Is Space Race still relevant to EQM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

elitetroops

Deity
I've been around the forums for a relatively short time, only about 5 years. In these 5 years I have barely seen any discussion on the Space Race victory condition, other than when newcomers ask about the difference between Space Race and Space Colony.

Submissions seem to be very few and far between. This is understandable, because there really is no other reason to ever play such a game than to get the box ticked for EQM. There are no Gauntlets or Challenges requiring this victory condition, and since BTS is generally considered the better and more enjoyable game, there's no other reason to go back to playing a version outdated over 10 years ago. Maybe someone on the HoF staff has better access to statistics and could tell the yearly amounts of Space Race games for the last few years? Are there any submitted in 2017?

So my question is: is it beneficial for HoF that it is still required for EQM? Or would it be better if it was treated like the Espionage victory (the category remains in HoF tables, games count towards EQM for all other categories, but the victory condition itself not part of Machiavelli)?

Players aiming for EQM is definitely a good thing for HoF. EQM is a very large and daunting task, as it should be, but the Space Race requirement really turns this up a big notch by adding the requirement of playing another game that you don't know and mostly have no interest in playing. Without the Space Race requirement it would still be a large and daunting task, but it would seem more accessible and manageable, perhaps persuading more people to still go for it.

If it was removed as an requirement for EQM, quite a few people would see their Machiavelli completed (though no new EQMs as far as I can see) and most people would have their Machiavelli score raised slightly. Some people would have their Machiavelli score lowered, among deity EQMs the only people falling into this category would be WastinTime and Misotu (Sorry guys!). Other than that I don't see any negative effects of removing this victory condition as a requirement.

Any other thoughts? Has this been discussed before?

This also relevant for the ordinary QM Machiavelli. I have no strong feelings about it but what I like would be a swift decision. Not so great to finish a couple of those and then find it out it was a waste of time in relation to QM.

Any other thoughts? Has this been discussed before?
I raised this with the other staff once I joined and the consensus was that as it would impact existing QM and EQM scores it would be unfair to change the rules retrospectively.

I raised this with the other staff once I joined and the consensus was that as it would impact existing QM and EQM scores it would be unfair to change the rules retrospectively.
That would have been before Espionage victory set a precedent as a game type that counts towards EQM, but isn't included in Machiavelli, right? So did you discuss that possibility, or were you back then thinking about removing those games completely from the EQM/QM rankings?

In any case, existing QM and EQM scores are impacted every time a new game is submitted to HoF. Nobody can expect their score to last forever. This change would limit the effect to only affect Machiavelli scores to make it an average of 8 instead of average of 9. A very small effect that is unlikely to have much impact on the overall standings in the tables.

"It would impact the score" is so vague, that I think it would be best to consider what this impact would really be. At the very worse, there are a couple of players with Machiavelli completed and Space Race score is about 100 points higher than average Machiavelli score. For these players, Machiavelli score would drop about 12 points and overall EQM score would drop 2 points. And these are really the worst possible cases. If Space Race score is 50 points higher than Machiavelli average, the drop is just over 6 points in Machiavelli and about 1 for overall EQM rating. Maybe there would be a couple of players that drop one slot in the rankings, but I doubt even that would happen for emperor and higher, since the score differences are in general so large.

Some people could potentially have their EQM level raised to a higher difficulty. These would be the main cause to changes in the tables.

Last edited:
Some people would have their Machiavelli score lowered, among deity EQMs the only people falling into this category would be WastinTime and Misotu (Sorry guys!). Other than that I don't see any negative effects of removing this victory condition as a requirement.
Tagging @WastinTime and @Misotu to make sure they see this!

It does seem to make no sense to have space race required any more.

In fact, it was somewhat of a mistake to ever split them in the first place or at least the reasoning was wrong. The thinking then was that Space Colony has a 10 turn wait (30 turns on marathon) after launch, and there would be no way anyone would play BtS if they wanted to beat the old Space dates. IIRC, BtS also increased a lot of late game tech costs and the hammers for space parts, added Math as a prereq for CS, etc. Little did we know that corporations would more than make up for the extra time and effort BtS added. Space Colony dates have no trouble beating Space Races.

In the end, I think it was good to split them because, no matter which one is faster than the other, they're just not comparable. Like Culture vs Espionage. Having more virtual victory conditions is more fun. More places to compete for #1's.

So, back on topic, I say screw those guys that lose a few points on EQM.
I think the best argument is that Space Race requires Vanilla. Players who only own BtS should be able to complete EQM.

Or maybe the perfect solution is to allow a player to skip space race if they want to, and then that VC is excluded from his score calculation. Let all other score calculations remain they way they are.

If it was removed as an requirement for EQM, quite a few people would see their Machiavelli completed (though no new EQMs as far as I can see)
Forgot about QM when I wrote this. If Space Race was removed as requirement, bcool would have completed the QM challenge and enter the leader board in the top 10.

I think the best argument is that Space Race requires Vanilla. Players who only own BtS should be able to complete EQM.

Just have to point out that that is not relevant or possible

maybe technicially, but I know I install Civ vanilla only to install BtS. I don't install HoF mod, etc. for vanilla. It's just not 'ready to play'
Right, it might be more of challenge installing patches, mods and stuff than it is to actually play those two spacegames.

Is it possible to not be able to own Vanilla? I thought that Vanilla must be installed to play either Warlords or BtS, while BtS does not require Warlords, and Vanilla (obviously) does not require any of Warlords or BtS.

Right, it might be more of challenge installing patches, mods and stuff than it is to actually play those two spacegames.
As far as I understand how the game works, Vanilla gets automatically patched when you install either Warlords or BtS, so Vanilla should not need to be patched separately. Installing 1 Mod for Vanilla is no different than installing 1 Mod for BtS.

It is just 1 download and installation.

If we want to come up with an additional supporting reason, how about BtS removing the need for CD disc DRM, which adds a needed technical inconvenience for Windows 10 users who have the Vanilla and Warlords CD versions?

Personally, I have yet to see sufficient reasoning to drop Space Race, since the procedures for playing Vanilla/Warlords are all documented on these forums, while all of the reasons seem to boil down to a matter of inconvenience (including the inconvenience of learning how to excel in a different expansion version of the same game).

Meanwhile, I believe that Vanilla/Warlords games do offer enough differentiation to make Space Races sufficiently different from Space Colonies, so as to offer a fun and challenging variant that can be as much similar in approach but as different in nuance as are UN Diplo vs Religious Leader games, such that if you do want to earn a Master designation, you should be willing and required to demonstrate a true mastery of the game's variants.

Had Espionage Victories been known about much sooner, my opinion would have been to require them, too, but we made an exception as a way of grandfathering existing completed BtS Master designations since the Victory Condition was added so historically late.

There are no Gauntlets or Challenges requiring this victory condition
Consider the alternate approach of hosting such a Gauntlet, with a doubled submission time in order to counter the inconveniences.

adding the requirement of playing another game that you don't know and mostly have no interest in playing.
Since these statements seem to be opinion-based and may be different for other individual people, I could make the same argument for any given Victory Condition that I dislike, such as UN Diplo. So, should I get my choice of which Victory Condition to ignore?

Now, to take the discussion down a slightly different path, maybe we could run with the idea of 1 Victory Condition being ignorable while adding in Espionage, so that existing submissions would stay in the top table (0 or 1 Victory Conditions missing) and with those who lack 2 Victory Conditions just being "1 game away"), while giving newcomers a choice of 1 out of any of the BtS Master Victory Conditions to ignore (with no option to ignore 1 Victory Condition for Vanilla/Warlords Master designations, since we haven't seen changes to the available Victory Conditions there). If you want to skip the traditional Space Race, you may, but you must instead demonstrate a mastery of the contemporary Espionage Victory.

Those who have already committed, even recently, to Space Race would not need to feel regret.

Scoring could be done on an individual's best 9 (out of 10 possible) scores for the Machiavelli category, which would also minorly reward and thus encourage those who want to submit games for all 10 types, since your 10th type submitted is not likely to be your lowest-scoring submission. It would be similar to how a teacher, just taking the best 2 grades from 3 midterm exams for one school course can encourage, but not require, participation in all events.

Further, Espionage games could then become more of a relevant factor than they are now, rewarding those who wish to participate in contemporary challenges, while us meeting the other goal of not punishing those who succeeded in the past but can no longer participate.

Last edited:
Lots of interesting thoughts which I'll let others respond to first but just wanted to point out that Steam treats them as different games, don't know about purchasing BTS only but when you install BTS it doesn't install Vanilla or Warlords.

Consider the alternate approach of hosting such a Gauntlet, with a doubled submission time in order to counter the inconveniences.
That was going to be my next suggestion, if the consensus was that Space Race should be included in EQM.
Since these statements seem to be opinion-based and may be different for other individual people
It is opinion based, but the general opinion of the large player base is easily checked by looking at frequency of submissions.

To me Civ 4 is synonymous to BtS. That's the game I've played the last 10 years, and I'm not really interested in studying an older outdated and not so polished version of the game. Vanilla and Warlords play differently, but this applies to ALL victory conditions. Compared to the other victory conditions, the only additional difference in Space Race is that it does not contain the extra 10 turn wait at the end (normal speed). Why is this lack of 10 turn wait so special, to make a Vanilla/Warlords Space Race game essential to displaying complete mastery, while a Vanilla/Warlords Domination or Time game wouldn't be required?

Is it possible to not be able to own Vanilla? I thought that Vanilla must be installed to play either Warlords or BtS, while BtS does not require Warlords, and Vanilla (obviously) does not require any of Warlords or BtS.

As far as I understand how the game works, Vanilla gets automatically patched when you install either Warlords or BtS, so Vanilla should not need to be patched separately. Installing 1 Mod for Vanilla is no different than installing 1 Mod for BtS.

If we want to come up with an additional supporting reason, how about BtS removing the need for CD disc DRM, which adds a needed technical inconvenience for Windows 10 users who have the Vanilla and Warlords CD versions?

Personally, I have yet to see sufficient reasoning to drop Space Race, since the procedures for playing Vanilla/Warlords are all documented on these forums, while all of the reasons seem to boil down to a matter of inconvenience (including the inconvenience of learning how to excel in a different expansion version of the same game).

Meanwhile, I believe that Vanilla/Warlords games do offer enough differentiation to make Space Races sufficiently different from Space Colonies, so as to offer a fun and challenging variant that can be as much similar in approach but as different in nuance as are UN Diplo vs Religious Leader games, such that if you do want to earn a Master designation, you should be willing and required to demonstrate a true mastery of the game's variants.

Had Espionage Victories been known about much sooner, my opinion would have been to require them, too, but we made an exception as a way of grandfathering existing completed BtS Master designations since the Victory Condition was added so historically late.

Since these statements seem to be opinion-based and may be different for other individual people, I could make the same argument for any given Victory Condition that I dislike, such as UN Diplo. So, should I get my choice of which Victory Condition to ignore?

Now, to take the discussion down a slightly different path, maybe we could run with the idea of 1 Victory Condition being ignorable while adding in Espionage, so that existing submissions would stay in the top table (0 or 1 Victory Conditions missing) and with those who lack 2 Victory Conditions just being "1 game away"), while giving newcomers a choice of 1 out of any of the BtS Master Victory Conditions to ignore (with no option to ignore 1 Victory Condition for Vanilla/Warlords Master designations, since we haven't seen changes to the available Victory Conditions there). If you want to skip the traditional Space Race, you may, but you must instead demonstrate a mastery of the contemporary Espionage Victory.

Those who have already committed, even recently, to Space Race would not need to feel regret.

Scoring could be done on an individual's best 9 (out of 10 possible) scores for the Machiavelli category, which would also minorly reward and thus encourage those who want to submit games for all 10 types, since your 10th type submitted is not likely to be your lowest-scoring submission. It would be similar to how a teacher, just taking the best 2 grades from 3 midterm exams for one school course can encourage, but not require, participation in all events.

Further, Espionage games could then become more of a relevant factor than they are now, rewarding those who wish to participate in contemporary challenges, while us meeting the other goal of not punishing those who succeeded in the past but can no longer participate.

So it is in Vanilla, not Warlords this VC is? If so, it is even more of a different game. Not very appealing spending valueable time to start reading guides and articles for a rather archaic gamevariant.

As for the technical, downloading and installing, I have bad experiences for getting things to work. There are customassets and other overriding things. Hell, for some reason I cant run a S&T forum game from another user. I have asked why, to no avail. It is easy for you to say that installing instructions are properly documented, but in real life for a causual player there are obstacles. First of all you need to read and understand english fluent. This excludes a large part of world population, especially Asia). Then if program not work at first try (due to OS, disappeared discstations or whatever), many will just walk away from it and probably try some other of zillions of games. (Not to mention something shiny that ends with V or VI.)

If state of the art CIV 4 and HoF shall survive, make it maximum accessible for the common user all over the world.

Last edited:
"It would impact the score" is so vague, that I think it would be best to consider what this impact would really be. At the very worse, there are a couple of players with Machiavelli completed and Space Race score is about 100 points higher than average Machiavelli score. For these players, Machiavelli score would drop about 12 points and overall EQM score would drop 2 points. And these are really the worst possible cases. If Space Race score is 50 points higher than Machiavelli average, the drop is just over 6 points in Machiavelli and about 1 for overall EQM rating. Maybe there would be a couple of players that drop one slot in the rankings, but I doubt even that would happen for emperor and higher, since the score differences are in general so large.

Some people could potentially have their EQM level raised to a higher difficulty. These would be the main cause to changes in the tables.

If those two winning conditions are merged (lose on the 10 turns and techpath but gain on corps), then the differences in ranking would perhaps be even less.

Having more virtual victory conditions is more fun. More places to compete for #1's.

How about a new additional kind of gauntlet class that may include ordinary BotM or a monthly random map generated by staff, with no cooked start and AIs or something else.

Steam treats them as different games, don't know about purchasing BTS only but when you install BTS it doesn't install Vanilla or Warlords.
That info is helpful to know and it contributes to the discussion. If Vanilla still must always be installable by anyone who buys BtS on Steam, but just needs some extra work to set up, I'd say that we're still talking about the inconvenience argument, but it does add another pain point to said inconvenience.

To me Civ 4 is synonymous to BtS. That's the game I've played the last 10 years
My experience is different, but that's likely because I've played more Game of the Month games than I have made HOF submissions. In the GOTM competition, participation in Vanilla and Warlords games has happened during all of that time, except perhaps for the last year, where participation rates overall in XOTM* games have dwindled, to a point that it became hard to get enough participants to justify regularly running Vanilla and Warlords games.

* X meaning any of G for Game aka Vanilla, W for Warlords, or B for BtS

So, there are many players who have been playing all 3 expansion variants for quite some time, and some of those people have made submissions in the HOF.

I'm not going to claim that these people make up even a significant portion of the HOF submissions, but I will say that there are other perspectives beyond BtS being the only expansion version having been played over the last 10 years on these forums.

For those who are interested, a pretty good list of differences between the expansion versions has been compiled and stickied on the main GOTM forum:
Game Play Differences Between Expansion Packs

That was going to be my next suggestion, if the consensus was that Space Race should be included in EQM.
Maybe that's a good spot to start, then. Make it 3 months long and let's see if we can generate some good discussions on the subject.

We can also try to help people through any technical challenges that they have encountered in getting Vanilla and/or Warlords set up to play HOF games on their computers.

Maybe people who give it a shot will find that they detest it, or maybe they'll enjoy the variance offered by somewhat different gameplay. Or, maybe no one will participate, as Gauntlets are seeing not too many people playing them these days.

But, make it attractive enough (say, Monarch Difficulty Level) for people to get a reasonably-high Difficulty Level for their Machiavelli Master category and perhaps we'll see people submitting a game or two just because doing so helps them to complete a category, just the same as would a Gauntlet which helps to fill out a Map Quest Master category. Or, drop the Difficulty Level a bit for the first one and host a higher-difficulty-level one afterward, as many people will need to get into those expansions for the first time or will at least have to dust off their past experiences and remember how they used to play.

Vanilla and Warlords play differently, but this applies to ALL victory conditions.
Unless I am mistaken, I believe that people who have submitted Vanilla or Warlords games can have every one** of their games contribute to a BtS Machiavelli Master category.

** Any submission that is already ignored for the Machiavelli Master designation would continue to be ignored; I'm not sure what those are, but they might ignore Non-Ancient-Era starts, for example.

One of the options being discussed, that of removing the requirement of Space Race games, when looked at from another perspective, reduces the value of submitting Space Victories for Vanilla or Warlords games, either now or for past submissions.

From the perspective of maximizing a contribution toward Master designations, people who have submitted Vanilla or Warlords games, whether in the distant past or since then, have been able to have those contributions count toward both of their Vanilla + Warlords Master designations and their BtS Master designations. We'd essentially be devaluing submissions from one of those categories.

So, the point is that there is an impact to other players, some of whom may not currently have an active voice, but do like coming back to the forums and reviewing their historical achievements, and who then may sometimes decide to make other contributions to the forums while they are there. We're essentially talking about removing a value for some of the past submissions of existing HOF players. If that decision is the one that gets made, so be it, but at least take the time to consider things from the perspective of past players coming back to the site, only to find that the rules have changed out from under them in a way that does devalue some of their contributions.

Thus, I suggested a possible alternative approach that focuses on adding value, by exempting any one category while at the same time adding a new category (Espionage), so that we aren't taking anything away from anyone, and to also preserve the current approach of the HOF where any** Vanilla or Warlords submission can contribute toward a BtS Machiavelli Master category.

I'm not even sure what would happen to a historical HOF view (since you can view by date using a drop-down list) if we removed a category--would looking at previous dates show that category or not? But, at least by adding a category and exempting players from needing to complete 1 of those categories (assuming that doing so is technically possible), people's historical scoring would remain unchanged or possibly would go up if they had submitted Espionage games, but scores wouldn't go down. Relative rankings would change a bit, but no one would feel that things are being taken away from them.

Compared to the other victory conditions, the only additional difference in Space Race is that it does not contain the extra 10 turn wait at the end (normal speed). Why is this lack of 10 turn wait so special, to make a Vanilla/Warlords Space Race game essential to displaying complete mastery
Oh, but it's so much more than that. Let's go through some highlights from the Game Play Differences Between Expansion Packs list as a good place to start. Now, granted, a some of these points apply to any Vanilla or Warlords game, but some are unique to Space Race games.

- In Vanilla, capturing an AI's capital (or an AI capturing your capital) can destroy Space Ship progress, if I understand the list correctly
- In Vanilla, the Space Elevator is often worth building due to differences in the end-game tech tree, such as Robotics being needed for a Space Ship Part and the Space Elevator only needing Robotics to start building it
- In Vanilla, Research and Wealth build items start off at 50% Hammers and are not augmented by Hammer-multiplying Buildings such as Forges, but are augmented by Libraries, Universities, Observatories, Research Labs, Academies, Oxford University, Markets, Grocers, Banks, and Wallstreet. Since Space games often last long enough to build a lot of Research and Wealth, the tech path and build items chosen can be quite significantly different
- In Vanilla, Calendar obsoletes Monuments and there is no Mausoleum of Maussollos Wonder, so it is a tech that often comes with a bit of pain to research, making it less of a no-brainer to take the tech in trade for access to extra Happiness Resources
- In Vanilla and Warlords, Factories have no Health penalties from Resources such as Coal and Oil
- In Vanilla and Warlords, there are less techs, so there are subtle differences. As one example, without the existence of the Aesthetics tech, you must compete harder with the AIs to build The Parthenon, as that Wonder gets unlocked really early on at Polytheism. Also, since Alphabet leads directly to Literature or Drama, you can either beeline The Great Library or beeline an unlocked Happiness Slider while still being able to trade techs with AIs who haven't teched Alphabet themselves. Meanwhile, Alphabet does not lead to Currency, so you have a different set of choices when evaluating whether to go for Mathematics (which unlocks Currency) or Alphabet after Writing
- In Vanilla and Warlords, Spies work significantly differently, such as requiring Gold, not Espionage Points, for Missions, and only being buildable out of a City with the Scotland Yard National Wonder, which is built like any other National Wonder (in only one City) instead of being a specially-constructed Building made from a Great Spy (Great Spies also don't exist) and instead of Spies being buildable as a Unit out of any City
- In Vanilla and Warlords, Religions, not Espionage, can control visibility of AI Cities, which can encourage you to more actively spread a Religion to AI Cities
- Some Leaders have different Traits, such as Saladin not having the sucky Protective Trait in Vanilla and instead having Gandhi's BtS Traits but with a decent Unique Unit that can engage in combat

There are many other differences, but those are some of the ones that can change your strategy or tech path for a Space Victory game. Anyway, hopefully this list can give some people a bit of encouragement to try it out. Sure, the older HOF Mods lack the Pre-Chop Forest option, which is a minor inconvenience, but many people on the forums have been playing these previous expansion versions and some of these people have been able to get along by quite fine with submitting completed GOTM submissions, which, like HOF submissions, are generally games that are played until a Victory Condition is achieved and which must use a HOF/BUFFY Mod.

while a Vanilla/Warlords Domination or Time game wouldn't be required?
From my understanding, players currently have the option to have their Vanilla or Warlords Domination and Time submissions count toward a BtS Machiavelli Master designation, as well as toward a Vanilla/Warlords Machiavelli Master designation.

So, it is not a hard requirement, but the option exists to play and submit such games, while the option also allows your submissions to count against a Vanilla/Warlords Master designation.

As for the technical, downloading and installing, I have bad experiences for getting things to work. There are customassets and other overriding things. Hell, for some reason I cant run a S&T forum game from another user. I have asked why, to no avail. It is easy for you to say that installing instructions are properly documented, but in real life for a causual player there are obstacles. First of all you need to read and understand english fluent. This excludes a large part of world population, especially Asia). Then if program not work at first try (due to OS, disappeared discstations or whatever), many will just walk away from it and probably try some other of zillions of games. (Not to mention something shiny that ends with V or VI.)
Thank you for sharing your experiences. I'm sorry to hear about the troubles that you have had to suffer through.

As for custom assets, have you had a chance to try out using the Assets Checker tool?

It's possible that the other user decided to install BUG as a Mod instead of in Custom Assets, and you did the opposite, or vice versa.

It might help for you to generate a game and ask a third player to try loading both your game and that other player's game, to see if the problem can be better narrowed-down.

Last edited:
Oh, but it's so much more than that. Let's go through some highlights from the Game Play Differences Between Expansion Packs list as a good place to start.
Sorry, but you missed my point. We are all aware that there are a lot of differences between vanilla/Warlord and BtS. Most of these differences apply regardless of what victory condition you are playing for. Why should space victories be singled out as the one type of game that is required to play in an older vesion for EQM? Since all other victory conditions are treated equally in the eyes of EQM, regardless of version used to play the game, the best would probably be to apply the same to Space games. Let them all count towards one single Space category in Machiavelli.

As for the technical, downloading and installing, I have bad experiences for getting things to work. There are customassets and other overriding things. Hell, for some reason I cant run a S&T forum game from another user.

MT, this is usually an indicator of a mod conflict. Most folks playing those S&T forum games (if WB save not provided like NC games), are using the BUG/BULL install in Custom Assets. So your issue is either you are using the standalone version of BUG (or something else), or trying to load a game where someone else is using a stand-alone mod like BUG or BAT...and you don't have them installed. My suggestion is to install BUG/BULL in custom assets. You can also have BUG/BULL installed as standalone as well, and the BAT mod. There is not conflict having all of them installed...even the BULL DLL.

It's possible that the issue may be related to other mods you've had installed in the past. Most are standalone and would not, therefore, create a conflict with forum games. However, some might have corrupted other assets over time. Note that you can delete the Custom Assets folder with no problem. A new fresh one will be generated. If the conflicts are deeper, a fresh install of the game would be recommended.

(Space Race is Vanilla and Warlords. Space Colony is BTS only)

@Dhoom - I am very much aligned with your way of thinking here, i.e., maintaining the existing integrity of the tables. Even a small impact to the results and contributions of folks made over the last twelve years is a no-go for me. We are discussing other options as a team.

While I don't agree with all the arguments presented here, I think elite's topic at least serves as inspiration for trying something new within the HOF. The Team is always open to that, and we already have some things in the works in that regard.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom