1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

INFORMATIONAL Domestic City Placement Poll

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Demo Game II: Polls' started by Stuck_as_a_Mac, Oct 27, 2002.

?

Which City Proposal Sites Do You Like

Poll closed Oct 30, 2002.
  1. Site A

8 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. Site B

2 vote(s)
    10.0%
  3. Site C

8 vote(s)
    40.0%
  4. Site D

5 vote(s)
    25.0%
  5. Site E

1 vote(s)
    5.0%
  6. Site F

2 vote(s)
    10.0%
  7. Site G

14 vote(s)
    70.0%
  8. Site H

10 vote(s)
    50.0%
  9. Site I

5 vote(s)
    25.0%
  10. Site J

13 vote(s)
    65.0%
  11. Site K

2 vote(s)
    10.0%
  12. Abstain

1 vote(s)
    5.0%
  13. Other

3 vote(s)
    15.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Bill_in_PDX

Bill_in_PDX Grumpy Submariner

I think another way to narrow it down would be by general direction of expansion. I applaud Stuck for this initial effort. Given our geography, this is a much more complicated situation than we faced in Game 1.

The problem I see here is that there is a disconnect in our comments as compared to poll results. For example, I hear many say that we need to expand toward the land bridge to cut off the americans, but our poll results say go to the west.

I think that can be chalked up to the question asked in this poll being taken as "what is the best city spot", which may well be different than "where is the best strategic location to put the next city?"

Further, B H & A are basically the same place, as are J & D. So to be realistic, you would need to consider those spots (both with 18 votes combined) as the leaders.

See how messy it gets?

This is what I recommend. Run a poll first that asks what direction to expand toward, and then poll on city priorities within those sectors for example:

===========
    Where should Fanatika focus building it's next cities?

1) Toward the east, the landbridge and America
    2) Toward the southwest, the newly liberated Aztec lands and Japan
    3) Toward the northwest, the tundra and furs

===========

Assuming one of those wins, then you can run a poll to determine optimal city location. For example, if toward the americans won:

===========
    Where shall our next city be built?

Position A
    Position B
    Position C
    Position H

================

Just some suggestions, but I think some immediate polling in these topics would help everyone get their arms around the situation.

Bill

2. FortyJ

FortyJ Deity

Ideally that would be a good way to proceed, but we're rapidly running out of time. We now have less than 36 hours until the next turn chat and we already have one settler camped NW of Bavaria and another in production in Valhalla. We need to choose a destination (or two) quickly!

The top three sites (H, G, & J), all of which have the approval of at least 50% of the respondents in this poll, each represent one of the three possible directions (SE, NW, & W respectively). I suggest we poll these three sites to determine the best location for our next city.... This would, in a sense, kill two birds with one stone (ie. if H were to win, then we could infer that the people wish to expand to the SE, etc.)

Note: Just so everyone realizes that my persistence is not some way of pushing my agenda through, I personally believe that site A is superior to site H, but it seems that I'm in the minority. I just want to see this cleared up before the turn chat so that the domestic department is not blamed for cancelling the turn chat!

3. Stuck_as_a_Mac

Stuck_as_a_Mac Aptenodytes forsteri

okay.. unfortunatly due to the downage, the poll may not be able to reach quorm by the TC. I am posting the polls now. One on J, one on G.

4. Stuck_as_a_Mac

Stuck_as_a_Mac Aptenodytes forsteri

5. Cyc

Cyc Looking for the door...

And you people vote for this man?

6. donsig

donsig Low level intermediary

I'm voting no in both polls.

7. Bill_in_PDX

Bill_in_PDX Grumpy Submariner

I feel that we should be more interested in building our cities in the correct location as compared to the need to meet a artificial turn chat deadline. That is why I offered up my solution above.

Barring that, I feel that we are ignoring the A-B-H spot in the east which had a combined 20 votes.

8. Plexus

Plexus Architeuthidae puericomedentis

My thoughts exactly, if you look at the numbers: here are the real results:

1) A/B/H- 20
    2) J/D- 18
    3) G- 14
    4) C- 8
    5) I- 5
    6) F/K- 4

In reality, we should be polling for H(10 votes) and J(13 votes) as them being the most voted for of the most voted for areas.

9. Danke

Danke Judge Advocate

Please bear in mind that in this poll a decent spot can get a lot of votes for *eventual* settlement. That in no way means that the site with the most votes is a priority for the *next* settlement. This makes a huge difference in determining immediate policy.