Is there a mod to change game rules/options?

curtastic

Chieftain
Hi I love Civ 3 but there's a few changes I want to make and I don't know if there's some download that can hack it or something. The version I have is Civ 3 Complete from Steam if that matters.

1. Change Monarchy to only 1 Military police. Monarchy is way too good and you should always use it regardless of your goal because of 3 happy citizens in each city from regular warriors.

2. Remove the production/food cutoff from Despotism. This is just really odd and annoying and arbitrary and I hate it and it confuses new people that irrigating grassland does nothing.

3. Make excess production and food carry over when one thing is completed. Right now I always have to micromanage production and food when I notice a city is going to grow in one turn anyways I switch citizens to work on hills instead of grassland then next turn have to remember to switch them back.

4. Make switching production lose half or all the shields. Right now building wonders is all about prebuilding them with the palace then switching, and it's really odd and not how the game was designed to be played and AI's don't know about that exploit.

5. Make citizens automatically become entertainers right before a would-be civil disorder. Right now you can always prevent disorders by checking every city at the end of every turn. Maybe a city grew or you took military police out and didn't notice. So civil disorders should never happen, because you can always micromanage to make them never happen. It should tell you that it pulled off citizens to become entertainers. You can set governors now but then you can't set which tile citizens work on.

6. Change expansionist to make settlers slightly cheaper. Right now expansionist basically does nothing the rest of the game after you explore a little quicker at the beginning.

7. Add an option to still animate battles but twice as fast, and maybe to not animate bombards. Bombards take forever and if you change it to not animate battles you can't even tell who won when there's a stack, or sometimes that a battle even happened.

8. When it first generates the map, make luxuries sometimes generate on islands that nobody is on. Right now there's not much point in colonizing a new island unless it's really close to your capital or it has the resource you're missing.

9. Make corruption not affect gold. Right now there's no point in building far from your capital. Would be cool to at least bring home money.

10. Change map generation to have a 90% water option. I like to play pangea but there's still too much land on the smallest land option. I want all the land to be connected but very thin.

11. Change ancient cavalry to be weaker. Right now you usually just win if you build that wonder.

12. Change chasqui scout to cost 15. It's bad. It shouldn't cost twice as much as jaguar warrior.

13. Change coastal fortress to bombard back when bombarded. Right now it just dies to the first bombard and does nothing. Ships don't pass by your city at that stage they just sail straight to it them bombard. Or make it allow you to bombard from your city like an artillery that you can't move and doesn't cost maintenance.

14. When you try to move a catapult into an enemy it should bombard instead of saying non combat units cannot attack. Just easier.

15. You should be able to unload units from a ship into a non-combat enemy. Right now if you're on your own island you can just wall your island borders with workers and nobody can ever invade even though you have no military. You should actually be able to unload units from a ship into any enemy but there should be a severe combat penalty, like 80%. Right now you can have a city on a 1 tile island and nobody can ever capture it until marines.

16. When you capture a worker you should still be able to attack that turn if your unit still has moves left. I noticed AI players are allowed to do this but you aren't. It says you can only attack once.

17. When you hold down a worker action button it should make all the workers on the tile do that action. It's annoying to have to press clear jungle 24 times with a stack of workers to clear 1 tile. If I hold it down now it can switch to other workers on other tiles and start making them do that too.

Hi I love Civ 3 but there's a few changes I want to make and I don't know if there's some download that can hack it or something. The version I have is Civ 3 Complete from Steam if that matters.

1. Change Monarchy to only 1 Military police. Monarchy is way too good and you should always use it regardless of your goal because of 3 happy citizens in each city from regular warriors.

2. Remove the production/food cutoff from Despotism. This is just really odd and annoying and arbitrary and I hate it and it confuses new people that irrigating grassland does nothing.

3. Make excess production and food carry over when one thing is completed. Right now I always have to micromanage production and food when I notice a city is going to grow in one turn anyways I switch citizens to work on hills instead of grassland then next turn have to remember to switch them back.

4. Make switching production lose half or all the shields. Right now building wonders is all about prebuilding them with the palace then switching, and it's really odd and not how the game was designed to be played and AI's don't know about that exploit.

5. Make citizens automatically become entertainers right before a would-be civil disorder. Right now you can always prevent disorders by checking every city at the end of every turn. Maybe a city grew or you took military police out and didn't notice. So civil disorders should never happen, because you can always micromanage to make them never happen. It should tell you that it pulled off citizens to become entertainers. You can set governors now but then you can't set which tile citizens work on.

6. Change expansionist to make settlers slightly cheaper. Right now expansionist basically does nothing the rest of the game after you explore a little quicker at the beginning.

7. Add an option to still animate battles but twice as fast, and maybe to not animate bombards. Bombards take forever and if you change it to not animate battles you can't even tell who won when there's a stack, or sometimes that a battle even happened.

8. When it first generates the map, make luxuries sometimes generate on islands that nobody is on. Right now there's not much point in colonizing a new island unless it's really close to your capital or it has the resource you're missing.

9. Make corruption not affect gold. Right now there's no point in building far from your capital. Would be cool to at least bring home money.

10. Change map generation to have a 90% water option. I like to play pangea but there's still too much land on the smallest land option. I want all the land to be connected but very thin.

11. Change ancient cavalry to be weaker. Right now you usually just win if you build that wonder.

12. Change chasqui scout to cost 15. It's bad. It shouldn't cost twice as much as jaguar warrior.
13. Change coastal fortress to bombard back when bombarded. Right now it just dies to the first bombard and does nothing. Ships don't pass by your city at that stage they just sail straight to it them bombard. Or make it allow you to bombard from your city like an artillery that you can't move and doesn't cost maintenance.

14. When you try to move a catapult into an enemy it should bombard instead of saying non combat units cannot attack. Just easier.

15. You should be able to unload units from a ship into a non-combat enemy. Right now if you're on your own island you can just wall your island borders with workers and nobody can ever invade even though you have no military. You should actually be able to unload units from a ship into any enemy but there should be a severe combat penalty, like 80%. Right now you can have a city on a 1 tile island and nobody can ever capture it until marines.

16. When you capture a worker you should still be able to attack that turn if your unit still has moves left. I noticed AI players are allowed to do this but you aren't. It says you can only attack once.

17. When you hold down a worker action button it should make all the workers on the tile do that action. It's annoying to have to press clear jungle 24 times with a stack of workers to clear 1 tile. If I hold it down now it can switch to other workers on other tiles and start making them do that too.

Wrong section.

There is something called a scenario editor where you can make your own scenario. Many of your suggestions can be done, but some cannot. Number 3, 4, 5 (except by governor), 7, 8, 10, 17 cannot be done. 16 can be done, but you would be giving an ability that you may not want to, which is blitz (what tanks have). On 15, workers can be captured by the AI if you wall it off with just workers. You need to make Outposts or some terrain improvement to not have that. Giving the Amphibious ability that Marines have would stop this yes.

What difficulty do you play at?

Last edited:
Top Bottom