Installing the BUG mod on OSX 10.8

dcmort93

The Stig
Could anyone be so kind as to post a step by step guide for installing the BUG mod in custom assets on OSX 10.8. I've searched all over the forums but I could not for the life of me find one and there isn't a guide on the BUG mod website.

Thanks in advance

To the best of my knowledge, you install BUG mod on any version of Mac OSX in the same manner. I am not aware of anything special for OSX 10.8.

First, you need to do a minor edit. Info courtesy of AlanH:

You have to edit the Python file:

/Applications/Civilization IV/Beyond the Sword/Mods/BUG Mod/Assets/Python/BUG/BugUtil.py

and delete line 699. If you don't have a text editor with line numbers, just search for, and delete, the line:

newFunc.__name__ = function.__name__

Next you follow the instructions in the text file that is in the BUG package. I think I have seen people posting that they could only find the auto install not the manual, which is the way to do it on a Mac. So, from an older BUG text file here are the manual install directions:

INSTALLATION

WARNING: You should never modify or replace the original BTS Assets files.

To install BUG as a mod so that you must load it to play, place the folder that contains this README file into your BTS's Mods folder.

/Applications
……./Civilization IV
…….../Beyond the Sword
……….../Mods
………….../BUG Mod

To install BUG so that it is always active with your games (this will allow you to use it with succession games and games you open from the CivFanatics forum), you must first copy the files and folders from the Assets folder into your CustomAssets folder. Next create a "BUG Mod" folder next to CustomAssets and copy the Info and UserSettings folders into it. Finally, copy the files inside PrivateMaps into BTS's PublicMaps folder.

At each step it is important that you tell it to overwrite files.

~/Documents
………../Beyond the Sword
&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;.../CustomAssets <-- folders in Assets go here
&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;./BUG Mod <-- create this folder
&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;.Info <-- coyp these two folders here
&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;.UserSettings
&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;./PublicMaps <-- copy files from PrivateMaps here

____________________________________________________________________________________________________
CONFIGURATION

Once you start a game with BUG you can customize how BUG looks by hitting ALT + CTRL + O to get to the BUG Options screen. It has many tabs to organize the settings, and they are all written to INI files inside the UserSettings folder. You can also change them in these files, but this is only necessary for a handful of options.

I Edited the locations to be appropriate for the Mac. If you used a Custom install location for the game when you installed it, or moved its location later, use the folder names that you chose. ("~/" means your user folder. The dots "&#8230;." were added by me because CFF formatting ignores leading spaces. The dots are only there to create indentations in the instructions to make the file locations clearer.)

Thanks for the help. I was doing some tinkering on my own earlier and got everything working for the most part. The only thing I needed was that python fix.

Glad to help. :)

It's been a year since I ran Civ IV on OSX. Do I recall right that with BUG for Mac, you can have it working for multiplayer or compatibility with unmoved saves, but not both?

According to past posts in the General Discussion CIV forum, BUG probably does not work with multiplayer. That applies to any OS. They said it might work but they did not plan on it doing so and doubted that it would.

Top Bottom