Just finised my first game!

cafka

Working Class Hero
It only took three MONTHS! :D

Seriously, I've started dozens of games, but most of them didn't work out very well, so I just abandon them. ;)

Played as the greeks, won a cultural victory - in 1990. :D :rolleyes:

Personally demolished Rome, Egypt, America and the Aztecs (and was about to nuke the s h i t out of England with my new ICMBs :goodjob: )... Controlled like 90% of the world, so I'm pretty confused, why didn't I win a military victory? ;)

Got some more experience to, such as "don't build so damn close, because starvation and slow production sucks" :D :rolleyes: ;)

Pollution was a ***** to. :)

Congratulations! I've never won a cultural victory. Well done. Diplomatic, histographic, and space-race victories, that's it for me.

Yep, my biggest gripe is pollution micromanagement. I hope they consider abstracting pollution in the next installment, or giving us some easier way to clean it up.

You win which ever way comes first...If im correct you win by military only after the game has ended.

I'm pretty sure you can find an explanation as to why you didn't win by domination in the GOTM for civ3 forum. I think I saw one there. Basically, the bigger the map, the higher proportion you must control. Something like 85% on a huge map with lots of land.

Congratulations! for actually winning/finishing a game. I've had the game for a couple of months now, but I can't bring myself to take the time and live through the horrendously long turns once I hit the industrial age. Just to play 5 turns takes 20-30 minutes(or more) --and that's doing a minimal amount of things on my turn.

I love the game, and I usually do quite well (I play on Regent), but I just find it so much more fun just to start over, try another civ, and use new strategies.

I should try to make it to the end of the game. Maybe some day . . .

Colonel Kraken, what size maps are you playing on? I get significant delays if I play on large maps and above, but I've played entire games at standard and smaller, and I get almost no delay between turns even in the endgame. (Athlon T-Bird 900, 512M RAM, GeForce II GTS.) Give smaller maps a try; they're fun!

Originally posted by Grotius
Colonel Kraken, what size maps are you playing on? I get significant delays if I play on large maps and above, but I've played entire games at standard and smaller, and I get almost no delay between turns even in the endgame. (Athlon T-Bird 900, 512M RAM, GeForce II GTS.) Give smaller maps a try; they're fun!

Thanks for the suggestions, Grotius! You're definitely right. I do play on smaller maps (medium size with 6-8 civs), but you may have hit the nail on the head with the stats of your computer.

I have a lot of RAM, a good 32MB graphics card, but a crummy processor :)o I'm embarrassed to say: 233MHz K-6). Don't worry, as soon as I get my tax money, I'm buying a new motherboard and processor. I can't wait!

Unfortunately, I've heard even people with the latest greatest machines experience long delays. Well, I'm glad yours is a good experience. I hope mine will be too.

Thanks.

--Colonel

A lot of luck is involved regarding where you start.

I was once on a smallish continent with the English. I eventually pushed them right off the continent. But the Persians were on a continent twice as large next to the Chinese. After the Chinese were wiped I was totally outnumbered. Nothing I could have done as it all came before ocean-going ships.

I had my first win last night too; A diplomatic victory in 1981. It took me about three weeks and three different scenarios before i managed to succeed on warlord level.

Of the three (Civ 1-3, never played Alpha Centauri) I've played the original Civ the most and it was ages since i played Civ 2 and boy did it show. :rolleyes:

With my victory last night i were slightly behind in inventions compared to the real world history and i still worked my butt off to get ahead, i find that really cool. I also love the introduction of culture even though corruption is a bit steep and limits you a bit too much imho.

My diplomatic victory was a bit of an anticlimax since i was damn close of going to war against Japan and had a huge fleet of battleships that i wanted to put to good use. I think i'll turn off diplomatic victories from now on.

My scenario had everything at random and i ended up with a medium sized map with about 10-15 islands of varying size and 8 civs, myself being Greek. My starting island (about 12x20 squares) had some superb recources; 6 wheat squares with one on riverland, four on grassland and one on plains, one cow on plains and one gold (and later one iron that lasted the entire scenario). The only problem was that the Germans were on the same island. My main concern from the start was to get rid of the Germans since i wanted the blasted island to myself so i made more fighters than i would've done if i were completely alone but in the end it didn't hurt my starting game too much and the Germans were quickly dispatched into history.

My only enemy, save the Germans, were the Zulus but i managed to bribe myself out of a war long enough for me to be able to strike back (and then some) when his demands started to get out of hand. I tried to limit the damage done by just clearing him off the island we were fighting over, i really did, but the war crazed Zulu leader refused to accept my reasonable demands so i was forced to remove him as a threat. With aid from the Japanese i reduced the Zulu empire from about fifteen cities to about three. Zulus didn't like me very much after that but at least they signed a peace treaty. From there on it was all about raising a defence, fattening up my cities and aim for the UN while i made the other civs happy with cash donations and the odd discovery.

In hindsight, the extreme amount of wheat on my home continent made things alot easier and i shouldn't expect to see it again any time soon. I wonder what Civ i'll get for my next scenario?

Civ, it's a love affair :love:

Top Bottom