Is Weapon Upgrade from Ancient Ruins a bit overpowered and unrealistic?

Weapons upgrades can be quite ridiculous sometimes, but these situations are rare. Getting a Pictish warrior or Hoplite on T5 is very powerful, though not game-breaking. But I've had games where I have a pikeman before T20 because of two weapons upgrade huts in a row. Still, even in a case like that, there's not a whole lot I can do with one pikeman other than clear barb huts. On his own he's not really a threat to anyone.

Do you play Vanilla? I think this was patched out on gods and king and brave new world and one unit can only receive one upgrade

No I play a heavily modded BNW, but the incident I'm talking about happened a very long time ago, it could have been on vanilla.

lol, this thread reminded me of one of my most memorable Civ5 moments. Archipelago map and there were some tiny islands with ancient ruins here and there, so I went to gather them. My unit got three upgrades from, I think, four ruins and I ended up with an Infantry unit when most still had only swordsmen. I went on to conquer one AI civ almost completely with that single infantry unit.

I have never, ever had even two successive weapons upgrades for one unit from ruins. What map types are you all playing?

Pretty sure it was patched out long ago.
I already tried it. Used IGE and have Shoshone pathfinders collect ruins after ruins after ruins. The ones that are already upgraded can get no more upgrades now.

Top Bottom