I've done it

I have written a combat simulation program which gives 0.00076 probability of the defender winning, as it did, in round 12. What did the damage was, obviously, the string of defender hits at 0.285 probablity each: the probability of such a string occurring is 0.000544.
Such results are to be expected occasionally. This is sad, but true.
By the way, the combat log does show 100% odds whereas the pre-combat on-screen odds would have been ">99.9%". The latter figure is a better guide (there is always some slight chance of a loss) and I suspect that the value in the combat log has been rounded off.

Yep. Originally the pre-battle odds showed 100% as well, but that was changed, so obviously it was happening and people were complaining.

Remember in every battle in Civilization you always have a chance of winning (or losing), no matter how many million to one the odds are.

Well sheesh, if the CIV spearman moved like the Spartans, no one would stand a chance against them. Those damned spartans skip through the time dimension and are in two places nearly at once ;)

Pre-BTS combat odds are calculated wrong with First strikes. Believe me, you are not the only one who has experienced this. I once lost a Samurai @ 100,2% odds.

And once I lost two Jaguars @ 99,9% in a row :gripe:

Why the hell are you taoist when everyone else is buddhist? You deserve to have lost for doing something do dumb.

Because he has Riflemen at Drill IV and they have Spearmen. Why join the masses when you can punish the heathens instead?

The results suggest that God sided with the heathens.

Genv [FP];6840325 said:
I'm going to have to stone you to death for promoting your units wrong.

Death to other people's ideas! Mine is the only correct one!

I was just testing. I normally use the combat line of promotions, but I thought for a change I would try drill. Combat is correct :)

Why the hell are you taoist when everyone else is buddhist? You deserve to have lost for doing something do dumb.

Because it NEVER spread to me :cry: for 4000 years I sat there, every city on the continent was Buddhist and it never spread and no missionary came my way. I had even built the wonder that gives every religious civic hoping for a religion.

Then in the very turn it was discovered Christianity spread :mad:. I then got Taoism by research. In the end I was so desperate for Pacifism I converted to one of the religions I did have. By this stage I was so advanced it made no difference. Also two of the three civs on the continent liked me. The game would have been so much easier if I had got Buddhism :(

Just yesterday I've lost fully two healthy spearmen with combat 1 promotions trying to attack one horse archer with combat 1 :(. But I guess it is nowere near as bad as what ahppened to OP.

I just wanted to post this...

I'd really like to see this worlds "300 of us against rifles"-movie

Since Spartans didn't do well against archers, I can't imagine riflemen giving them time for too much swaggering before finishing them off.

:king:I belive most of you know but i will tell it anyway:
as far as i played i begun to understand that winning or loosing is precaulcated so if you have 99.9 odds of winning and save and loose and load again you won't win :).it does n t matter for the animation you wo n t win.
still i belve it s better like this through sometimes 4 losses in a row with odds of about 77.7 makes me feel suspicios

It is somewhat like that. Before the game begins a set of numbers is created and this is saved with the game. For everything that is left to chance one of these numbers is selected. So if (and the AI) do the exact same moves a second time, you will get the exact same results. There is something you can select before starting so that a new set of numbers is created upon reloading, but I forget the wording of it. So if you do things in a different order after reloading you can get different results.

This is a simplified description of it.

I don't know, something like that. It is one of the options when you select "custom game" along with no tech trading, cities flip after conquest, etc... Never used it, but took me a while to figure out what it was.

Since Spartans didn't do well against archers, I can't imagine riflemen giving them time for too much swaggering before finishing them off.

Actually, archers only worked after they were surrounded and could no longer use the phanalax formation. Also, in 300, they took on grenadiers pretty easily, so why not riflemen?

It is somewhat like that. Before the game begins a set of numbers is created and this is saved with the game. For everything that is left to chance one of these numbers is selected. So if (and the AI) do the exact same moves a second time, you will get the exact same results. There is something you can select before starting so that a new set of numbers is created upon reloading, but I forget the wording of it. So if you do things in a different order after reloading you can get different results.

This is a simplified description of it.

"New Random Seed on Reload". I always play with it enabled because I'm not entirely sure how it works but sometimes it seems like I'm losing all of my 70-% battles with some particular seeds (could just be me being human and seeing patterns etc.)

Top Bottom