[RR] Is Railroads better than Railroad Tycoon II?

bioworm

Chieftain
Lets assume you ve got no CTD and other bugs (which you will clearly have) and the game works nice. Would it stil be better? I just write down the pro for every game and the didfferences, occationally look up you replies and add some more i havent thought. You can tell me your oppinion about it

Sid Meiers Railroads (SMR):
- Auctions
- Better Graphics
- more that double tracks (new tracking system)
- You can play next map even if you havent finished previous one

Railroad Tycoon II (RTII)
- Complex stock market system (you could get money from Loans and/or the stock market) and more economical information.
- Buyable laying tracks right and other little things like station buildings

Railroad Tycoon I (RTI)
- You could choose in the beginning between basic and complex economy, cut throat competition or friedly competitors etc. Thus you could start from the easy and when you have learned the game go to the advanced settings, which are more fun.

Differences

- Slightly new interface
- Cities look bigger on map
- Revenue is per load and not anymore load and distance.
- The size of the station is not covering an area but a city or recource
- The size of a station isnt anymore changing
- Recources are outside and factories inside a city

interface
I personally like the RTII interface better. I am accustomed to the new interface, but I like the RTII interface because it gets you where you want in fewer clacks and there is simply more information on everything.

Big looking cities
I dont like the big sized cities. It doesnt really matter in gameplay, I just dont like them (same thing in Civ)

Revenue per load vs. Revenue per load/distance
Prices in SMR are fixed for load and change only from the demand/offer regardless the distance you had to haul. If you thing SMR as an real life simulation, that doesnt make any sense at all. Of course there is a basic flaw in the idea, because the railroad company doesnt actually choose the destination. So, in the end it doesnt matter really seeing it from the real life perspective.

It changes the gameplay dramatically. You d been stupid to haul passengers a long distance (I liked those connect-big-cities-with-express-routes-passenger-trains-and-get-people-happy trains. I thought pasengers thanked me for not having to change the train that often). Now there is a bigger need to get everything near the production.

I d prefer something like stadart price + distance revenue. If you thing of it, its even more real-life-like. Its like this on railroads or cubs. And the gameplay would be more complicated. You had to make more difficult decitions if it is really intelligent to buy a new factory, if the other one is a little further away.

- The size of the station is not covering an area but a city or recource
- The size of a station isnt anymore changing

In RTII you could get a station which would cover a certain area. You could get a factory or a recource in this area and leace out some houses etc. Getting the perfect location was a big part of the game. Of course something like this would not be possible here , because of the new revenue system. By splitting one city in half and getting the things from one station to the other you would actually get much money for hauling a little distance.

- Recources are outside and factories inside a city
I actually like this. Not only does it make real-like-sense (you cant have factories in the 1900 somewhere outside where the is no possibility to get there, but you have to take the recources from where they come from) but I generally like that there is steady flow from the outside to the cities for manufacturing.

Conclusion
In general I would say that SMR is not as complex as RTII, amybe for the sake of getting to play the game easier. Sid Meier had a good idea in RTI. You could actually define the parameters of complexity (not only the difficutly but the complexity). I think that 's the best way to do it. You can learn playing the game in the basic modus and then swich later to the complex modus. Add then some difficulty and you will be addicted in no time.

We all love sid meiers games because of the complexity. Otherways, if you like something simple to learn, go play Counter Strike. By decreasing the complexity in the station building/revenue/economy system he downsized the quality of the game. maybe new players will get through the tutorial in 10 minutes and not in 30, but still the game looses in many things. There are some new good ideas and some decent graphic in SMR, but that doesnt cover the lack in complexity and good game design RTII had. All in one, after playing some scenarios I would get back to RTII if I hadnt already finished all scenarios of. Maybe Sid Meier (he still remains my personal God) will one day make a new railroad tycoon, which will be better.

The major thing I've noticed (and the reason I'm still playing Railroad Tycoon II) is that the newer versions don't have as many trains or maps. With RT2 Platinum there's 60+ trains and 125+ scenarios, not to mention 40 managers and 32 computer personalities. Sid Meier's Railroads doesn't have nearly the variety, and Railroad Tycoon III doesn't either. The graphics are pretty good as it is in RT2, and the variety is unparalleled, so I'm sticking with it.

RT3 was interesting too--its passenger model had passengers generated with a specific destination in mind--for example, San Francisco could generate cars of passengers wanting to go to Los Angeles San Diego, or Sacremento, and would ONLY ride a train that would take them to a station closer to their destination.

The #1 flaw in RT3, IMO, was that you could not force goods to flow "uphill" from a cheaper place to a more expensive place, even if it was part of a chain that would still make a profit. Here's an example: Let's say that iron is produced in Philadelphia, where the price is $21k a car. However, the only handy steel mill is in Pittsburgh, which is ony paying $19k for iron. Despite this, the auto plant in Baltimore will pay $32k for steel. In any realistic world, you should be able to pay the extra $2k out of your own pocket in order to force Pittsburgh to process the iron into steel so that you can sell the steel for a net profit. However, in the game, Pittsburgh will absolutely refuse iron from any place where it is not cheaper than $19k.

I like Railroads the best. Its more fun, I have already played it more then all the other RT games put together. Railroads is really more playable and with better graphics, all of this without all the headaches.

For 22.00$ CAD i think Railroads is a awesome deal. Civ Warlord was still at 35.00$ :(. Me and my friend who play Civ a lot can't get into the expansion for that price. Even though we can afford it, we compared value/price.

I think it's a great introduction game to Railroad 'simulation' if one didn't play RT series. ( i can't find them at any store or the Gold Version ?).

Since i haven't play RT series and i only got Railroads 2 days ago. I can't really say if it is better. However, this game appeals to me because it's attractive, the learning curve is short. And the mechanics are simple. Give me a couple weeks, and maybe i will be more demanding. But more an arcade style simulation in which you don't have to wait for days to finish, it's really enjoyable. I have not experience any crash.

Running at 1400x900, at 4x anti-a, all high.
on
AMD AM2 Dual Core 3600+
Asus M2N-E SLI
Seagate 320GB 7200
2x DDR2 667 1GB PC2-5300
GeForce 7600
Win XP

I agree that after playing all of them, RRT2 is by far the best railroad game out there. My boys and I still play that one occasionally.

C

better graphics, yes.
but in terms of gameplay, RR2 >>>>>>> SM's RR
I just wish we can create a game as good as RR2 with the graphics of SM's RR

You also forgot that Railroad Tycoon II (and III) have a better selection of Locomotives to use. ;)

The #1 flaw in RT3, IMO, was that you could not force goods to flow "uphill" from a cheaper place to a more expensive place, even if it was part of a chain that would still make a profit. Here's an example: Let's say that iron is produced in Philadelphia, where the price is $21k a car. However, the only handy steel mill is in Pittsburgh, which is ony paying $19k for iron. Despite this, the auto plant in Baltimore will pay $32k for steel. In any realistic world, you should be able to pay the extra $2k out of your own pocket in order to force Pittsburgh to process the iron into steel so that you can sell the steel for a net profit. However, in the game, Pittsburgh will absolutely refuse iron from any place where it is not cheaper than $19k.

Actually that shouldn't happen for a very long time. The prices of goods depend on the supply vs. demand. The only way Pittsburgh could have a low price for iron is if there are many iron 'nodes' nearby perhaps hauling iron overland or by river. In that case you just have to accept that Pitt. doesn't really need any more iron. If Philadelphia is really the only source for iron, The price in Pitt. would skyrocket.

If anything, the economic system in RT3 is really just not communicated very well. It works, but to understand what's going on with a supply chain you have to look at many different map overlays.

The major thing I've noticed (and the reason I'm still playing Railroad Tycoon II) is that the newer versions don't have as many trains or maps. With RT2 Platinum there's 60+ trains and 125+ scenarios, not to mention 40 managers and 32 computer personalities. Sid Meier's Railroads doesn't have nearly the variety, and Railroad Tycoon III doesn't either. The graphics are pretty good as it is in RT2, and the variety is unparalleled, so I'm sticking with it.

What i want to know is why the AI companies go bankrupt after a certain amount of time in RT2.

Transport tycoon deluxe !

I didnt care for the overall performance of SMRR

I found a few things such as graphics fine and the map layout but a few bugs.

After reading these posts, I may look into RRTycoon, I see III is the latest??

Thanks for any feedback!

Troll:king:

Transport tycoon deluxe !

+1 (openTTD to be exact). Its the only railroad/transport game I go back to. If only the A1 wasnt so stupid.

I enjoyed Railroads for a few days but then quickly got bored with it. Its been boxed away never to be seen again. It took me months to get bored with RRT2, although I doubt I will ever go back to it. I havent played RRT3.

Anyone have anything to offer on RT III?

I am thinking of acquiring this

Thanks

Troll

Anyone have anything to offer on RT III?

I am thinking of acquiring this

Thanks

Troll

I loved it. :goodjob:

There are some good walkthroughs on the internet that will help you understand the game alot better.

Heh, this thread is taking away my desire to reinstall and play SMR some more. But it *is* tempting me to go back to RRT2/3

So, just being made by Firaxis doesn't make Railroads! the best? Really though, they all have individual strengths.

So, just being made by Firaxis doesn't make Railroads! the best? Really though, they all have individual strengths.

Yes, indeed. I think basically it's a matter of personal perspective. Just like those who prefer Civ3 over Civ4 and vice versa, there are those who prefer RRT3 over RRT2 and those who prefer either or both to Railroads! and vice versa.

As you say, they all have individual strengths, and there is something to like (or dislike) in each and every one.

Top Bottom