Is AFTERWORLD Completely Broken, not worth playing?

arkantos6690

Chieftain
Civ 4 Beyond the Sword. Afterworld scenario.
I want, very much, to like it.
Could someone involved in creating it please reply:

1. Is the game totally broken and buggy to the point that it is unplayable? That is very much how it seems. If so, why would Sid Meier even allow it to be included?

2. Why can't you zoom out?

3. Why can't you tell how many hits a character has left before dying?

4. Many of the special ability icons seem to do nothing. It is not clear HOW to use / deploy abilities. Why isn't there a distinctive sound or visible effect, so you know that something happened. For example the green grid cube DOES appear, you can see it.

5. Why don't things work? I deploy the green protection cube, and it does NOTHING, the zombies walk right through it, they attack right through it.

6. It would be fair and reasonable if the zombies hid in dark areas of the map, but they seem to just Magically pop into existence randomly. That is immensely frustrating and tedious. Is this just my imagination?

7. I got the pyramid shaped device named something like deception or decoy. I carried it to a console, and NOTHING HAPPENS. Why?

8. Where is the MANUAL explaining the mechanics, the interface of the game??

9 Something ENRAGING is that if you tell a figure to move somewhere, it suddenly takes a strange path somewhere else. You end up with a stranded character. This needs to be fixed.

10. Why isn't there a sound effect, or a visible thing to let you know that something has worked. I click on "upgrade" or "heal" and it is as if the game just ignores me.

WHERE is the number/ chart/ bar/ something to show how much life a character has left? Every fifteen seconds, "GAME OVER YOU LET SOMEONE DIE" gets old very fast.

Years since I played Afterworld. I don't remember all the issues you mention but it did crash on me in the final battle.

Ultimately, if you're not enjoying it, play something different.

Think of it more as a proof of concept, showing how different a direction a modder could take the civ engine. It's not a fully finished and polished game.

So, you begin a meal at a restaurant, and suddenly there are things missing from your order and things taste strange.
Oh, don't think of it as what it we SAID it was. It isn't food or pleasure. I'ts just a "proof of concept"

I'd see the analogy more along the lines:
A customer orders a meal at a restaurant.
The kitchen sends out a complementary amuse-bouche.
The customer doesn't like it.

This analogy is bad because you pay at the restaurant and modders offer you something for free. Take it or leave it. Here I see a rather entitled tone in how you talk about mods.

This analogy is bad because you pay at the restaurant and modders offer you something for free. Take it or leave it. Here I see a rather entitled tone in how you talk about mods.
A customer orders guest asks for a meal at a restaurant feast.
The kitchen host sends out a complementary amuse-bouche.
The customer guest doesn't like it.

However, Afterworld came with BtS for which you paid. I think it was included with the "Civ4 can do even this!" mindset. So the mod may be free, but it's inclusion was by commercial means.
So the complain is valid against Fyraxis but not against the modder - unless he was a paid worker of Fyraxis.

That's fair, maybe the correct avenue of complaint then is writing a letter to Firaxis instead of posting in a forum that is only read by hobby modders instead of corporate representatives?

Top Bottom