Is golf a sport?

Should golf qualify as a sport?

• Total voters
Archery is a sport, and golf is very similar to archery, so it is a sport too.

Chess is not a sport because it is not gauged by physical ability -- it is purely a mental exercise.

Is archery a sport? :mischief:

I consider sport to be any competition that is measured by physical ability. So golf is a sport. (but by this definition pie eating is a sport too. Oh well....:crazyeye: )

Well, would you place it there? Don't get me wrong, having played golf quite a bit before I recognize it for being extremely frustrating and difficult, but to say it's strenuous is a big time stretch.

I would certaintly classify golf as a sport, since it requires physical skills to play the game and it has an objective scoring system. It doesn't have to kill your body to be a sport.

I could say American Football isn't a sport, because it requires less endurance than Soccer, Rugby and Aussie Rules but you would disagree because it still requires a significant level of physical prowess.

have any of you guys ever tried to hit a golf ball? i mean, have you ever tried to hit it striaght and accurate? it is perhpas one of the hardest things to do on any sporting field - period.

an outdoor hobby? nonsense. it is a sport in every sense of the word...

have any of you guys ever tried to hit a golf ball? i mean, have you ever tried to hit it striaght and accurate? it is perhpas one of the hardest things to do on any sporting field - period.

I have and I said that it is indeed a sport.

Wicked hit btw while drunk on a barbeque party...

:lol:

I went to a driving range the other day, and 80% of my 'good' shots went flying off to my left. :lol:

A sport requires 3 things:Mud, Blood & Glory.

Golf has 1, 2 at best.

Hah! You've obviously never chipped in for par.

Irish Caesar said:
Men sit on the chair in front of the TV watching it and drinking beer.

A dangerous way of categorising sport I think you'll agree :eek:

I'd qualify that by saying if TV companies pay for the rights to air it, and if the competitors have to wear branded clothing, then it's modern sport.

an outdoor hobby? nonsense. it is a sport in every sense of the word...

I hope it is NOT qualified as a sport... because I sure did SUK at it this
weekend :lol: . One word explains it = pitiful :cry: . No birdies and only about 7 pars made for a loooooong day for fred.

Some people seem to think a sport has to be physically very demanding..... Weird idea...
Skill and concentration are simply fine ingredients of sport too. Just like tension, glory and disappointment.

I hope it is NOT qualified as a sport... because I sure did SUK at it this
weekend :lol: . One word explains it = pitiful :cry: . No birdies and only about 7 pars made for a loooooong day for fred.
:lol: :lol: :lol: you're probably, like, a 5 or 7 handicap :lol: so quit your sniveling :p

Ted Williams once said that the hardest thing to do in all of sports was to hit a golf ball. and this is from the mouth of a man who is considered to be the best hitter ever in baseball history. furthermore, the irony of it all is that the ball is not mving when it's struck! go figure...but the moral of the story is that golf is both an athletic endeavor as well as a cerebral one.

Golf has to be one of the hardest and most boring ports ever. I think I played a game of supa golf recently (they have larger clubs and balls) and I did extremely badly at it. I am hopeless with this sport, even though I am a lot better a most other sports.

The majority of people who think golf ISN'T a sport either suck really bad at it, or have never really played the game.

you're probably right about that marioh.

To truly appreciate and understand the fine art of golf, one needs to actually play the game.

Playing the game doesn't mean hitting a bunch of balls at a range or trying to sink a putt through a windmill either. :lol:

The majority of my friends who used to look down on golf gained a newfound appreciation and respect for the game when they actually played it.

The majority of people who think golf ISN'T a sport either suck really bad at it, or have never really played the game.

I admit I suck at golf and I'd say its not a sport. I'm also pretty lousy at soccer, but I still consider it a sport. that would be because soccer takes, athleticism, endurance, agility, and not everyone can finish a game of soccer. Golf has none of those, and I would bet most people could finish a round of golf without too much difficultly.

I admit I suck at golf and I'd say its not a sport. I'm also pretty lousy at soccer, but I still consider it a sport. that would be because soccer takes, athleticism, endurance, agility, and not everyone can finish a game of soccer. Golf has none of those, and I would bet most people could finish a round of golf without too much difficultly.

Wouldn't that really depend on the position you play in football (soccer) ? The goalkeepers sure don't look like their expanding alot of energy, and standing in front of a net stopping 10 shots a game (if that many) isn't exactly that exhausting (more bruising than anything else).

I'm sure John Daly or any other apparent "out of shape" golfer would be fully able to finish a game of football if he were playing the goaltender. :D

Under that logic, American Football isn't a sport because it requires less effort than Rugby, and you get padding. And you dont play anywhere near as much of the game in American Football.

(I love saying American Football isn't real football :D)

Top Bottom