1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Informational Poll: Trading Techs

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Demo Game II: Polls' started by eyrei, Dec 26, 2002.

?

Should we make the trades listed below?

Poll closed Dec 28, 2002.
  1. Yes

9 vote(s)
    64.3%
  2. No

4 vote(s)
    28.6%
  3. Abstain

1 vote(s)
    7.1%
  1. eyrei

eyrei Deity Retired Moderator

This is an informational quick poll to be used by the trade department to decide whether the citizens support this trade deal with the Babylonians. In this trade, we would offer 3gpt, 706 gold and incense for the banking technology. We could then trade banking to Zululand and the Iroquois for the gunpowder and astronomy techs, as they have not researched banking yet. I feel it is necessary to post this poll because this deal will likely not be available next turn chat.

2. donsig

donsig Low level intermediary

Informational quick poll? What is that? Do you remember eyrei that quick polls cannot be used to make deals with a duration (gpt or luxury exports)? Perhaps that *q* word should be removed from this poll....

I have voted no. The trade is a good idea but not for our whole treasury. Substitute a higher gpt to lower the initial payout and I would support the deal. Say 30gpt and 262g up front. Something like that. What will be the use of jumping to get gunpowder if we cannot upgrade our forces? Also, any idea if we can recoup some gold in the second tier of trades? (Do the Zulus and Iroquois ahve any gold?)

3. Cyc

Cyc Looking for the door...

I voted "NO" also, eyrei. Although I like any tech that gets us closer to Democracy, we are not ready for a Democracy right now, so that is kind of cancelled out. Banking is a good tech, but it will be cheaper in the future. Finally, unless we can recoup megabucks or megatechs from dealing Banking out to other tribes, I see no reason to bring these tribes closer to Democracy.

4. FortyJ

FortyJ Deity

I'm voting Yes. 700g will be recouped before the end of the turn chat (approx 7 turns). This is a small price to pay for 3 new techs plus any additional gold or info from the other nations.

Also, can we ammend this to include tertiary deals with other nations, such as England, China, India, etc...?

5. Chieftess

Chieftess Moderator Retired Moderator

The 700g is more than worth it. At the current rate, it'll be 40 turns (that's 4,000 gold! - that we save, so it more than pays for itself) At 50% (about 108 gpt), it's 1100 gold to research it ourselves. It's MUCH cheaper to get it from the babs, then to trade it for more techs. If we fail to trade now, we lose the vital industrial edge!

6. eyrei

eyrei Deity Retired Moderator

I did not post this poll to be binding, but I wanted to give the DP at least some idea of what citizens that do not normally attend turn chats think about this, because it is most likely going to come down to a spot vote.

7. Stuck_as_a_Mac

Stuck_as_a_Mac Aptenodytes forsteri

I voted yes.
    Sure were going to end up spending alot of gold on this, but think of what else we can get!

8. Cyc

Cyc Looking for the door...

We are not going to get much Stuck. What we do get we will give away, so there is no real gain. We will be broke and have techs that are on the tech tree branch that we are not aiming for. We are merely trading here for the sake of trading, which is a waste of time in my opinion. If you want to sell out our knowledge to other tribes, at least use the trades to ease war tensions. Not just so you can say "we made THESE trades today, look at me".

9. Chieftess

If we don't make trades, the AI won't trade with us period! I've had that happen in other games.

10. Chieftess

Just a note about the trades: bclg came into the chat and said he liked the Babylonian trade:

11. Veera Anlai

Veera Anlai Southern Belle

I'd vote yes on this. I feel the trade is worth it ^_^

12. Fier Canadien

Fier Canadien Citizen

And to overpass us even more quickly than they do now.

But still, I voted yes because we cannot afford to stay much longer back in the technology front. We are currently a warrior civilization and war cannot be won if we have significantly old-tech units. Banking, astronomy and gunpowder will bring us closer to the industrial age, and closer to the Panzer.