Is there any way to get around the popups?

thadiusdean

Chieftain
I love this game but something that just kills me is the inability to do anything when a build queue or technology pop up comes up. I know I can look at the tech tree and check out my city, but I would love to be able to move around and look at the map in order to help make my decision. Is there no way to do this?

There's an option called minimize pop-ups. It makes all of the pop-ups apear after you move your units. I'm not sure that's exactly what you're looking for but that is the closest I can think of.

thadiusdean,

I play with the "minimize pop-ups" that CCRunner7 mentioned, and it does a lot of what I want it to do. However when there is that once-in-a-while turn that I have no units to move, all of the pop-ups will still happen right away. If I want to do other things, or simply "look around" as you stated, I will choose any non-worker, non-settler, non-granary, non-limited supply building/project, non-curency/culture/research to build, and do what I need before changing back the city. If you do this, don't forget to choose the proper item to build less you build something silly!

Also, note that there is a bug in this feature. The pop-ups happen on the "start" of the turn, and do not update accordingly. This means if you have 4 cities that are scheduled to pop-up at the end of your turn, when you reach the end of your turn, you can make all 4 of them build a Jewish Missionary...even though there is a limit of 3 on them. Also, another annoyance (could be considered a bug) is if you're in city 1's (of 4) pop-up screen, and select "examine city..." and [Escape] out of the city without selecting an item to build, you will switch to city 2's (of 4) pop-up screen. This will continue until you [Escape] or select build items for the rest of the cities. When you get back to city #1, it will no longer say "$CITY has just built, what would you like to work on next?" Instead it'll just say "What would you like to build in $CITY?"

I'll look into the minimize pop-ups option. Also, Kesshi, could I just select any unit/building/tech and then go into the city or tree and change it to what I want without losing any turns or resources?

Also, Kesshi, could I just select any unit/building/tech and then go into the city or tree and change it to what I want without losing any turns or resources?

thadiusdean,

Yes. There is no loss of turns hammers production, etc. unless you try to build 2 Statues of Liberties, 4 Jewish missionaries, or 2 Internets at once (Just a few examples.) THEN hit "end turn." If you accidentally choose to build 2 Internets, but cancel one before you end turn, nothing is lost.

Oh, yeah, one more thing. Choose all of your city productions BEFORE you save your game. I have come back to a few save games with a city or two building nothing. Very annoying.

I love this game but something that just kills me is the inability to do anything when a build queue or technology pop up comes up. I know I can look at the tech tree and check out my city, but I would love to be able to move around and look at the map in order to help make my decision. Is there no way to do this?

Select Wait at End of Turn in the options menu. Your game won't progress until you hit the Enter key, which will give you all the time you want to look around.

Top Bottom