Is civ2 the best civ there is?

I've given everything a lot of thought, and I'm of the opinion that since the source code to civ2 was 'lost', the only future for civ2 would be in FreeCiv.

The AI is better, you can load different rule-sets and you can have a ton more civilizations in play.

I always find it a great shame that some of the loftiest talents from the Civ2 scenario league have not pooled their resources together to produce a worthy graphics patch together for Freeciv - I think my civilization experience would be complete!

What a strange question. OF COURSE Civ 2 is (was?) the best! Still, maybe it was a little richer in Test of Time? I really felt suspense in these three scenarios, and I still do, let alone animated terrain and units.

There was one thing however that always annoyed me - extremely hostile AI players. As far as I know there is no method to make them friendlier, even if you pour gold into their coffers and sell technology to them. Needles to say, cheat mode doesn't change much in the way of mutual relations either. :D

I always find it a great shame that some of the loftiest talents from the Civ2 scenario league have not pooled their resources together to produce a worthy graphics patch together for Freeciv

Does Freeciv support animated unit graphics?

There was one thing however that always annoyed me - extremely hostile AI players. As far as I know there is no method to make them friendlier, even if you pour gold into their coffers and sell technology to them.
There are a couple of friendlier AI patches floating around. One for MGE and one for ToT.

Thanks for those links Catfish! I guess it's time to try them out (finally, after soooo many years :lol:)

Does Freeciv support animated unit graphics?

I believe it does - in fact I read somewhere that someone was working on some not too long ago.

However I'm not too interested in animated graphics myself, I find they tend to slow things down.

What Freeciv does support is bigger sized tile files and in various shapes: hex is an option, for example as is standard Civ1 style maps.

I believe it does - in fact I read somewhere that someone was working on some not too long ago.

However I'm not too interested in animated graphics myself, I find they tend to slow things down.

What Freeciv does support is bigger sized tile files and in various shapes: hex is an option, for example as is standard Civ1 style maps.

What do you mean slowed things down? The turns took long because you had a lot of units and cities to figure out. The graphics and AI engine was very streamlined as opposed to the latest renditions.

Civ 2 is by far the best. No way civ 5 :spear: can touch it.

The sad thing is that Civ 2 sells for just as much as Civ 5

I found an old dusty playstation in my loft I was going to throw it out. On the way to the bins the CD compartment came open and a CD rolled out onto the floor. Civilization 2 !!!
But the PS does not work. One of these days I'll get round to getting a second hand one. I remember there are quite a few differences so it will be interesting.
I wonder what it is worth?

I found an old dusty playstation in my loft I was going to throw it out. On the way to the bins the CD compartment came open and a CD rolled out onto the floor. Civilization 2 !!!
But the PS does not work. One of these days I'll get round to getting a second hand one. I remember there are quite a few differences so it will be interesting.
I wonder what it is worth?

hehe i was cleaning up and found alien crossfire last week!!

To answer the OP, i prefer civ 4 if im honest, but- ive spent more time on civ 2 than any other.

Civ 2, in context, is the best.
Civ 4 is the best of the franchise on many (most) levels, though, which does not say much about Civ 5.
Civ 1 was ground-breaking.
But Civ 2 is the best, despite many well known shortcomings.

Top Bottom