Isolated starts

hyface

Chieftain
I've noticed that I start a lot of games surrounded by mountains/water and I'm wondering what's an ideal road map when isolated early in the game.

If your start is really, really bad just beeline for the ashen veil and summon Hyborem. You can then leave your old nation with few prospects and see if you can do better with the big bad demon.

Take advantage of your isolation by supporting a smaller army and using the spare commerce to research/expand quickly. Fill up your area with cites, with at least one good coastal production city. Research toward Sailing (without sacrificing your early economic or religious tech needs), and get a foothold on another area (one with an AI if you are playing aggressively) quickly. Then continue normally, confortable in the knowledge that your isolated cities will be relatively safe from attack.

I recommend playing with both isolated and crowded maps in differnt games, they really change the game. Some Civ's are really good rushers and some are good builders. Obivously the builders are favored on isolated starts. Doviello aren't so good.

Best wishes,

Breunor

Top Bottom