Issue: the game goes black and crashes to desktop

Gunship_Down

Chieftain
First off, I love the game, it's excellent.

Sadly my PC seems to be one of those rigs that is plagued by crashes. I do not have these problems with any other game. I have up to date drivers, installed latest DirectX with the game. Already tried tweaking the video options, set everything lower, AA on/off, different resolutions, but there seems to be little difference. I also tried both DirectX modes.

DX10/11: In this mode the crashes happen on occasion and are infrequent. It never happens on startup or save reloads, but only during play. Sometimes I'm fine for two hours, sometimes it happens after 15 minutes of play. The game world freezes, I can still move my cursor and the music keeps playing for a few seconds, then I get a black screen and crash to desktop, getting a notification the game ''stopped working''.

I've noticed this also seems to happen again if I reload and do more or less the same things as before. Say, attack a barabarian camp, adopt a social policy, then move a unit in a certain direction then crash. If I reload and repeat that, it happens again. However if I move my unit in the opposite direction as before I'm fine.

DX9On this mode, I have the same issue, except the screen goes black, I see some purple garbage flashing and then the game resumes as normal, not crashing to desktop. This happens very frequently, like once every 15 minutes. However I also seem to have a problem with texture popping, when I click on the minimap from one part of the world to the next, I notice the textures are all low-res then in a ripple they all load.

It's not my card overheating or anything like that, I checked the temps and they are normal, and I've played games like GTAIV, Mass Effect 2, Borderlands etc. with no issues like this.

My specs:

Windows 7 64-bit home premium
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q9550 @ 2.83GHz
ATI 4870 with 512 VRAM, driver v.10.9
4 GB RAM
Max resolution: 1680 x 1050

Thanks in advance for any help.

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    38.4 KB · Views: 67
Top Bottom