1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Is anyone else disappointed by the quotes for Techs/Wonders?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Panixs, Sep 29, 2016.

1. Truronian

Truronian Quite unfamiliar Retired Moderator

I like them. They're obviously no where near SMAC level, but the modern elements help make up for the pre-1900 focus the Civ games have IMO.

2. LDiCesare

LDiCesare Deity

The few I read were so bad that I decided they just don't exist. Not reading them makes the game better.

3. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

I just discovered the Lily Tomlin quote. Ugh, that's bad. The problem with "funny" jokes is they don't work without proper delivery. And Sean Bean delivers the lines straight. Although I should say some of the jokes do work somewhat with his delivery, I like the Mark Twain one. I'm all for the Chuck Yeager one and Vince Lombardi one, but some of the modern quotes from so called comedians need to go away. Or go with an actual funny comedian like George Carlin. :)

4. Lord Tirian

Lord Tirian Erratic Poster

Especially the delivery. Sean Bean delivers them straight, making them sound more like gallows humour than a flippant remark.

This said, the quotes are not bad, I just wish they used their clever system of random quotes and expanded it a bit more to allow for more variation in tone and "seriousness" of the quotes. That would make the flippant quotes, better, too, because then they feel like clever little easter eggs that come up every now and then.

5. LoneDragon

LoneDragon Warlord

Which Mark Twain quote?

6. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

I can't remember exactly. Something about a man who doesn't read is uninformed, but a man who reads the newspaper is misinformed.

edit: The one above may not be the Mark Twain one, or perhaps there are two Twain quotes on the game. The one I just found out in game is: "Writing is easy, all you have to do is cross out the wrong words". I like this quote as well as the above one.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2016