Is there a glitch in levying CS units?

LoneDragon

Warlord
I had 6 of Yerevan's Swordsmen surrounding an Indonesian city. Indonesia took suzerain status for a single turn and the Swordsmen vanished! They didn't revert to Yerevan's control. They didn't teleport back to Yerevan. They disappeared from the game! That can't be the way that's intended to work.

I had 6 of Yerevan's Swordsmen surrounding an Indonesian city. Indonesia took suzerain status for a single turn and the Swordsmen vanished! They didn't revert to Yerevan's control. They didn't teleport back to Yerevan. They disappeared from the game! That can't be the way that's intended to work.

That doesn't sound right, no. I could see the units being kicked out of Indonesia's territory, though, as soon as you were no longer their suzerain. That likely happens automatically, rather than checking first to see if they could stay in that territory because now Indonesia is their suzerain. Possibly there was no place for them to be placed and they were destroyed for that reason, or maybe they were displaced so far away you lost sight of them?

I haven't been able to figure out exactly how a tile gets picked to displace units to when they get booted on city's changing control. It's not as simple as "nearest unoccupied tile", but I don't know what it is.

Last edited:
There were no other units of any faction in the area when it happened. My army arrived 5 or 6 turns later. I regained suzerain the very next turn which would have revealed any units owned by the CS.

That's a new one on me. The only issue with levying units that I was aware of is if a unit is in the city center at the time, it will be destroyed rather than given to you.

That's a new one on me. The only issue with levying units that I was aware of is if a unit is in the city center at the time, it will be destroyed rather than given to you.

Presumably that's a side effect of you not being able to garrison the levied City State units in their own city. They're now "yours" not "theirs" and restricted to locations you can occupy.

Very annoying if the City State gets attacked while you have their troops levied. Now they have nothing to defend themselves with, and can't even attack their attacker unless you declare war on the attacker yourself. Instead, though, you can form a human shield of the City State's own troops, and even though the attacker is at war with that City State, it can't attack them either.

Not a particularly well thought through mechanism, frankly. The concept was interesting, but the execution creates a lot of "huh?" moments.

Top Bottom