K-Mod: Far Beyond the Sword

@bob
i too had a go off matt's save for the hell of it. in fairness to him i think his far-flung army was just after taking a legendary city off pacal in order to block him. and city razing was off. ;)

@matt
im no great player and prob shouldn't dispense advice, but i got within 3 of space race victory only for that cheeky scamp pacal to nick a cultural victory. pretty sure i would have got the SR victory had huynacapac(sp?) not ran a shed load of spies to break spaceship parts on a few occasions (3 i think). i wasnt giving it my full concentration so didnt transfer any esp onto him.

anyway for what it's worth, my quick and dirty solution was to drag the expeditionary force back home for defence and leave those 2 former mayan cities for zara to take/slow him down. paid qin to declare war on inca, who took peace in couple turns in exchange for 2 cities (i kno, inelegant, but i was impatient). i converted to christianity which helped get zara back onside in due course. i voted pericles in un so zara wouldnt get diplo victory. didnt build anything else but spaceship parts and the odd small happy/helathy building. the units already built were sufficient.

my only vague suggestion, prob nothing you don't kno already: get some backup! i don't think anyone was your buddy and you sure got stuck into war on many fronts. get everyone else to fight each other! qin was super-helpful in keeping the other guys busy. if they're building units for war, thats less production put into other endeavours.

I've been enjoying the KMod immensely.

Can anyone help me with two UI queries I have?

a) how do I stop the camera zooming to a unit after I exit a city screen?
b) how do I have the city overview screen (F1) to "remember" the column I have sorted by. For example, if I sort by hammers to zip in and out of cities with high hammers to order factories to be build, I don't wish the columns to re-sort by the default everytime I come back from the city screen.

a)Explain a bit more that problem plz cus every time i get out of the city screen it zooms out/it to view i had before i entered city screen.
b)It has been suggested adding that feature. Now its up to karadoc to do it or not ;)

a) There's currently no way to stop that from happening. (except that it doesn't happen if you have already moved all your units...) I sometimes find it annoying as well, so maybe I should look into it.
b) I do intend to implement the memory thing. I'd forgotten about it, but I think it should be pretty easy to do. I guess I should add it to the github issue tracker, so that I remember.

The next version is coming along a bit slowly. The pitboss fixes I mentioned are all done and working well, but that's the bulk of what's been done so far.

[edit]
I remember why I haven't done the 'remember which column was sorted' thing.. it's because it's actually not easy to do. At least, I can't think of an easy way to do it. :(

hey karadoc,
in version 1.29 you implemented a change whereby unmet human players' civs/leaders are hidden. prior to this version i had been using this mod comp: http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=14066 with kmod for my own multiplayer stuff. it only adds a tiny change to CvMainInterface and it provides similar (ish) functionality to your change above. it basically removes all human players from the scoreboard until met, however their text-chat colour is still civ specific. anway i like your change but was wondering if you'd consider making it so human players were completely unknown until met? personally anway, i'd prefer not to know other unknown players' scores (and by inference, learn what other humans are up to).

also, have to say kmod is pretty damn tight now. it's achieved a level of polish that you'd expect from a game with a full pro team working on it. really shows up some of the failings of the base game.

I used to dominate at BBAI Monarch and be fairly OK 1 in five games on Emperor. With this excellent mod I had to go back to Prince level to get a handle on the AI early game play. Basically I now have to plan like I'm playing humans, well initially at least. Great stuff.

I have one minor request. Could you up the number of Civs allowed to a higher number? 34 seems the logical choice so that you can have every Civ on a map if you want. I like playing with at least 18 civs and dislike the fact that this prevents any colonies in the game.

Bug (in BUG).

in BUG mod options/advisors tab, if you select "use BUG religion advisor" and "show founded religions", the sort order gets messed up in the actual rel advisor screen. for eg: with (only) these options on in early game, buddhism gets founded however the relevant details show up under the judaism column.

@captain

i asked karadoc awhile back about it and he said there are performance issues with extra civs in the dll. even if not all 34 are in the game, some calls are made to each slot anyway.

i kinda like more civs too though :) and was gonna ask if you wanted me to attach one i compiled, but looking at your post history, youre familiar with programming. adjust CvDefines.h, line 58.

sorted!

Hi, enjoying your mod. :)

Something you might want to check, I've just had a city to culture flip back to my vassal. (Utrecht, save attached.) AFAIK, this shouldn't happen without culture flipping after conquest checked.

Attachments

• Lizzie AD-1555_flip.CivBeyondSwordSave
    175.3 KB · Views: 47
Karadoc, what do you think about making electriciy tech a pre-req for all kinds of power plants? In my games assembly line is usually discovered before electricity and I end up having lots of coal plants without knowing a heck about electric current. This seems not right.
(May be even better option is moving coal plants to industrialism. The name of this tech suggests that it should give a noticable boost to industry but for now it actually doesn't.)

Im not sure if this is historically correct, but u could have used steam to do stuff u do with electricity. U can use it to move the gears and stuff to make it seem like its on electricity. I dont know rly... It seems a bit odd.
The question is not if electricity should be pre req for something but whether what would that drastically change in the game?

I don't think it would really change gameplay much (though it will make usual late-game growth of production capacity a little smoother and a little harder to achive what I think is a positive change). This is more a flavour issue.

@satrapper, Thanks for the bug report. I've fixed it now. Apparently the bug you saw was my fault. It was a side effect of a bug-fix that I apparently botched a long time ago. The original bug that was I fixing was that the non-BUG religion advisor screen simply didn't work at all with the BUG mod. So I fixed that, but broke those other options in the process...

@Gavaday, I have thought about moving coal power plants from assembly line to electricity. I think it would probably be better for both balance and for realism. What En Dotter says about steam power is true, but never the less, I think the coal power plants in Civ4 are portrayed as electricity supplies. As for balance, I just think it would help to have the strength of the power plants behind the Scientific Method barrier; also, it would move coal plants closer to the other types of power plants.

So yeah, I have thought about that, and I do think it's probably a good idea... but I'm pretty reluctant to change it because I think it would have a significant effect on late-game strategy. I generally like to keep things close to the original rules... That's pretty much the only thing stopping me from changing it.

@Yamps
The 'no culture flipping after conquest' rule is actually a little bit subtle. In the unmodded game, the rule means that cities cannot flip to anyone who has previously owned the city - but you can still flip cities that have been captured in a war as long as you were not one of the previous owners.

In K-Mod, the rule is slightly more relaxed. Only the most recent previous owner is blocked from flipping the city back (as opposed to all previous owners being blocked).

So, for example, if team A captures a city from team B, then team C captures it from team A... team B could then culturally flip the city back again. Their ability to flip the city is restored when C captured the city from A.

See what I mean?

Every game i'm playing with k-mod is the best so far, until i play another game with an updated k-mod. Can't wait for v1.31!

@Yamps
The 'no culture flipping after conquest' rule is actually a little bit subtle. In the unmodded game, the rule means that cities cannot flip to anyone who has previously owned the city - but you can still flip cities that have been captured in a war as long as you were not one of the previous owners.

In K-Mod, the rule is slightly more relaxed. Only the most recent previous owner is blocked from flipping the city back (as opposed to all previous owners being blocked).

So, for example, if team A captures a city from team B, then team C captures it from team A... team B could then culturally flip the city back again. Their ability to flip the city is restored when C captured the city from A.

See what I mean?

Yes, I've read the change log. ;)

The problem in my save:

I captured Will's city Utrecht and he capitulated.
He culture flipped the city back to him.
There wasn't another team involved here so this shouldn't happen.

yamps

check your eventlog, in 1380 Utrecht was captured by the evil Sumerians. in 1440, glorious Brittania nicked it back from them, thereby creating the possibility of the Dutch culture flip.
mystery solved. :)

yamps

check your eventlog, in 1380 Utrecht was captured by the evil Sumerians. in 1440, glorious Brittania nicked it back from them, thereby creating the possibility of the Dutch culture flip.
mystery solved. :)

Uh, I totally forgot about that! Brain overheating it seems. Never mind then, sorry for confusion.

Bug

autoplay and change civ functionality is still operational in multiplayer.

unless i've messed something on my end.:confused:

Zulu just lost 2 cities to the Persian war machine about 12 turns before this save. I declared war on the Persians around that time, and burned their capital that had a world wonder and 7 great general military instructors inside, and then made peace with them.

The Dutch, about 4 turns before this save declared war on me. And about 2 turns before the save, Zulus made peace with the Persians.

So it came at a complete surprise, that the turn of the save, the Zulus declared war on me! I was their ally vs Persia. Gave them back one of their lost cities, and burned the enemy Persian capital.

Theyve yet to send their army at me, so maybe they are a threat to me, but they were beatened pretty heavily by the Persians. Something about this situation makes me want to cry out for a fix...I know Ive said "no" to alot of their random trash demands for entering a million wars or asking for free techs, but I was their war ally for at least 10 turns and gave them a city back!

Thoughts?

Attachments

• forkaradoc.CivBeyondSwordSave
    771.9 KB · Views: 47
Sounds like a normal Shaka situation to me actually :D

Sounds like a normal Shaka situation to me actually :D

Second this. It's very easy to bribe Shaka to war and that was probably done by Dutch or Persians.

Top Bottom