is it possible to build GL on King?

Unless you have terrible terrain with absoltely no hammers around your capital you should have no problem to grab the GL below emperor (and even on emperor it is quite possible).

If necessary set the city to production focus / assign one or two pops to hammer heavy tiles while you build it.

If necessary set the city to production focus / assign one or two pops to hammer heavy tiles while you build it.

Slightly off topic, but one thing I noticed in BNW is that the AI does this automatically now (in terms of tile allocation, not changing the focus button) whenever you are producing a wonder... nice add.

In my last king game I build the ToA, the GL and the Mausoleum of Harlicarnasus if I remember correctly, with one city and not that great a start.

My usual plan was back there to beeline writing and start building the Gl immediately, research calendar and choose philosophy as a free tech and build immediately the NC or ToA and then NC. It will put you at a severe disadvantage in growth but you will go ahead in science and can circumvent it that way.

Another good strategy is to let Ramses build it :lol:

Well yes, thats what your scouts are for :p

what numbers are you seeing by the way? Are you also seeing a slight delay in average (AI turns to GL if not you) as compared to G&K or is it only my small sample?

what numbers are you seeing by the way? Are you also seeing a slight delay in average (AI turns to GL if not you) as compared to G&K or is it only my small sample?

They build it when they reach the medieval no exceptions (8 games), to my experience. Same with the ToA.

I assume they start it after the first 50 turns and finish it on whatever time their production allows them (Immortal +)

On a sidenote: They seem to have lowered the Petra priority or is it me?

EDIT: In epic it gets always past 100+ turns.

They build it when they reach the medieval no exceptions (8 games), to my experience. Same with the ToA.

I assume they start it after the first 50 turns and finish it on whatever time their production allows them (Immortal +)

Really? Now your sample suddenly sounds stranger than mine... I still see them build it pre-50 on average, but a little closer to 50 than to 40 now... G&K was always either slightly above 40 (~42), OR above 60.

One thing seems sure though: BNW added a lot of variance to the game. :lol:

EDIT: oh, you are talking Epic, that explains it... I am talking Standard... so the numbers are similar. 100+ on Epic sounds very strange though, even for G&K (60 x 1.5 = 90).

Really? Now your sample suddenly sounds stranger than mine... I still see them build it pre-50 on average, but a little closer to 50 than to 40 now... G&K was always either slightly above 40 (~42), OR above 60.

One thing seems sure though: BNW added a lot of variance to the game. :lol:

EDIT: oh, you are talking Epic, that explains it... I am talking Standard... so the numbers are similar. 100+ on Epic sounds very strange though, even for G&K (60 x 1.5 = 90).

Cant tell you for G&K because I had only few games in higher difficulties (above Emperor) and it was standard policy to forgo all wonders unless by a miracle I could get a tech lead or time a GE. When I got the x wonder was build message I was: ''Ok,yeah, sure whats new?'' and didn't pay attention to turns.

Well I have seen it once been build in the ancient but that was my friend Ramses building it for me on a lease :lol:
They sure do wonderspam now more, but they wait a bit to start me thinks.

EDIT: Have you noticed anything peculiar with Sweden? He seems to be THE wonderspamer ever since the last patch in G&Ks.

Cant tell you for G&K because I had only few games in higher difficulties (above Emperor) and it was standard policy to forgo all wonders unless by a miracle I could get a tech lead or time a GE. When I got the x wonder was build message I was: ''Ok,yeah, sure whats new?'' and didn't pay attention to turns.

Well I have seen it once been build in the ancient but that was my friend Ramses building it for me on a lease :lol:
They sure do wonderspam now more, but they wait a bit to start me thinks.

EDIT: Have you noticed anything peculiar with Sweden? He seems to be THE wonderspamer ever since the last patch in G&Ks.

Amazingly enough, I didn't have him in any of my BNW games yet... hats off to the number of civs available in civ5.

Title says all.

I'm trying to build GL on King but that's not possible. I've tried 4-5 times but beaten by AI in every try. especially Venice building wonders in every 5 turns. :confused:

I'm building scout-monument-shrine-GL. you may think "because of shrine" but no, not about shrine. there is a space beetween "monument" and "Writing" I have to build something in that space so I'm going shrine.

any advice is appreciated :)

I routinely get GL on Emperor with 22 civs. And I don't steal workers, either.

Now, terrain is the biggest factor. You need to get at least to size 4 and have some decent production squares. Stone and Marble are best.

Pop tradition and aristocracy. If you get a pantheon, go for Monuments to the Gods.

I built it turn 67 as Rome on Epic speed.

Things that helped: I picked up Mining from a ruin. I used Liberty to spring a worker who chopped away. My capital was surrounded by plains/production type terrain.

I got an extremely lucky start today. I was Babylon, I just finished pottery on the same turn my warrior explored a ruin and gave me a free tech, writing. stop what my capital was making and started on the great library. This was on Difficulty level 6. With the dozens upon dozens of great scientists I keep getting,(I planted the first two on hills next to a river and bulbed the rest) I maintained a significant science lead. I only needed a token defense army because my troops were one tier ahead of what they were fighting. I became the underdog, not the biggest score, not the biggest army, but I had science! Early on I had to wipe out Brazil who was choking me with tourism. The guy was already mad at me for various petty things, then he starts playing nice and wants to be friends and have open borders. I took it since I wanted to convert his cities to my religion. But that really pissed him off, he declared war just after the declaration of friendship and made the Danes my ally because they didn't like Brazil either. I actively worked to keep the Danes as my ally, but it was very difficult. I was the only one who went Freedom and I was having bad unhappiness issues. I was barely keeping it floating at 0 happiness. Eventually, I guess the Danes were waiting for any excuse to turn on me. When I voted against their proposal, they denounced and declared war nearly instantly. I had all but one other player all at continuous war with me at the same time for most of the game. Their peace deals were more expensive to take then staying at war. Really. Like I am going to give you all my luxuries when I'm hovering at 0 happiness.

They tried to make it hurt more by constantly proposing to ban the luxuries I had and most of them passed. I had to really struggle to keep my happiness from dropping by taking all of the policies and building that helped at the expense of everything else.

I got my revenge. Being the first one to atomic age and sitting on a large sum of gold, I rush buy nuclear missiles and annihilate entire armies marching towards me. So fun.

at turn 452, I won a science victory. Used freedom to rush buy the last space ship part to win the game. Even got to make the new XCOM unit finally.

Why are you building the great library? That wonder is fool's gold. 3 spt is nothing, a free tech that only costs 100 science? Gee wowzer. Out of all the early wonders, why would you pick the great library? Stonehenge, pyramids, hanging gardens, colossus, temple of artemis, mausoleum, and the oracle are all much better investments
It also offers a free library (thats 75 :c5production: of the 185 wonder cost) , +1 :c5culture:, 2 writing slots and +1 GPP for a scientist. Thats not that terrible. Plus: If you use it on philosophy, you save 200 :c5science:.

It is possible on Immortal. Not easy, but possible. King? Definitely.

Why are you building the great library?
I guess it can help with some strategic slingshots, but given how early AI completes it I have never even tried on Immortal.

If you're losing the GL on King, you are doing something very wrong. I rush the GL all the time on Immortal. The trick is to chop forests, but just one worker is too slow. Either take a second worker from a CS or pop a free one from Liberty, or both, so you end up with two workers. I prefer lib because it also speeds up their improvement rate, and the 15% from tradition ain't even worth one forest.

While waiting for writing, start mining the hills (you need mining to chop forests anyway, preferably as second tech with writing third). If writing pops, finish up the workers current jobs, then chop every forest in sight. If you have the gold, buy their tiles beforehand so it's worth the full hammers (America rocks for this). Note that you may need to micro your citizens as well (well not on king lol), but at the very least set it to production focus and try to get the starting turns to complete down to 18 or less. Each first you chop cuts 2 turns off, so ideally, you should chop 4 forests and be done in 10 turns.

You might only need one worker for king, though. Hell, I've even GL rushed as Attila with no forests because I spammed pastures, and that was on Immortal too. It will be much easier on King. Of course, sometimes the AI just gets lucky and there's nothing you can do. Oh well.

I've built GL on on Emperor and, on occasion, on Immortal. Usually without even stealing a worker, because I personally consider this to be an exploit of game rules. So if you DO steal a Worker, you should have a very good chance on King, actually.

The key, as others mentioned, is chopping. It certainly helps to get a relevant tech from ruins, so playing Shoshone (and having a little bit of luck) might be a good idea if you are specifically going for GL.

I routinely get GL on Emperor with 22 civs. And I don't steal workers, either.

Now, terrain is the biggest factor. You need to get at least to size 4 and have some decent production squares. Stone and Marble are best.

Pop tradition and aristocracy. If you get a pantheon, go for Monuments to the Gods.

I've done Aristocracy as Egypt with wonder speed pantheon, and I still had to starve my people to finish in time. Liberty double worker is more consistent and you almost never need to starve.

Not worth letting Rameses build it for you! You lose the free tech which is huge early on. Try declaring war on the civ that is building it - they might switch their production to something else. I did this to Bismarck who was 1 turn away from building the leaning tower according to my spy. He switched to making landsknechts instantly and I beat him to it!

Top Bottom