[RR] Is Railroads better than Railroad Tycoon II?

I have RR Tycoon 2 and I really wish it allowed you to build tunnels. I haven't bought Railroads because it seemed too simplified.
There's also Artdink's Take the A-Train series, now at version 8, but not available in English yet. They have tunnels, full 3D city views, stocks, subways, station timetables, real estate/dept. stores and stadiums your railway co. can build.
Video (WMV)
Screenshots
Sorry if this is threadjacking, and no, I don't have anything to do with Artdink at all.

I played Artdink's A-Train a lot back when the original was first released. It was a good game. I hope its latest version is released in English soon.

I recently picked up Railroad Tycoon 2 Platinum up again. I'm now at the mission 'When walls come down'. Over the years I kind of forgot how fun this game is.

IMO, RRT3 is superior. The graphics were state of the art at release, and are still acceptable 6 years post-release.

RRT1 and RRT2 were great by their contemporary standard, but require too much micromanagement. Railroads! was a bit of a disappointment.

Biggest issue: the game crashing just when you start having fun (i.e. map gets big). :(

RT2 is very easy to play and figure out. (RT1 was even easier! But it's got too many limitations.) RT2 has a very good interface, excellent+functional graphics, and is customizable in a great many ways. No two maps are quite the same, and even running the same scenario twice isn't quite the same. RT3 was a beast to understand, and after an hour I gave up and deleted it. I still play RT2 now and then, like at least a dozen days a year. More than most other games I have.

RT2 is very easy to play and figure out. (RT1 was even easier! But it's got too many limitations.) RT2 has a very good interface, excellent+functional graphics, and is customizable in a great many ways. No two maps are quite the same, and even running the same scenario twice isn't quite the same. RT3 was a beast to understand, and after an hour I gave up and deleted it. I still play RT2 now and then, like at least a dozen days a year. More than most other games I have.

That's odd.
Everyone usually says that RRT3 is a dumbed down version.
I enjoy RRT3 but RRT2P has way more micro.
RRT3 is much easier as you can just plop down Industry in the middle of nowhere and build up a city.
Transport all your goods to the city and crush while expanding.
If you really want to get mind numbing you can just select Any Cargo with all your trains on RRT3.

RRII is scenario based which disqualifies it for me to even be discussed in the same breath as the great RR 1. I enjoyed SMR as a multiplayer game that wasn't too long. Not as fun single player.

Well, if we're going to revive an eleven year old thread...
Three years ago I bought railway empire at a steam sale, can't say it captured my attention.

But it is on sale again on steam at this moment.

In the 14 years since I last posted in this thread, I've played RT3 quite a bit. It's quite fun, and now I'd put it on par with RTII. The economic model is different, but makes a certain amount of sense with its dynamic pricing, and I like that passengers have a destination they are trying to get to. A few summers ago I played probably about half the maps in RT3, before eventually tiring of it, so it has enough content.

I picked up Railway Empire on Humble Bundle last summer but only got to the tutorial.

Bump the thread in another 11 years or so, and I might have some feedback on it as well.

Top Bottom