Is civ 5 a step in the right direction or the wrong direction.

?

• Wrong direction

Votes: 206 44.9%
  • Right direction

Votes: 212 46.2%
  • dont know

Votes: 41 8.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Quick and concise for me:

Step in the right direction - some pretty revolutionary ideas, some hilariously bad implementations in some regards (hi combat AI) but if you have to step through some mud to get to the burger joint, it's still a step in the right direction.

Depends if you want fast food/junk food or a healthy, satisfying meal of course. ;)

I'd rather go to the latter rather than the former.

I like McDonalds.

help

(my point stands - 90% of the problem with Civ5 is in the implementation. I was more excited about the previews of Civ5 than any other game just due to the proposed mechanic changes. Playing it on the other hand... eh.)

I like McDonalds.

help

Fair enough. Everyone has different tastes. :)

I don't find it as filling though.

Certainly isn't organic anyway. Lol.

In a way, Civ V itself is like McDonald's. It tries to attract a large audience, and brings many people to it, yet some people want something more refined. They think the burgers taste... cheap. And yet to others, it simply taste better than some fancy meal, and they find it easy accessible and keep wanting to go back. I'm one of those people.

I'd say it's a step in the right direction, but it still has a way to go to be better than IV, even though I like it better even now.

Very important distinction. I enjoy Civ V more than I enjoy Civ IV, even though I acknowledge that the former is a lesser product at its current state than the latter at its end state (because god knows we can't refer to IV's "finished state" – it's still monumentally broken and always will be).

I'm really enjoying it lately. Still needs a bit more content like espionage/some extra techs/extra wonders although I don't see how they would fit. More positive modifiers for diplo, maybe religion, better UN etc. Just more open-ended playstyle. But you could say that about any vanilla Civ version. Love the graphics and sounds and I like the global happiness and 1UPT if the AI improves. The more common objections to this game are over my head, in my games on King I don't notice any problems.

3. poor combat ai while I can live with it as it is its still not up to civ 4 standereds.

To be fair, I don't think the combat AI is less good than Civ 4 but the 1upt have made it flaws more visibles.

In civ4 all the AI needed to do was to create a SOD and march on your territories until it win or you manage to destroy it.

In civ5 however, it now need to concern itself with unit position, melee and ranged score, etc.

It has been improved since the release but it's still too easy to lure the AI into a dead trap.

wow the votes are even now and that does not take into account all the people run off by the pro civ 5 guys that just berade and bash anyone who does not like civ 5.

wow the votes are even now and that does not take into account all the people run off by the pro civ 5 guys that just berade and bash anyone who does not like civ 5.

They're not even. And it doesn't count those who spend their time playing civ instead of listening to the haters on the forums, or the casual gamers who haven't found the forums yet because they're new to civ.

Moderator Action: Please try to avoid using the word "haters" to describe those that don't like the game, it's unnecessarily inflammatory. Thanks.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

I've been playing CivWorld for almost 2 weeks now and I can say civ5 is 100% the wrong direction.

They're not even. And it doesn't count those who spend their time playing civ instead of listening to the haters on the forums, or the casual gamers who haven't found the forums yet because they're new to civ.

they are only off by 4% so there relativley even.;)

I've been playing CivWorld for almost 2 weeks now and I can say civ5 is 100% the wrong direction.

The two are not related except for the basic concept. If anything, it's splitting Civ into two trails. If CivWorld were called Civ V, that would be a different story. But Sid has made it pretty clear that CivWorld is NOT Civ V.

The two are not related except for the basic concept. If anything, it's splitting Civ into two trails. If CivWorld were called Civ V, that would be a different story. But Sid has made it pretty clear that CivWorld is NOT Civ V.

you just contradicted yourself. they are related and he stated that civ world was better.

It's like comparing Mario Kart to Super Mario. Same game, but different ideas. The direction of one does not indicate the direction of the other.

no its not one is a kart racer and the other a platformer. these are both civ games.

One is a streamlined civ game, which shows that V was barely streamlined at all. After all, V added just as many features as it removed.

5 is the most streamlined civ ever.

5 is the most streamlined civ ever.

What was added between VANILLA Civ IV and V:
1upt
Ranged Units
City Defense
Encampments
Social Policies instead of Civics
Great Generals
Unique Buildings + Improvements
Unique Abilities instead of 2 traits from a small list
More Geographically and Culturally Diverse Civs (which, in my opinion, is good)
DoFs
Denouncing
Cultural, Maritime, and Militaristic City-States
RAs
Limited Number of Strategic Resources

Good riddance to espionage (it was too confusing), health (too similar to food), and religion (unnecessarily dominated the game, not able to turn off).

Although I would like tech and map trading back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom