Is there a way to balance the continent map? Continent dont spread out evenly city states and civs

Furoncrypto

Chieftain
So I've noticed the continent map is perfect except for one glaring game altering pattern.

One big continent will have 3ish civs and A LOT of city states and the other continent(s) will have mostly civs and a handful of city states (which usually get taken over).

This makes the strategy being on the city state heavy obvious by simply going papal states belief and go for suzerain which is easy with limited competition and early enemy rush leaving 2 civs. Meanwhile other continent is simply not interesting without many city states.

Is there a way to change this to have an even spread? I normally play on standard size but I've been trying huge maps to see if it affects this.

The change to this would probably happen in AssignStartingPlots.lua (<Civ VI install dir>\Base\Assets\Maps\Utility). You could try re-balancing the major-civ and CS start locations, but you might find that spots considered "good enough" for a CS might not be as competitive as the major-civ starts.

Unfortunately, the "StartPositioner" that divides the world into Civ / CS "zones" for choosing start locations is a black box (probably somewhere in the DLL); if you really don't like those starting spots then you'll probably have to write your own Start Positioner or wait until DLL modding is a thing.

I'm not saying that this is impossible, however. The Civ V Start Positioner was not a black box, so a modder who has access to Civ V lua scripts could port the Civ V Start Positioner part of ASP to Civ 6 for more control over major civ starts. The relevant methods in the Civ V ASP are GenerateRegions, ChooseLocations, and all of their helper functions--Civ V IMO had a much more flexible starting plot system than Civ VI. Good luck :)

I once played as Germany on a continents map. I spawned closed to Arabia and took them out early in the game, the rest of the continent was filled with CS and I conquered them all...

Then I met America, Greece, and 2 more civs I don't remember on the second continent, barren of any city states. Felt quite ridiculous TBH

Top Bottom