[R&F] Is this an exploit? Purchasing Era Score with Amani

JKuan

Chieftain
My apologies if this has been answered elsewhere, but I didn't find it in a search engine. Era Score can be "purchased" with Amani by doing the following:

1) Levy the military of a city-state in which Amani is assigned, earning you one point of era score.
2) Assign Amani to another city, causing you to lose suzerainty.
3) Re-assign Amani to the original city-state, causing you to become Suzerain again.
4) Go back to 1.

I see that the Fandom page for Hungary lists a similar "strategy", so I guess this is well-known? The fact that it hasn't been patched out leads me to think that the game developers are aware of it but don't consider it to be an exploit. But probably it's banned in multi-player games?

I should also add that I have only R&F on the iOS, so I'm not familiar with what's allowed in GS and other platforms which have had more recent updates.

It is a viable strategy to get a huge army for relatively low effort and money with Hungary. Get Himiko from the Heroes mode and you will have an easy time steamrolling everyone.

There a few things to consider regarding the Era score bit (on Standard speed) :
- An era lasts between 40 and 60 turns;
- When you levy troops they stand for 30 turns. Even if they all die the button should remain grayed out and you will not be able to raise new troops till the timer runs out.
- Amani needs a total of 5+5 = 10 turns to return to the initial city state.

At best you can raise a specific City state troops' 2 times per era (2 era score). You can use Amani at max 12 times per era in such a manner (12*5=60). You can get 12 era score for a pretty involved tactic that does not work for everyone. I would not call it an exploit as it requires quite a few promotions and is time-intensive. You will also need the gold to do it as well, meaning that you will lag behind in other things. Also Eras usually do not last the full 60 turns, so you will on average get about 10 such uses from Amani per Era and you will need 10 different city states to do so.

It's been mentioned on the board before, but it was a while back.

It seems really gamey to do it, so I'd definitely classify it as an exploit. That the devs haven't fixed it, means very little. The roads have been glitched on the Switch to look like pixels for years - that a minor exploit like this that is easily avoided hasn't been patched out means little. I mean, if you, in single-player, want to use it, go ahead, but it is gaming the system.

Amani needs a total of 5+5 = 10 turns to return to the initial city state.

You can actually do this repeatedly in only one turn (start the video at 11:43)

It's been mentioned on the board before, but it was a while back.

It seems really gamey to do it, so I'd definitely classify it as an exploit. That the devs haven't fixed it, means very little. The roads have been glitched on the Switch to look like pixels for years - that a minor exploit like this that is easily avoided hasn't been patched out means little. I mean, if you, in single-player, want to use it, go ahead, but it is gaming the system.

I'm guessing the general consensus on the previous thread was that it was an exploit? The devs fixed the major exploits like infinite pantheons and infinite raiding with the Barbary Corsair; maybe they consider this a "minor" exploit like you described it.

I'm guessing the general consensus on the previous thread was that it was an exploit? The devs fixed the major exploits like infinite pantheons and infinite raiding with the Barbary Corsair; maybe they consider this a "minor" exploit like you described it.
To be honest, I don't remember, and it's possible that it wasn't about this exact phenomenon - I remember people talking about taking a governor out of a city and putting them straight back which gave an advantage. If it was not Amani to get Era Score, then it was something very similar. I can't remember their attitudes, but it does strike me as an exploit/bug, and wouldn't use it.

It may get fixed, but it's possible nobody has even bothered to report it and they don't even know about it. Or, because it's something you have to actively do, they consider it low priority. Who knows. I'm still hoping that they're working their way through and ironing out all of these creases.

At least you have to pay for this. So you can just do it a limited amount of times while you could just stack pantheons to infinity.

I remember people talking about taking a governor out of a city and putting them straight back which gave an advantage. If it was not Amani to get Era Score, then it was something very similar.

I think you can still do it to discover all the heroes in one turn.
And I think it was part of that Nalanda bug a while ago.

To be honest, I don't remember, and it's possible that it wasn't about this exact phenomenon - I remember people talking about taking a governor out of a city and putting them straight back which gave an advantage. If it was not Amani to get Era Score, then it was something very similar. I can't remember their attitudes, but it does strike me as an exploit/bug, and wouldn't use it.

It may get fixed, but it's possible nobody has even bothered to report it and they don't even know about it. Or, because it's something you have to actively do, they consider it low priority. Who knows. I'm still hoping that they're working their way through and ironing out all of these creases.

Maybe the exploit you're referring to is the one with the CS that gave a free tech when you first built their UI ( a science one). You could explore the tech tree by suzing, then building the UI then moving Amani in and out repeatably in the same turn. I never tried but it was something like that.

Anyway it seems that if you move a governor out of then back in to a city on the same turn you don't have to wait to establish to get the benefits back, sort of like you can correct bad moves before they're official.

If you want to abuse exploits like this, go for it. Doesn’t seem that fun to me but to each his own.

My apologies if this has been answered elsewhere, but I didn't find it in a search engine. Era Score can be "purchased" with Amani by doing the following:

1) Levy the military of a city-state in which Amani is assigned, earning you one point of era score.
2) Assign Amani to another city, causing you to lose suzerainty.
3) Re-assign Amani to the original city-state, causing you to become Suzerain again.
4) Go back to 1.

I see that the Fandom page for Hungary lists a similar "strategy", so I guess this is well-known? The fact that it hasn't been patched out leads me to think that the game developers are aware of it but don't consider it to be an exploit. But probably it's banned in multi-player games?

I should also add that I have only R&F on the iOS, so I'm not familiar with what's allowed in GS and other platforms which have had more recent updates.
Hello there, I am the admin on wiki that contributes mostly to Strategy like this, and this is my writing. On the wiki front page where I put a guideline on writing strategy, one of the points is "bugs and exploits are off limit and will be removed instantly if put in the Strategy section." The reason I keep this "feature"/"bug" included because I believe it belongs in a gray area for multiple reasons:
1. Different from the unlimited pantheon stacking bug, or the unlimited number of techs gained from Nalanda, or the unlimited raiding of barbary corsairs in the barbarian game mode, this thing actually has an upper limit. You still have to expend resources (gold) in exchange for envoys or era score, so there is an upper limit of how many times you can pull this off, and that upper limit does depend on your performance (how much gold you can accrue from the turns before), so I don't totally classify it as completely an exploit or a bug, like the examples I just listed.
2. The fact that Governors can be instantly established when you move them back to their original city in the same turn has existed since the release of R&F, I believe it is coded like that so players are not punished or have to reload a save file when they accidentally move a Governor. No one really paid attention to it until Hungary was released with GS, and now suddenly you had a leader that can spend Gold to purchase envoys, which drew people's attention. Personally, if the game has an ability that says "being able to spend Gold to purchase Envoys," I consider that to be feasible as an ability, even if in this case, it is unintentional. Comparing this to other bugs, there can never be an ability that reads "earning unlimited amount of Faith/Gold per turn," or "unlocking all techs in a turn," without completely breaking the game.
I did put a note in the article that says "this practice can be considered exploits by some so discuss it beforehand in a multiplayer game", since I firmly believe this lies in a gray area and cannot be clearly categorized as a bug.

Top Bottom