Is there any point in building wonders?

I think wonders should do something for affinities. Maybe +1 point in an affinity for a certain number of turns. This would make choosing which ones to go for align with which affinity you're going for. Some would have Purity +1, some would have Harmony +1, and some would have Supremacy +1. Maybe for 10 turns, maybe more. We lost the GP + 1 on wonders, let's replace it with something.

I'm actually glad to see them toned down a bit from Civ V. Some of the wonders in that game (Petra, The Great Library, The Hanging Gardens, to name a few) were so powerful getting them could make or break a game, and you could have entire strategies revolve around them. I think that was too much. That said, it does seem like they've overshot the "tone them down a bit" goal. Some of them look like things I probably wouldn't build even if they were national wonders. But I'm waiting for the Mac version of BE to come out, so I haven't actually played with them yet.

There's a point in a Gemini game after building essential buildings after the first tech ring is finished where health allows you to either expand by conquest, or normal expansion, or build wonders, and some may choose wonders.

Knowledge allows even the crappy ones to shine. +7 culture before modifiers is nothing to sneeze at. :)

Apart from that there are a few really strong ones: Ectogenesis Pod, Promethian and Deep Memory are always worth building.

xeno sanctuary for 550 :c5production: itself giving +4 :c5culture:. I mean just look at the numbers if I made two xeno sanctuaries in two separate cities that would cost 1100 :c5production: and give me +8 :c5culture: If I made the xenodrome it would cost 750 :c5production: and also give me +8 :c5culture: (including the free xeno santuary). It is a 30% reduction in production cost, but that doesn't help you in the long run. And when compared any of these, trade routes totally eclipse any of the above.

Now to be fair in my first "walkthrough" game, I built the xenodrome without the prerequisite harmony to build the sanctuary. Not that that makes the wonder awesome, but it's something.

Now to be fair in my first "walkthrough" game, I built the xenodrome without the prerequisite harmony to build the sanctuary. Not that that makes the wonder awesome, but it's something.

Actually if you can build it without the harmony level 5 that does help the status of the wonder a bit, cause +8 culture early on is worth a lot more compared the mid/mid-late game when one can pump out terrascapes and other buildings. Perhaps I shall reevaluate my thoughts on Xenodrome.

However, the similar Purity wonder "New Terran Myth" is certainly staying in the horrible category. Only +4 culture with no other bonuses. It costs more than a xeno sanctuary by 250 :c5production:. Additionally it requires not only Social Dynamics in Ring 3 but also a leaf tech (human Idealism) whose sole purpose is to build this wonder. Compared to Alien Ethics in Ring 3 that gives: Xeno Sanctruary, Mind Stem, and Xenodrome, I wonder why anyone would attain "New Terran Myth" This wonder needs to be heavily buffed or given an "ability" of some kind.

I built them all recently in a game, and I ended up getting new virtues every 5 turns with the +7 culture thing.

That virtue makes any wonder great.

I would say that very few are great, many are decent, and some are completely useless.
Master Control for example doesn't look that impressive, but it costs barely more than a Network and gives one for free. And the worker movement really shines when you're building in forests or on hills. Armasail, Nanothermite and the Archimedes Lever are very situational, but if you have a far away colony it will be much less vulnerable (but I think that having three wonders like this is bad design)
Stellar Codex gives three science which is a decent bonus this that early in the game and you can create a specialized satellite production city at your border which wil later allow you to place Tacnet Hubs and Orbital Lasers over enemy territory.

if there was a wonder that costs 1000 hammer and does absolutely nothing, people would still say it's great because "it was meant to get the +7 culture virtue thingy"

smh

Would be nice if more of the wonders provided global, or regional, boosts. Many of them are just super buildings that provide a yield, and can only be built once. Civ5's religion allowed them to do more 'regional' type effects (not necessarily regional, but within the reach of the certain religion). There is nothing with that level of impact in BE - yet.

Is there any point in building a wonder?

+4 science

or +5 culture.

One even gave me something like +3 of what ever. I was shocked that I waited 50 turns on a marathon game to build that!

I've never built one. Their effects seems so minor that I can't justify putting the production toward them. They definitely need to be buffed.

if there was a wonder that costs 1000 hammer and does absolutely nothing, people would still say it's great because "it was meant to get the +7 culture virtue thingy"

smh

That's actually a large balance issue. If they're keeping that virtue in mind, that might be why some of these are so pathetic...which makes some sense.

That said though, it's not interesting at all. The only people who will even attempt to build/contest these wonders then are the people who go that route, and that's very very binary and boring(did you go that virtue, build wonders. Did you skip it? don't.)

Any building with a +7 to culture would be worth it at any production(ESPECIALLY the very cheap inner ring wonders), so I don't see how they can start making the crappy ones better unless they rework that skill.

Huff. It was quite some work, but I have finished my wonder overhaul mod.
Overall wonders should now provide a lot more interesting benefits and actually make the detour towards their tech meaningful.

DOWNLOAD: steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=333340837

Huff. It was quite some work, but I have finished my wonder overhaul mod.
Overall wonders should now provide a lot more interesting benefits and actually make the detour towards their tech meaningful.

DOWNLOAD: steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=333340837

Nice I like the buff's of the wonders. Though I do ask why do you require geothermal on so many of them?? Why not xenomass for xenonova/xenomalleum or titanium/something_else for terran myth?

Doesn't anybody realise that much more hammers are available in this game than a player would need? Unless you are fighting a war of expansion and need lots of troops, you will have tons of hammers left even after you've built all the buildings you can and all the trade units you need. If you are low on health at this point, you won't need more settlers, and wonders become quite viable.

I believe building wonders contributes to your game score as well. I'm always looking to out-score my earlier wins when I play.

Of course, I outsource wonder construction from time to time too.

Honestly, if your not building wonders what else is your capital doing? All your other cities can easily become productive enough with trade routes to make everything and anything else, other than my initial colonists, all I need to build in my cap are all the buildings and wonders, and with a load of manufactories it does that easily.

Top Bottom