them.
:)

well Id take Mayans then!!
You start with the ability to train cheaper Archer with not even have to reaserch Aechery... great for early defense and can even replace Scouts... (but thats just a small upside)

What is really great is UB and UA... Pyramid is AMAZING! Will give you 2 sience and an extra faith! It almost garantee you a great Pantheon and pump up your early science pretty nicely without having to make particular effort!

Long count will basicaly give you 7 GP... first 3 being very fast!
We are talking here of a free Academy, a free Wonder and free 800 gold!! I can live with that!

And the beauty off all this is that they are extreamly addaptable! You dont need to have particular terrain or opponents or maps or whatever to max out your bonuses!

Best civ, not only native ameraican civ, in the game... my 2 cents!

Out of these 3 civs the Inca are definitely the strongest. In fact they are considered to be very overpowered and God tier. The Aztec are also quite strong with their culture bonus and growth if you can get rivers. Iroqious on the other hand are considered to be one of the worst civs in the game due to their severe workshop nerf.

If you are looking for something exciting because Single Player is getting boring then I highly suggest giving Multiplayer a shot. As long as you can stay online for a 3 - 4 hour stretch.

Anyways, so i am looking for another one to play. Im really just looking for a good all around indian civ. One that is strong all around, is fun, and has good music. WHich ones have you enjoyed? Thank you

Among these three, in the hands of the human, Inca appears to be the most powerful by a significant margin.
Likewise, unless playing a Lakes map (Floating Garden's advantage over the Water Mill is the food bonus on lake tiles,) Aztecs bonus isn't as good as the other two, particularly with 3 food caravans / cargo ships to the capital.

On high difficulty levels, the AI tends to do best with the Irq among these three, but that is because the AI knows how to handle forest but not jungle in combo with the Irq flavor working well with the massive happiness bonus the AI gets.

THe funny thing about the incas and i havent tried them, but the UU seems so horrible, and usless. Thats the only thing that steers me away from them.

I thought this as well until I played them and they became my favorite UU in the game.
They allow you to kite enemy units for days (especially with the mountain movement), not only will your slingers retreat when attacked, but they also draw the attacking unit forward, potentially bringing them dangerously out of position and flanking them. This also means that most of their units do absolutely nothing to you every turn if you screen your other units with Slingers, effectively neutering any army that ever tries to invade you. You can also use them as a low-risk shield for other units, since the enemy can't move around a Slinger, and should he attack the Slinger, then that spot is now occupied by a unit which can't attack, whichever the case your protected unit is probably safe.
Honestly the AI can barely handle tactical combat as it is, against this mechanic... forget about it. Even human players have a difficult time with it.

As if that wasn't enough, they upgrade into machine guns. Having Gatling guns you can safely position on your front lines to tear absolutely everything to shreds with impunity is awesome.

The Aztecs and Incas are great in their local terrain. Floating Gardens grants an insane amount of food, Jaguars are incredible and farming culture out of enemies is satisfying even when playing peacefully. No maintenance on hills and half elsewhere is fantastic, Terrace Farms let cities grow extremely tall and Slingers are hard to kill, especially in hills because enemies will be slowed down.

IMHO the Iroqouis really need some dev love. It's just the worst among the terrain specific civs, if not among all civs. I understand that movement boost in friendly territory only is to prevent units from being OP but having to connect city borders with roads and then delete them later as border expands seems rather a poor way of using workers. Why not just make forest and jungle tiles in unclaimed/friendly CS/open border areas connect cities so you don't have to build anything until Railroads?

The UB also discourages them from leaving forests. 5% production is cool with plenty of forests (might allow you to place trading posts instead of lumber mills so you get science later for example) but without it, it's much worse than a workshop. I know it's for flavor but they should have some other place to run to. Maybe 0.50 hammer from jungles? I don't know if 0.50 is possible but if it is, that's good enough since jungles can provide up to 2 science later.

Long count will basicaly give you 7 GP... first 3 being very fast!
We are talking here of a free Academy, a free Wonder and free 800 gold!! I can live with that!!

From what I've heard, they're not exactly free, as it can delay your next GP, especially with regards to the Engineers/Scientists/Merchants. What's great about the Long Count, however, is its adaptability, being able to let you choose a great person according to your needs at that time. For example, while I would normally choose a Great Scientist early on, if I happened to be building a key wonder like the Petra just in time for the next baktun, I'd probably consider the Great Engineer instead and hurry my Petra.

Imo, Inca are the strongest and most entertaining of the three. Movement on hills applies to civilians as well as military, so workers get a bit of a boost regarding improvements. Free roads on hills is huge. Terrace farms are flat-out overpowered if you are near a few mountains (even better if it's moutain/river). If you are near mountains, they spike in power after teching construction and don't stop growing in strength all game depending on how many terrace farms are near your cities.

Aztecs are just as strong, but a bit more dependent on a good start. Jungle bias slows down scouting and worker improvements, which is a huge negative. Their gardens need fresh water nearby, and its pretty rare that you'll get a river and a lake or two near cap. However, if you can get 4 cities up on rivers, their growth multiplier from the gardens are incredibly strong. I disagree with some of the members saying that this is an early-game civ. Since growth equates to more science, this is an all-game civ in my books.

Iroquois are much weaker than the other two to me. I don't feel like typing all of the reasons why. Here's a video explaining it pretty well. Fast forward to 2:06:54 for a thorough explanation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhTdDH0VU5A

Iroquois will hurt you rather than help

Mark my words, plus they have an ugly ass color scheme... music is decent

Inca and Aztec are pretty good. No where near god tier but Shaka or Gandhi won't be able to bully you that easy. Aztec are especially good early on when the jaguars can rush to the AI's land and take their workers and settlers.

Iroquois UA is fine with me, it can be weak, but still better than some worse UA (America, Mongolia, Ethiopia, ...)
Iroquois UB is a problem.
+1 Hammer per forrest is cool only when you build Trading Post.
Lumber Mill with 1 Food and 3 (later 4) Hammer is good, but not very useful.
If this UB can + 1 Hammer per jungle, or atleast +10% production like normal workshop it will be fine.
I dont care about their UU, because most of the time player use ranged units. Massive melee u nits way is not the way of conquerors.

These civilizations are all pretty good. I'm not sure who to choose in terms of what. I've enjoyed all of them before.. I have used them at the lower than deity difficulty and they were great.. I have used them all in multiplayer.. I don't really like Inca that much though.. The slinger is kind of like the atlalists with the only difference that one can climb mountains and hills quicker while the other doesn't need archery. Aztec's warriors aren't all that but its floating gardens really can make Aztec research if next to a lake or something. The aztec UA is good. Killing units for social policy points, I don't see why not. Iroquois have the potential of good production. Once you keep your trees at the beginning and use them as roads, you can eventually use the trees that you didn't cut as its UB and then build longhouses for even more production. On top of that, the UU doesn't even need any metal so you can unit spam many Iroquois UU without suffering from iron deficiency.

Top Bottom