[NFP] January Update Video Discussion

And what about grant chang 's cloth and mug , should we read something into it about the next civ or is it just a 'wintery' fashion and I'm slowly sliding into conspiracy theory mode ?
I think you're slipping. No offense meant.

The top and bottom corners of box are not equal.
My perfectionist mind is defeated
upload_2021-1-20_7-48-30.png

As usually, no final judgement until I have played...but the Preserve leaves me with mixed feelings. It is atmospheric to have and surely creates an alternative to lumbermilling the forests around a HS and the rainforests around a Campus (I wonder if the two possible buildings are mutually exclusive like the ones in Neighbourhoods?). However, given it is a district, it is probably also costy one (hammers and the needed district slot). Also, the synergy/rivalty with National pPrks - likely (unless they change the NP rules) you will not be able to include preserved tiles in NP, so combining them will even lead to more space being needed. The "optimal" case I can imagine is that initially mentioned rainforest-Campus close to all a NP side; then the rainforest doesn't ruin adjacency. Still you don't have the chance to actually actively "np" swamp or rainforest tiles. And it will likely also don't help you, if you have a startegic ressource like Iron close to a NP and decide you don't need to mine the Iron anymore late game. I tend to tear down the mine then, but there will be probably no chance to preserve the tile (as you likely cannot built this district on strategic ressources you have revaled). It's functionality also overlaps with Liangs City Parks, though the price tag for the Preserve might leave her still a niche.

The corporation game mode...I hoped for a deeper gameplay around strategic ressource as well, like using Iron and Coal for producing Steel. Still, it looks like it could be a fun addition, provided that it doesn't mess up overall game balance (e.g. I will be vary to use it together with Secret Socities - two "yield heavy" game modes together feel like overkill) and isn't plagued by too many serious bugs.

Damn you! Now I can't unsee it... You could not have saved it just for you, mhm?
Thunder strike me! This is the first thing that caught my eye and watched the rest of the video with the thought: what the hell ???

I've pretty much lost interest in Civ VI, and haven't played since November. I might give this update a try, though, as the new features all seem pretty interesting to me. I really like how resources and monopolies work in Vox Populi, and this looks a bit similar.

This looks very good, though I have a feeling it needs more than a DLC to do economic warfare justice. I fear that as with previous game modes, the AI will just not have a clue about how to use it. The preserve could be very cool.

It makes me even more desiring a feature to remove certain leaders from the random pool - previously requested to prevent Korea from appearing. I would like not to have Kublai in the mix, (a) because he looks like a hobbit, and (b) if China is in the game, I would like them to have a Chinese leader.

As to the Portugal vs a Native American civ, I back Portugal 100%. So what if there are many European civs? That's the way history played out.

The Preserve is so weird. The district itself gives appeal to adjacent tiles, but the two buildings have anti-synergy with everything that actually cares about appeal, with a few exceptions like the Earth Goddess Pantheon Belief and National Parks.

Still, there are a few civs who will greatly benefit from the early Housing, Food, Faith, and Culture boosts. The Kongo in particular might have a use for this, as their inability to build Holy Sites leaves them with few options for generating Faith in the early game.

Last edited by a moderator:
As to the Portugal vs a Native American civ, I back Portugal 100%. So what if there are many European civs? That's the way history played out.

Starting the Age of Exploration, it's indeniable that European cultures began to be more prominent on the world, but we had to wait again one or two centuries before they had a truly hegemony over the world.
So that's 300-500 years (at best) that are eurocentric, over a History that can span for 4000 years (if we base the lower limit at Hammurabi, the oldest non-mythological ruler in the game). So just because European dominated the game for 12.5% at best, we need to have half the game as Europe? That's no justification my friend.
During the Middle-Ages, Europeans were strong... in Europe. Just because your school had an over-emphasis over European History (because of the current European cultural hegemony) doesn't mean that's true. In fact, during the Middle-Ages, technologically and socially speaking Europe was not that brillant compared to the Arabic world of even the Sinosphere.
But yeah, "that's the way history played out" is just plain wrong and a dangerous and harmful way of thinking what we should choose as new civilizations because it only reinforce our eurocentric values.

On the other hand, Portugal really had an impact worldwide by being one of the first (if not the first) true global superpower. I would have added him way earlier, and I can name 10 civs on top of my head that should have let their place to Portugal a long time ago.

Portugal did have an impact on history though. They had cities all over the globe! Busted open international trade! Circumnavigated the globe!

That's not nothing. It certainly is more galling we got Macedon, Scotland and two Scandi Civs (as opposed to one) over them, no?

Never the less, them being European shouldn't be an argument for or against. They mattered. Fingers crossed they're the final Civ.

you saying Only European history matters most?
That is NOT how history played out at all.
The amount of ignorance of history from you is astonishing!
There is a difference between "Only European history matters", and "That's the way history played out" don't you think? ;)
Second of all. If you consider history as building empires, conquests, technological advantages, the capability of forcing one's rules on the other etc. then objectively, yes the Western Civilization from the renaissance era was the most effective and powerful and shaped the world as we know it today. BUT if you consider history as a mosaic of various cultures without evaluating which culture is better, than the Europeans were just one among many.

Besides the game is mostly selling in NA and Europe, so Civs from this region, or Civs familiar in this region have some sort of handicap, and it is called a law of the market. The question if Mapuche is a "better" choice than Sweden is highly subjective. The majority of people think this way, and the majority of people in this particular market subjectively would like to see Sweden over Mapuche. History has nothing to do with this.

I like the look of the corporations mode... This one seems to have real promise for shaking up how you want to play in an interesting way.

Vietnam and Kublai Khan... neither look like they'll jump out for me the way Maya, Ethiopia and Gaul have... But they also don't look like I'll actively dislike them.

I guess this time I'm in it for the game mode...

And for my 2 cents I hope it's someone new in the last pack. Portugal may be historically relevant but we have enough colonizer/trading civs in civ6 already...

I like the look of the corporations mode... This one seems to have real promise for shaking up how you want to play in an interesting way.
It's called Capitalism, babyyyyyy!!!!

Some info on AI improvement, tactical combat, AI aircraft use. For me it is the most important thing now, without it the game gets boring ...

Hey everyone, I am making a video on the things we found out on the January update and I want to appropriately credit everyone who has found each detail. If possible, can I get the usernames for the people who found the Thanh, Vietnamese leader, and the Vietnamese ability first? I want to make sure that they are represented, because I certainly would have taken longer to find out the details haha

Hey everyone, I am making a video on the things we found out on the January update and I want to appropriately credit everyone who has found each detail. If possible, can I get the usernames for the people who found the Thanh, Vietnamese leader, and the Vietnamese ability first? I want to make sure that they are represented, because I certainly would have taken longer to find out the details haha
@MoySauce and @pokiehl did Vietnam's Ability, @bite and @DogeEnricoDandolo did the Thanh, and @VGT did the Leader.

Top Bottom