It's OK to reload when...

I reloaded Civ5 once and won the game.

After that, never! And beat that score many times, but everytime I see that game in Hall of Fame it just makes me more determined to never do a reload within the game.

But I DO restarts all the time. No river, no dice!

So where is that frigging reload-button at the start of the game? Noooooo you have to go back and do all the settings again...and maybe again....and maybe again again.

I hate that!

+1

Unless you're in a competition with other people, any reason you like is a suitable reason to reload the game.

This. 95% of my games are multiplayer. First roll of map, no reload. And humans instead of AIs make things even more complicated. You need to be fast, you are at risk, bad moves of units and building/tech path can cost you the game. This is hell compared to singleplayer.

Fact- restart for a river or a resource- cheat

Fact- Misclick? an accident? oh you mean like when a shortstop drops a catch?
misclick - cheat

the evidence is clear- You can call it whatever you want i suppose, but i say cheat

Moderator Action: Posting in a manner intended to provoke a negative reaction is considered trolling.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

misclick - cheat

the evidence is clear- You can call it whatever you want i suppose, but i say cheat

Not a river start and reloading is cheating?

So you actually play every game to finish, when you're 3 in the red already after your 3rd warrior.

Doubt that very much.

But your input was welcome! So now show us how to win an Imm game without river-bonuses. Where you can't upgrade more than 2 swords.

Enlighten us, please.

And by the way, starting a new map wouldn't be cheating on turn 0, how can you call that cheating?

The evidence is even clearer: A player plays as he wants to play without typical cheating in his mind! But a no river start on higher levels is suicide, so why spend the time just to die?

If you don't see the difference from actual cheating and restarting from a bad start, go give evidence of your full-on mega player advise in the Strat-forums.

Or just shut up!

Moderator Action: Please do not tell other users to shut up. It's considered trolling.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

misclick - cheat

Hey, I'm a "cheat" then. I feel really bad about it....

....then i rememeber i'm playing a GAME, and i'm playing it for my own ENJOYMENT

do i reload everytime something bad happens, no
do i "cheat" against other human players, no
do i reload/restart if it enhances my precious few free hours playing a game, yes

The only thing that makes me want to reload is when that worker I've been manually bombarding has 1 attack left before it dies and in my urgency to kill it I right click my 3 promotion scout archer to finish it off... and watch it walk forward into the range of 2 cities, a trebuchet, and 10 warriors.

Even then I don't reload. I do get pissed though.

I used to reload if I lost key units in the very early game as that can be a big setback, but having watched quite a lot of MadDjinn playing Deity games on Youtube where he looses units and moves on to win (where I would have reloaded) I don't reload much at all now.

I figure that if MadDjinn can come back from (what I would consider) key losses, to win on Deity, I should be able to do the same thing on Emperor. I'm always amazed how he just takes losses in his stride and forges on to beat Deity anyway.

I know don't I match his skill, but Emperor is a walk in the park compared to deity, so if he can win deity without reloads, I'm sure going to try to do the same on Emperor.

I never load old saves if something bad happens, but I will start a new game if I don't like the start. When I get better at Civ V I will play the bad starts more, but until then I want a decent start.

Bad starts are fine with me. It's always an interesting challenge. Plus, there's rarely a genuinely terrible start.

I find when I pop a GE, I'll put a wonder in the build queue, but forget to bump it to the top of the list, then proceed to rush a granary that would be done in two turns. That's something I'll reload.
Ohter than that I'll occasionally reload a save just prior to winning the game so I can go for a different victory condition

I'm a reloading bastard. Examples of my weakness include:

Too impatient to move my solo settler one hex at a time and find him face to face with a barb at the end of the move....RELOAD!

If early game and I only have a few workers and one of my automated (another weakness, I know!) is too stupid to move away from a threat in time--RELOAD!

I'm pursuing my super-overextended settling of cities and get infiltrated by another AI settler. Reload make sure a unit is at that spot to kill settler.

If I'm attacking a city that is also being attacked by another AI and I leave the city in a perfect take-over state for the next AI's turn via miscalulation-- RELOAD!

Pretty much any undesirable unintended outcome- Wheee!

Don't know about you guys, but playing at minimum hardware requirements, loading back to a point would mean wasting a lot of time
1. loading (I could go for a coffee or take a shower while waiting)
2. re-playing the turns
3. occasional losing might make you try harder (or even start thinking instead of just clicking and reloading)

so no, I am not reloading

I used to reload very often:
- when I lost a unit,
- when AI build a wonder before me,
- .. I forgot to do something:)

But after what some of You said, I fell like I have almost sinned:)

Maybe something like CiV 10 (or any other number) commandments could be defined.

I reloaded all the flippan time in Alpha Centauri. I justified it by playing at deity (a feet I can't replicate these days for some reason).

Civ 4 I'd reload sometimes, but not that often.

I almost never do in 5. Dunno, but the 1UPT makes it feel more like any loses are my fault rather then getting screwed by the RNG gods (why was your unit there in the first place?).

Though I'll admit, if it gets obvious that it's a lost cause I'll roll up a new game rather then fight to the bitter end.

Though I'll admit, if it gets obvious that it's a lost cause I'll roll up a new game rather then fight to the bitter end.

This at least I don't do (not razzing)... as not doing so has paid off on some spectacular recoveries and give me a sense of what these die-hard enthusists have against cheating in terms of satisfaction. THis will be as close as I get.

But I will bail on a game if advantage is overwhelmingly mine. The old map wipe-up gets old. Especially with the anti-climatic endings.

The great thing about the game is that the starts are diff so you need diff strats every game even using the same civ and map type. Reloading or "cooking" a start kind of defeats the purpose imo.

This at least I don't do (not razzing)... as not doing so has paid off on some spectacular recoveries and give me a sense of what these die-hard enthusists have against cheating in terms of satisfaction. THis will be as close as I get.

But I will bail on a game if advantage is overwhelmingly mine. The old map wipe-up gets old. Especially with the anti-climatic endings.

Oh don't get me wrong, I don't drop at the first lost warrior.

Example: going for science victory, five turns away. Suddenly Montezuma turns my empire green with about 40 nukes (as happened with my last Civ 4 game). I no longer have any cities with a pop bigger then five.

Yeah....

Bad starts are fine with me. It's always an interesting challenge. Plus, there's rarely a genuinely terrible start.

Rarely =/= never. Is it ok to lose instantly on spawn but not know about it for over an hour? That's a *terrible* gameplay design choice. As far as I can tell, civ V got away from it somewhat compared to IV.

The most engaging starts are those sufficiently novel to force one into varying actual builds or strategy. Junk starts that have the same strategic conclusions as good ones are worthless in a gameplay sense.

Top Bottom