1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Inevitable Conflict? A First World War AAR

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Stories & Tales' started by Kan' Sharuminar, Jul 14, 2006.

1. wkndwrrr

wkndwrrr Warlord

Hurry before we go into withdrawl syndrome :drool:

2. picardathon

picardathon Noobzor

When America joins the war they eventually start sending strike forces in to Germany, they might be able to take a city, but you honestly can't scratch that nightmare.
    Have you played as the Germans? They have the toughest empire in the world, and you can practically capture France using the army stacked in Cologne. Plus they and the British are the only ones with mostly improved tiles, and Germany is alot bigger than Britain.

3. Kan' Sharuminar

Kan' Sharuminar Fluffy

AlCosta: Here you go :p
    Saruman 23: Indeed it was, old friend, though we need to fight on a harder difficulty next time.
    wkndwrrr: Sounds serious, I better add an update.
    picardathon I have not played as the Germans, though I considered it for this AAR. Interesting analysis on the Americans, I shall try not to depend on them too much ;)

Update time, my apologies for such a short tale after such a long time away:

Inevitable Conflict? The British Fight the Great War

November - December 1914

Inevitably, it seemed, the conflict that was to “be over by Christmas” was not to be. Very quickly the British Parliament realised - particularly after the loss of Reims - that this war may last longer than expected.

Despite such misgivings, it was never publicly shown. The “glorious offensives of the Entende” continued to be announced. The Great Battle of Reims - continuing throughout the winter months - declared triumphantly that the German garrison was on the brink of defeat, that the Russians were defeating the Germans and Austrians in the east, and that the Middle East was collapsing under brilliant offensives…

The truth was that High Command was slowly realising that this war was dissolving into stalemate. True, Operation: Scythe had been a success, but there was no way they could order a continuation of the offensive - with the objective to capture Jerusalem - for at least several months.

The Russians were still mobilising, and at all times the city of Lodz was under threat. German forces poured in from the north, and though they dared not attack the city directly, it was enough to worry Czar Nicholas II to cancel any possible Russian offensives.

And in France, the situation was becoming a bloodbath. A German strike towards Paris was averted by brave French soldiers, but Reims was fast becoming a horrific crisis for the Entende, and beginning in November it became clear that a major offensive would have to be launched. As such, Operation: Fable was launched. The BEF was to launch an assault in the north, while the French attacked the southern flank. It was expected to be a quick victory, it was anything but.

The Battle of Reims

The British forces quickly discovered how difficult it was to assault an enemy in a trench, even with artillery and overwhelming numbers. True, heavy casualties were inflicted on the Germans, but by the end of December - when the war was to have been won - the British had been forced back, the French had failed to achieve anything, and Reims was still under German control.

The city was still under seige, of course, the Entende would still fight on. But as so many thousands of soldiers were cut down by German fire, it became very, very clear that this was to be a war like no other before it…

4. Red Door

Red Door Man of Mayhem

Great Update!

5. Kan' Sharuminar

Kan' Sharuminar Fluffy

December 1914 - March 1915

The new year brought in more bad news. British intelligence discovered that the Germans had reinforced their position in Reims with additional infantry divisions. As such, the BEF had no choice but begin construction of a trench network in their own territory north-west of the city.

The trenches begin construction

If the Entende thought this was the end of the crisis, they were mistaken. Though the early months of 1915 dragged into a stalemate in the western front, to the east it was anything but. The Russians suffered a defeat as Lodz was captured by an unexpected German offensive, though they managed to deter the Ottoman seige of Batumi.

In the Middle East, Ottoman cavalry attacked Gaza and surprised a British Infantry division, which was completely surrounded and destroyed. The cavalry proceeded west and destroyed the road to Gaza - cutting the city off from friendly British soil - before finally meeting it’s doom when it entered Egypt and faced a freshly trained infantry unit. It was a remarkably worrying experience for the British Middle East Command, who believed that the Ottomans would be focusing their attention north towards Russia. Not to mention that the loss of an infantry division meant the cancellation of all immediate offensives in the region. ME Command decided to console themselves with some nice bombing of Antalya with the Royal Navy.

Just fire!

As March came however, hope began to return. The 2nd BEF force had landed south of Calais, just behind a fresh French offensive towards the north (in particular, towards Brussels.) The Russian Empire had launched a massive offensive on all fronts, and were besieging Konigsburg as well as disrupting the enemy behind their lines. In addition, little Serbia was still holding out against Austria-Hungary, despite the recent development that Bulgaria was allowing the Central Powers to use their lands for transport. It was for this reason that Great Britain decided to cancel all deals with Bulgaria, and withdraw her diplomats.

The Second Expeditionary Force

As winter became spring, fresh hopes of a glorious offensive resurfaced, and the old dream that the war would be over by Christmas - albeit a year late - began to return.

Now if you'll excuse me, dear readers, a certain expansion pack came out today. :mischief:

6. Pbhead

Pbhead Hail the Byzantines

does this mean you are stoping?!?!?

ACK!

7. Kan' Sharuminar

Kan' Sharuminar Fluffy

No it doesn't mean I'm stopping at all. Just may be slightly...distracted, that's all. ;)

I will have another update this weekend.

Edit: And if anyone is really worried, I've backed up my saves. :p

8. Kan' Sharuminar

Kan' Sharuminar Fluffy

March - May 1915

Total war is what it was. Though at the time it was still mostly confined to the continent of Europe, it was still becoming clear that this conflict may be like no other. In the western front the lines had been drawn. The Battle of Reims had resulted in another stalemate, the combined French and British armies had halted the German advance.

Serbia is bravely holding out

In the east, it was truly a mobile war. The Austria-Hungarian Empire launced offensives into Serbia and Russia, and were beaten back. The Germans were more calculating and careful. After their capture of Lodz they held back any Russian attacks until May, when a glorious Russian offensive into Prussia resulted in the capture of Konigsburg. Coming after the recent capture of the Austrian city of Tarpol, it was very good news indeed for the Entende.

Indeed, despite the setbacks of the early 1915 months, hope was forthcoming. The French began an offensive into Belgium towards Brussels, while the 2nd BEF moved to reinforce their positions near Reims. Indeed, the German garrison - feeling threatened - launched an attack on the British trenches. They were defeated, but not before destroying the 72nd British Infantry Corps. Still, with the arrival of reinforcements, a ‘great offensive’ towards Reims could be contemplated.

At home, the British Parliament argued over major issues. The “Ireland Question” was resolved as new infantry divisions reinforced the garrisons, and the country began producing new vessles for the Royal Navy. Chief among these were the shipyards of Harland and Wolff, a renowned shipbuilder.

The great shipyards of Ireland

Also the question of garrisons abandoning British cities in order to reinforce the French front lines was brought up again. The Royal Navy was easily defending the seas and wiping out the German navy (despite their recent declaration of Unrestricted Submarine Warfare) and it was clear the home isles were safe, especially with France being the focal point of the German attacks. However the debate was delayed, pending how successful the 2nd BEF was, and all eyes were on the newly reinforced Middle East Command.

The war would be over by Christmas…

9. Red Door

Red Door Man of Mayhem

Good Update! Wow, the Austrians are looking bad.

10. dimaliok

dimaliok GayLORD

Can we see the whole map

11. IronMan2055

IronMan2055 Korra 2011

yay you landed were i said and also how do they recreate trench warfare is the def. majorly boosted

12. Kan' Sharuminar

Kan' Sharuminar Fluffy

@AlCosta: I'm fairly certain they're doing about as average as they did in real life. I know it took the entry of Bulgaria to knock Serbia out. How did your game go?

@dimaliok: I'll post some pics of the regions before my next update, which should hopefully be on Wednesday, work notwithstanding.

@IronMan2055: Hehe, Calais was the closest place to land next to. Trench warfare isn't represented at all in this game, it's just the standard units, which is a shame. There's not even any forts positioned along a set front. I simply used my creative license to add them into the story.

13. Red Door

Red Door Man of Mayhem

I've stopped playing because I got Warlords. :mischief: As soon as I have time (maybe in December), I'll finish the game.

14. nodikus

nodikus It's Elementary...

Hi, i'm playing this as well.
    If your playing britain, i've found that the French don't seem to actually do anything. I've had to take back rheim 3 times and Paris twice. I havn't been able to make a single offensive move beyond taking Brussels. Good luck if your planning your offensives with French attacks in mind.
    Having far more success against the ottomans, though.

What difficulty are you on?

15. IronMan2055

IronMan2055 Korra 2011

that's what the nazi's thought to

16. Kan' Sharuminar

Kan' Sharuminar Fluffy

nodikus Aye, I'm not depending on my AI allies for anything, but they're doing better than in my first game as Britain. I've reinforced French cities with my own units as well.

Think I'm playing Noble right now.

IronMan2055True, but the Nazi's were already in France at that point. We have free access at this point. Hardly need to try and bluff the French as to where we're landing. They're having a hard enough time as it is.

Apologies to all for lack of updates, I hoped to get one done yesterday or today. Well yesterday I was too busy, and today I'm too tired. I'll try and make it up this weekend.

17. IronMan2055

IronMan2055 Korra 2011

i meant in wwII the nazis thought D-day would happen at calais because it's the shortest point across the english channel. also this is ww1 there is no nazi's. Ohh there's spiked helmets though

18. Red Door

Red Door Man of Mayhem

Actually, the allies left them a "message" that said they would be landing at Calais.

19. Kan' Sharuminar

Kan' Sharuminar Fluffy

Allies: Guys! Guys! We're gonna be landing over there at Calais! Really!
    Axis: Hmm, I suppose it wouldn't hurt to take a look *wanders off*
    Allies: Ah ah, gotcha! We're over here in Normandy!
    Axis: Well, darn.

20. IronMan2055

IronMan2055 Korra 2011

notes that at the same time Kan is fighting WWI and II and is currently atempting to destroy the nation he will control in little over 30 years.