Just bought the game - questions

Donut9

Chieftain
First, I just lost over an hour of playtime because I could not save the game. I have played every Civ except 2 - i am not new to the series. I found no way at all to save the game. Basically everything this person says in this thread is what happened to me: https://ccplz.net/threads/help-civilization-v-how-are-you-supposed-to-save-the-game.44310/

Next question: what do you guys think of Civ 5? I love Civ 4, but hate stacks. How will I find Civ 5?

Next question: how well will a PC with a core i5 2320 @ 3GHz, 8 gigs of RAM, and a GTX 650 run this game? Do I need to limit my map sizes or anything?

Last question: any advice on starting Civ, social policies, etc?

Thanks in advance.

For your first issue, try setting auto-save to every turn or 2 turns. That way if you crash, shouldn't be an issue.

2) I never played civ 4, but civ 5 has kept me occupied for going on 3 years now, which is very rare for me.

3) not sure about your specs. I have a laptop with decent but not great specs. It starts to suffer on large maps, and i can't play huge maps. normal size is totally fine though. Best way to figure out it is try out the 'into the renaissance' scenario. if your computer can handle it more than 100 turns, you're in the clear...

4) you can ask 10 differnt people and they'll give you 10 differnt answers. Generally speaking, starting with a civ that has a specific edge might be worth it. I personally recommend arabia, persia, siam or england. as for policies, it depends how you wanna play. tall (4 or less cities with big populations) go with tradition, wide (6 or more), go with liberty. generally speaking, choosing one of those two and filling them out is your best bet for early game. one thing to keep in mind, certain policy tree can't work in tandem with others, like piety and rationalism.

Regarding your last question: Experiment, read, and try.

If you could hear my thoughts when I'm playing, they'd probably be "Hey, what if...?" :p

First, I just lost over an hour of playtime because I could not save the game. I have played every Civ except 2 - i am not new to the series. I found no way at all to save the game. Basically everything this person says in this thread is what happened to me: https://ccplz.net/threads/help-civilization-v-how-are-you-supposed-to-save-the-game.44310/

Next question: what do you guys think of Civ 5? I love Civ 4, but hate stacks. How will I find Civ 5?

Next question: how well will a PC with a core i5 2320 @ 3GHz, 8 gigs of RAM, and a GTX 650 run this game? Do I need to limit my map sizes or anything?

Last question: any advice on starting Civ, social policies, etc?

Thanks in advance.

First question: You can't save in the "learn while you play" tutorial, unfortunately. In normal games you'll see the save option in the main menu.

Second question: It should run it fine. It's almost identical to my system, except I have a 660. Let it detect your optimum settings. I did and it runs fine on the largest map size and lots of activity. (Expect some map texture load-in and lengthy turn waits for the AI. That's normal almost no matter what system you have.)

Third question: I enjoy the game overall, but have some serious issues with it as well. If you want a more detailed reply without totally derailing your thread, see my lengthy post in the Rants thread here: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?p=12248372#post12248372 Don't be too alarmed my the complaints therein. I enjoy the game. It's fun, and that matters. I'm just not quite satisfied.

Last question: It's a pretty forgiving game, especially on lower difficulties. Just experiment. :)

Top Bottom