1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Is First Strike Broken?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by FM_Freyland, Nov 10, 2005.

1. FM_Freyland

FM_Freyland Vote with your wallets!

Hello

I have yet to see any archers perform a first strike, nor catapults nor any other unit. I thought at first it was because I was attacking with units immune to this defense (ex, horse archers), but nothing has happened to my swordsmen either. Since I have not seen threads on this topic, I have to assume I probably am just missing something. Fill me in?

Thanks!
    Jonathan

2. pygbe

pygbe Chieftain

I don't think you should take seriouslt the animations when looking to a combat.
    It could also be that your units simply MISSED when first-striking.

There's a nice "Combat explained" guide somewhere in this forum:
    look in Civ4 Single player Arcticles.

3. Roland Ehnström

Roland Ehnström Prince

Click the tiny "notepad" icon in the top left corner of the screen in the game. Then choose the tab "Combat Log" (or something similar). There you see EXACTLY how the combat went, mathematically! You will see that "First Strike" works as intended: If a unit with First Strike loses the first "battle", it won't take any damage.

-- Roland

4. Roland Ehnström

Roland Ehnström Prince

By the way, I have found that it is a good idea to use a unit with First Strike ability when attacking a badly wounded enemy unit. The chance of your unit defeating the enemy without itself getting damaged AT ALL greatly increases in such battles. That saves a lot of healing time.

-- Roland

5. mabellino

mabellino Muggle

I have witnessed archers etc doing first strike, granted it's usually in a defensive situation.
    I tend to avoid the first strike promos cos I rate strength and city attack as better for deterring the AI.

HTH