Is it possible to max out two or all three Affinities?

CaptainPatch

Lifelong gamer
It seems that how far along a faction gets along in any given Affinity is based on 1) which techs get researched and 2) decision point choices. Now if a player were to research EVERY tech, would it be possible to max out more than one Affinity? (Level 10 I think it is.) Are there any limitations along the way like, "Because you are higher than ____ in Affinity X, you cannot add to your Affinity Y level"?

If you go might from the get go to get the affinity xp bonus AND asssuming that you use all your free affinities and optional choices for non dominant affinities you can easily hit 18 in your dominant affinity (through non optional quests that automatically boost your dominant affinity) and 16 in the other affinities, which is enough to get you most upgrades in the game.

The problem with that is there is a major bug where switching affinity upgrades will cause the unit to lose all previous perks. Going cruiser -> supremacy -> harmony for example will cause you to lose the gun boat-> cruiser perks AND the cruiser -> supremacy perks. You are essentially forced to stick to one upgrade path at the moment.

No. Once you have a dominant affinity (which iirc is the first affinity you get to 6) the other two level at a slower speed.

In a game where I researched the entire tech web I had dominant affinity at 18, another at 16, and the third at 14.

edit: I might have had both of the other two at 16 after researching the entire tree though I can't remember exactly as this was a couple of days ago.

My current play through I have 18 Harmony 16 Purity 16 Supremacy. I think I can max out one more Affinities with Virtues. However I did get a few free points from Digsites/Quests. I think it would be possible to max all of them out with a little luck.

You can raise all three to 18, but it takes planning, a long play-through and not a small bit of luck. Make sure to get the Might Virtue that adds bonus Affinity xp early on.

In my first game I screwed up and burned almost all my free Affinity levels on raising Purity (first game gave me tons of them from exploration) and had 18 Purity well before I burned through all the free Purity xp from teching alone, ending up with only 16 each in Harmony and Supremacy. My last game I only got one free affinity level from exploration and so ended up with 18 Harmony, 16 Purity and 17 Supremacy.

So, if a player can max all three Affinities, how does the AI decide which final Victory condition to throw at the player? Is it the first Affinity to reach 18 (or some earlier level) that sets the player's "identity"?

So, if a player can max all three Affinities, how does the AI decide which final Victory condition to throw at the player? Is it the first Affinity to reach 18 (or some earlier level) that sets the player's "identity"?

Huh? You can choose any victory you want.

I maxed out 2, but could not finish third. I believe I had it at level 17. I had all Might virtues and I had researched all the techs. I believe it could be possible, but it is really hard. I believe I wasted some affinity by going over the limit of 18 in the other two affinities. I also believe I didnt finish all the possible quests that give affinity points.

you get the victory condition through a affinity specific wonder that is also attached to a higher end technology, and once built takes some time to kick the victory in.

The affinity specific wonder is enabled for you once you hit 14 on the said affinity. Which means that you don't have to max it out, and also you can build all 3 affinity specific wonders if you choose to level up all 3 affinities (which can be done up to a certain point for all 3, and one to max out).

The best I could do so far, even in a game where I got the "42" achievement for all techs researched, was affinity 18-16-15

Because via pure research only, you can't max out all 3 affinities. There isn't enough research level up for your non-dominant affinities.

Won't say impossible of course given not enough games played by any of us, but unless some highly improbable set of quests are offered, with affinity rewards, and lot more of them than I get in games so far, you can't max 18-18-18 in all affinities by ALL RESEARCH + quests, because there aren't enough affinity level up quests offered.

Yes it is, you need to rush down might really early before any affinity research and get no less than 3 progenitor ruins that grant affinity + the base quests.

It's unlikely, but i've done it twice so far.

Yes it is, you need to rush down might really early before any affinity research and get no less than 3 progenitor ruins that grant affinity + the base quests.

It's unlikely, but i've done it twice so far.

They should have made an achievement for that

i have gotten to 18supremacy 14 purity 13harmony. Without progenitor ruins it is impossible.

It should be possible. I had 18 16 15 without even trying, and went way over in the dominant.

What you'd need to do is balance the number of levels (in regards to costs) that each Affinity achieves as dominant so that their total cost is roughly similar. That would mean progressing close to evenly through them, and alternating which one gets to the next level first.

You would probably want to rush one to 10-12ish for military purposes first, then have the other two catch up and alternate as dominant for the last levels.

Affinity cost is determined in CivBEAffinities.xml.

To achieve 18/18/18, one may need to
Get Adaptive Science ASAP
Set a dominant affinity, and choose other choice in quests.
Level up affinities somewhat evenly(this is to maximize quest reward xp), but do not switch dominant affinity.
And reserve some progenitor ruins for final levels of non-dominant affinity.

Top Bottom