Irritating Problem (Part 1 Resolved - Thanks for the Help! But now Part 2)

DharmaMcLaren

Warlord
Well, I posted this in the bugs thread, but I'm not certain it's a general bug (it doesn't seem to be, from what I've seen, anyway).

Basically, I've got Civ IV BtS, fully updated - it's from Direct2Drive, which may be important - and I can install the mod, I just can't load it. It brings up this error message, saying there's a problem here:
<MyCivIVBtSFilePath>\Mods\Fall from Heaven 2 030\Assets\XML\Civilizations\Civ4LeaderHeadInfos.xml,
specifically on every line with "ERA_ORDE" and all the other "ERA_<religion abbreviation>", which is seemingly to do with diplomacy screen music (such troubles over such a trivial thing...).

Here's a screenshot of the first popup box I get when trying to load (it pops up in front of the mod loading box):
Spoiler :

They're all like that, but with ERA_LEAF, ERA_RUNE, ERA_OCTO, etc., and each one will come up a few times (probably referring to the same tag in a different place [but all in the same document]).

I'm desparate to get playing, the new version looks really good.

Does anyone know what's amiss and how to fix it? Can anyone offer help?

Thanks,
Jordan.

FWIW I've got BTS from Direct2Drive and am running FFH without any problems.

Thanks for that, that means it's not a problem with the game itself, which is heartening. Presumably, it's the XML then, but if that's the same as everyone else's... It's very odd. Could someone with a knowledge of XML maybe examine the file in question?

Are you sure you got the whole mod and not only the patch?

The mod is like ~320MB big, were the patch is applied after you install the mod and maybe the mediapack. Be sure you have got them in the right directories.

You may have simply installed the mod in the wrong directory.

That's... entirely possible. :p
It seems that I've only got 28.2MB in the folder C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Mods\Fall from Heaven 2 030, so yeah, I might just not have the actual mod. Which mod is it? Just FfH 2?
And which directory should it be put in? I just let the installer thingy do it automatically.

That's... entirely possible. :p
It seems that I've only got 28.2MB in the folder C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Mods\Fall from Heaven 2 030, so yeah, I might just not have the actual mod. Which mod is it? Just FfH 2?
And which directory should it be put in? I just let the installer thingy do it automatically.

If your running Vista 64 thats possibly your problem there. I dont know what its like under Vista 32 but presume its similar in that there are two Program File folders with Civ IV in it.

The mod has to be installed into the Firaxis folder thats in Program Files (x86) rather than the Firaxis folder thats in the Program Files folder.

I know it seems like a little thing but thats how it is with Vista 64. Two folders exactly the same except the one to install the mods into is the Program Files (x86) path.

Well, problem one is solved: I just didn't have the patch installed. >.>
I feel kinda stupid that that was such a simple problem.

However, now I get this joyous new message that prevents me from accessing it. My computer has seen fit to tell me this:

Spoiler :

It then opens the game, but the game doesn't load anything that resembled the game, if that makes sense. It just sits there, a copy of the screen behind it, like it's crashed. So, that's a little annoying. And then another identical box pops up, and when I click "OK", the still almost-game screen closes.

I really have no idea what that new message means means, sigh. Can anyone help? (This is getting silly -_-)

Just to make sure you have downloaded the Full mod and not just the patch...

In the screenshot below I highlighted in black the two places
where you can download the full mod after following this link.

Attachments

• download.JPG
    download.JPG
    163.6 KB · Views: 107
Ok had to check ;)
For my first download at CFC (eons ago) I scrolled down and missed them.

I have no other ideas but I'm sure someone here will. Good luck and godspeed.

Have you tried loading the mod through the main program? The most obvious problem in my mind is that you may not have the main program in the default location, and therefore the link is pointing to the wrong location, either for the "target" file or for the "start in" directory. Trying to load FfH II via BtS would eliminate that possible problem, one way or another.

What I think might help is if someone with a working version could compress and upload their FfH2 folder somewhere, and post the filepath, so I could put it there on my computer. That might work. I'm running Windows XP Home Edition, by the way.

If you could give us more info it might help.

Like the exact path you have it installed on etc.

Also why dont you uninstall it completely and try reinstalling from fresh. I mean completely like going in and manually removing all the folders and file associations after you have used the auto uninstall and cleaned up the registry etc.

C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Mods\Fall from Heaven 2 030 is the filepath I'm using. Sorry, I try to give as much information as possible. I'll try reinstalling it like that, thanks.

I think a dodgy instal is the only problem I can come up with. What are your sys specs etc too? I would also drop an email to D2D explaining the problems (you probably wont get a reply but anyway) and id also go as far as to redownload it and use the newer d/l when reinstalling.

I know its painfull but if you want to get it working its best to try everything.

Top Bottom