IO3 - All of Rome's Cities are Mighty!

1. Will we be using variants?
2. How shall we set the game up? (Game settings, type of map, size, AI count, important things)
3. What are the strengths and weaknesses of the Dutch, and how can we emphasize one and limit the other?
4. What would we name the thing?

1) yes please, something a bit more exacting this time though?
2) I vote epic (marathon is a bit too long for SG), anything except archipelago (too easy) also we're playing at a disadvantage on Pangaea, I usually play either standard or large, I'd go with default AIs.
3) UU is good for anything that needs a Navy (you're getting a 4 space galleon), so is the UB (dike gives you water hammers as well as river ones). Fishing and agri are starting techs (so we would like food and sea resources in BFC for cap). Willem is creative & financial, so early border pops, and strong cottages.
Basically we want to run a financial and coastal game to get the best out of Willem and his crazy Oranjes.
4) IO4 Pass the dutchie?/ IO4 Keep off the grass.

I'd definitely like to play! Anyways, wasn't the original point of playing a quick SG like this before the SGOTM for you guys to see how us guys new to your team would play and report?

4) IO4 Pass the dutchie?/ IO4 Keep off the grass.

I like both of these, or
- IO4 Our man in Amsterdam
- IO4 Sex, Drugs and rock and roll more Drugs

I like both of these, or
- IO4 Our man in Amsterdam
- IO4 Sex, Drugs and rock and roll more Drugs

Hmm... i like that last one, a name like that can inspire some sort of fun variant.

1) Name leads to variant or variant leads to name; something to do with drugs eh?

2) Normal default settings; FRACTAL (other types too predictable); no huts; no random events; at least monarch difficulty, I would prefer emperor though.

3) Not much I know from practice, but everyone said at least what I could assume. A financial leader that can REX efficiently (free border pops and 3 commerce tiles from the start if possible). Can also support military as well. WvO, I guess he would be a solid warmonger as well. No experience with his UU or UB. But at least UU timing of existence is long-lasting and a better levee is hard to sneeze at.

4) Well I'm on the East coast. I'm not sure if you can really try to coordinate by time zones and make it that much more efficient. Some may work late shifts, some may have access to the forums at work, lots of factors to account for aside time. At any rate, I'll go at point.

With that said, with SGOTM it wouldn't be bad to figure out a specific order based on our strengths. For example, our best REXer might want to go 2nd or 3rd, our best mobilizer might want to precede our best warmonger, etc. I think that can be possible. Then again, I have to remember everything is not like baseball :lol: At least we can discuss plans prior to being at the plate.

OOOOOO! Here's a variant:
Let's be hippies!
a) Win by culture, power of love and peace.
b) All our cities must have hospitals
c) Must run Environmentalism rest of game as soon as we get it. Maybe force all civs to be running the civic by victory turn.
d) Must have a NP city.
e) Some sort of requirement in terms of # of forests remaining by victory turn. Like (1 : 1) for (forests : our cities).

Culture vic here would happen in the modern age since we must be environmental and health oriented nation (gotta give out those free vicodins and codeines). The forest requirement could be tricky, forcing us to MM and make solid choices in worker actions (something you mentioned you wanted to do IO IIRC).

For those of that love being builders, culture game is automatically that. Plus the dike being coastal allows those coastal cities with a colossus or glh can use that dike to keep making more wonders/culture.

With this variant I earlier preferred map settings can still work. Difficulty however I would probably lower this to monarch just because we are limited to one true victory condition while all others are enabled. Plus there will be a lot of finesse required in this game compared the one we just finished, which showed basically the power of brute force.

I like it. Flower Power.... yeah.

I think the hospital requirement is the hardest of the variants to achieve.
Usually with a culture game, it is a race to Liberalism, and after that you turn research off and go 100% culture.

Emperor would be best, me thinks.

UU is very handy, but only for conquest/domination victories, otherwise you don't really need the extra space.
UB is very handy, but only for space. It just comes too late to make a big difference.

Creative/Financial is an awesome combo though.

I too am worried about the hospital aspect, but it is at least a more unique variant. It forces us to keep researching and not put as much into the culture slider until we do get medicine. The UB will be more valuable for late culture slider action I think.

Hard to judge if emperor is doable. That's why I suggested monarch. But then again, half of us do play emperor. I guess it would be up to everyone else to see if they would be willing to make a significant jump (noble to emperor).

Hard to judge if emperor is doable. That's why I suggested monarch. But then again, half of us do play emperor. I guess it would be up to everyone else to see if they would be willing to make a significant jump (noble to emperor).

OK, I am happy with Monarch. It is close enough to Emperor to make it worthwhile practice.

IO, the team thread is open, do you want to go any make a few reserved posts.

First post might be a general roster, so we can see who is currently playing, who is next....

We should also have one post for the team plan and the general strategy. Deciding on the tech path at the start is easy, but sticking to it can be really hard.

Erstmal...

I'll make the reserved posts, and we're going with the Flower Power variant, because we can... we can have the discussions later.

And I like the name too, so we'll probably go with that.

I'll load up the start tonight.

IO4 - Sex, Drugs, and more Drugs!

All right, I got the game set up. I'll start the new thread in a minute.

I gave us an archipelago map, and I manipulated the AIs to give us Montezuma, Shaka Zulu, Catherine the Great, Ragnar, Genghis Khan, and Frederick the Great. Savvy?

I also put it on Quick speed, turned on random events and huts, in a duel size map, on Deity. Is this OK?

All right, I got the game set up. I'll start the new thread in a minute.

I gave us an archipelago map, and I manipulated the AIs to give us Montezuma, Shaka Zulu, Catherine the Great, Ragnar, Genghis Khan, and Frederick the Great. Savvy?

I also put it on Quick speed, turned on random events and huts, in a duel size map, on Deity. Is this OK?

Awesome, all of my favourite settings. :lol:

I hope you didn't forget Raging Barbarians. :cool:

Top Bottom