Is Civ6 doomed? the problem of balance

When it comes to strategic resources I sort of agree. I liked the system in V however... at least strategic resources are sparse compared to IV where unless you had a really bad start almost everyone in the entire game had every strategic resource. I hated that in IV, I hated IV, period.

I also remember 'depletion' in III that was fun. You'd be marching to war, confident and then *poof* that iron mine was gone lol. It did not always happen but when it did it always seemed to be at the most inopportune time.

ditto. I really like the system in V that said... I'm open to them tinkering with the model in 6.

IIRC currently, only cities with encampments can build a unit with 1 copy of a resource. I believe upgraded units only need 1 copy (so they skirt the rule).

You make some valid points, but I'm afraid randomness is what makes Civ VI so great for me. Making the most of a tundra or dessert start is great fun.

One see's what you are getting at. To be brief

This thread has some great ideas about altering terrain and stopping spawning in non productive areas.

The game has always had a large amount of luck - combat system, who is next to you, what city states are, where the oil, iron and niter appear and so on.One cannot remove that luck from the game. Even as far back as colonization the luck was there in plentiful supply.

Too Lucky? - To me if you are saying it is now too lucky... excluding some well said tweaks I would still say it is a little more lucky. In particular, for example last night, coming across 2 city states with science within 5 turned of starting. Catch me if you can is what I thought... but then was shocked as my soldiers and scout were both wiped out in different locations, one by a horse archer and one by a cavalry unit. This time they cancelled each other out to some degree but we know this is not always the case. These 2 things are significant sway factors early on, less so than location but still luck.

This thread has value - Let us not discard some hard worked words too dismissively. They are very valid when playing multiplayer and it is here that luck needs to be toned down at least initially to allow no-one to feel doomed from the very start of a 500 turn game.

For my 2 pennies I would ask

1. Barbarian horsemen not spawn for 10 turns - difficulty level (or barb scouts do not?)
2. Envoys do not gain bonuses until a road is built between these fledgling cultures.

Hmm, start location has always had an affect on the game. Why do you think so many people are crying about the missing reroll button? Because that's what they do when they get a bad start. I'm not seeing how bad starts in VI are any worse than previous versions. Maybe I just haven't played enough games to see, but I haven't had any real painful start locations yet, so hard to really compare without playing a bad start, but still I'm not sure if this is really an issue. Are you getting something like middle of tundra with no fresh water starts? If so, I'd agree, a 3 pop maximum capital that cannot build farms probably has no chance on high difficulties.

Most starts I can live with, but this one I had yesterday.... uh yea I passed on it :)

You make some valid points, but I'm afraid randomness is what makes Civ VI so great for me. Making the most of a tundra or dessert start is great fun.

I agree.
Adding a "difficulty" bonus to the score to account for a few layers of hexes surrounding the
starting position would be one way to reward players for taking the map they're
given at the start.

Making the most of a tundra or dessert start is great fun.

A dessert start sounds great! French chateaux on chocolate mousse tiles, +6 culture.

There is clearly a lot of work that needed to be done, but more people played Civ 6 on launch day than Civ5 peak by a long shot, so I say from a financial perspective the game is not doomed

I just dont understand why they stuck with this 1UPT thing, it is an epic failure IMO, I skipped 5, but now I am hoping for some mods before I give up on my $90

- Random events were hated when they were last in the game, like the DLC in Civ V, most of the love has come after the fact

Actually I really miss the random events from Civ IV. They were one of the most immersive things on the game.

I just dont understand why they stuck with this 1UPT thing, it is an epic failure IMO, I skipped 5, but now I am hoping for some mods before I give up on my $90

The most ludicrious thing is that the way to make people de-stack units and at the same time avoid the carpets of doom was already on Civ II.

There you could stack as much units you would want. But if your stack was attacked and lost all the units would be destroyed (except if they were inside a fort or a city). AND the Zone of Control worked properly back on the time: you could really halt people's movement just by carefully placing troops and forts, and at the same time made people fear stacking units on vulnerable places. That created real strategic thinking.

Last edited:
Top Bottom