Humankind Game by Amplitude

Civilization bingo for 19 of 60 cultures:
https://www.games2gether.com/amplit...me-gorgeous-looking-faction-cards-from-stream

Starter for 10:
(1) Assyrian, (2) Babylonian, 3) Egyptian,
(4) Harrapan, (5) Hittite, 6) Mycenaeans?,
(7) Nubian?, (8) Mayan?, 9) Phoenician/Carthaginian?,
(10) Tang Dynasty?, (9) Greek, (10) Goths/Gauls?,
(13) Persian, (14) Roman [Colosseum], (15) Franks? [Medieval],
(16) Khmer [Angkor Wat], (17) Viking, (18) Ming Dynasty? [Great Wall],
(19) German (U Boat)

If these are from the stream then I guess the answers are in there too.

Equivalent Humankind forum thread here.

I was thinking 10 was medieval Japan.

So, are there forums with the quality of discussion found here at civ fanatics that I should be checking out regarding Humankind? Or maybe we'll get another subforum on these boards?

The correct place on Civfanatics for the moment would be this one:

https://forums.civfanatics.com/forums/other-civ-related-games.534/

But I guess that's why the op phrased the title this way.

Moderator Action: Mitsho is correct, but given the natural interest of Civ VI fanatics in the game, during the infancy of Humankind we are going to permit one -- repeat, one -- active Humankind thread in the Civ VI General Discussions forum. Any additional threads that are created in the Civ VI forums will either get merged into this mega-thread or moved to Other Civ-related Games forum, which will be the long-term future location of Humankind discussion. If that discussion is robust enough for long enough we will consider a dedicated forum under "Other Games" for Humankind (like the existing Alpha Centauri and Total War forums), but we will wait to see how thing develop before doing so.

I was thinking 10 was medieval Japan.

I initially thought that but Go originated in China before it spread to Korea and Japan. Probably reading too much into it!

it’s not like you capture or are captured by or live next to Rome and therefore are influenced by their culture - and maybe then later end up all that’s left of that culture.

I remember Civ4 did this in a very rudimentary and superficial way with culture percentages for each city. It was a nice statistic to keep the imagination flowing but gameplay-wise it didn't do much.

is that there's no cultural core to a culture/civilisation
This is the crucial area for me.
We all play 10 games then all choose military for our first era then science for our second because it works best that way. We end up as a bunch of similar golems?
Does not sound good to me for MP.
For SP hey who cares, the AI will be designed to differentiate your civ from another.
More than one human though.....

I initially thought that but Go originated in China before it spread to Korea and Japan. Probably reading too much into it!
Don't know if that one is China or Japan, but unless there's an ancient variation I'm unaware of, the artist is not a go player - many of the go stones in the image are played between the lines, not on the intersections of the lines. Also, looks like black is doing much better than white. :p

Okay, reviewing go history a bit, if it's Japan, it would probably be during the Edo period, 1603-1868, if they want to represent the time go had greatest popularity in Japan (though it was popular earlier as well). But would that be renaissance or industrial? Japan resisted industrialization during that time, but other major powers were industrializing then.

In China, it was considered one of the four core arts of an educated man throughout what would be late classical and the medieval period in the game; there are multiple dynasties that could be represented.

Perhaps someone with historical knowledge of Chinese and Japanese clothing and architecture could be of more help.

The game sounds interesting. What I still don't like, and what both civ and humankind don't get right, is that there's no cultural core to a culture/civilisation that just plays out in history but that culture develops in relation to its natural surroundings and in contact and contra distinction to other human groups in its neighbourhoods. If there's a annual river flooding a culture will emerge that relates to that. They will learn from their neighbors and integrate or repel them based on available resources and interactions. I really would love to see a strategy game based on that.

A concept like that would make the game more dynamic. But I think the reason for people to play these games is that they get to play something recognizable in a historical game. In its barebones sense, a game like what you describe is very interesting to play with. But people wouldn't see the appeal of it compared to, say, playing as the Egyptians (maybe as Rameses or Cleopatra) with their ability to cultivate in floodplains and build wonders. It's familiarity that makes historical games appealing.

After further examination and comparison of costumes, I concur that Tang is correct. The man in the background has a Chinese hat. They aren't wearing poofy pants like Japan did in that era. And the man in the foreground is European, perhaps representing the embassy established by the Byzantine Empire in Tang China. At least, his clothing looks like the Byzantine guy in the picture on wikipedia for the Byzantine embassy to Tang China.

You start out as a nomadic tribe and you have to make progress before you can settle a city (and adopt a Bronze Age civ). The devs didn't say much about what you do to level up, but one thing is hunting animals to increase population. The various screenshots and intro video show mammoths and elk. The devs said mammoths are difficult to kill and you have to level up your combat strength to do it.

One of my favorite memories is when I first played Age of Empires, and seeing elephants in-game. That felt pretty great. I'm looking forward to this in Humankind.

On the note of picking new cultures/civs each era, I'm wondering if there will be any advantages to staying with the same culture or civ. I hope there's some sort of benefit.

One of my favorite memories is when I first played Age of Empires, and seeing elephants in-game. That felt pretty great. I'm looking forward to this in Humankind.

On the note of picking new cultures/civs each era, I'm wondering if there will be any advantages to staying with the same culture or civ. I hope there's some sort of benefit.

There is. In the livestream, they said that if you choose not to pick a new civ, then you don't get any new abilities or unique stuff, but you get more Fame for doing Fame-worthy things.

I am really intrigued by this game. I love the game mechanics look very interesting. I like that you seem to build your civilization over time instead of just picking a civ at the start. The fame mechanic looks interesting. I like that the game will have tactical battles. The map graphics looks fantastic.

I remember Civ4 did this in a very rudimentary and superficial way with culture percentages for each city. It was a nice statistic to keep the imagination flowing but gameplay-wise it didn't do much.
Oh but game play wise it did, because a high other culture city could revolt, give borders to other nations and flip the city in the end.

There is. In the livestream, they said that if you choose not to pick a new civ, then you don't get any new abilities or unique stuff, but you get more Fame for doing Fame-worthy things.

Hmm that's interesting. In some cases it might be best to skip some eras then, so that should add more variety as well. Looking forward to learning more about fame and the game in general.

Eagle, where can you find the stream? I'd like to give it a view when I have time today.

Honestly that's what I would like for them to add to Civ in this game. Shown the ethnicity of different citizens so you might not have just ethnic Romans living in Rome in the 21st Century. If you have another dominant ethnicity in that city, other than your own, your Roman citizens are more likely to travel to that Civ and add to their tourism.

Why did they announce it so soon? :cringe:
I wish i could just hibernate for a year...

Top Bottom