[NFP] Kublai Khan Discussion Thread

Has anyone been able to find what idle animations Kublai reuses? Or does he not reuse any?

Started several games as Kublai Khan today and always got super crappy start positions (mostly expanded tundra and desert regions). Was it just bad luck or is he designed to suffer from the start?

Mongolia has a bias towards Horses and China has no bias.
If that is in the program code, then it must be right. But I really keep asking myself: why do I almost always have to restart a game five or more times to get a start that is at least "slightly possible" to play with?
These game options should work or work better: If I choose "hot", I get tons of desert, "wet" gives me floodplains with no production, "cold" is even more tundra. And "legendary start" guarantees a legendarily horrible start anyway.

I royally screwed up the timing of the trade routes with China Kublai Khan. I don't think it's worth it to wait until end game techs needed for science victory to try to complete those trade routes. I was on a huge map, and I forgot how long those trade routes took to complete. I have one trade route to Russia that is like 60 turns to complete. I only got a boost from 1 trade route this game. That's pretty sad from a game with over 11 civs in it (I think only 11 civs are left alive at the end game). So while I was able to have enough cities spread out to make trade routes with all 11 civs, they did not complete before I finished the tech and civics trees. :hammer2: Miscalculation on my part how long those late game trade routes to far off places take.

While in theory it would have resulted in more science that way, I think it's better to take them early when you need it the most. Even if there is the chance it will be for something you would have got the boost for eventually anyways.

And I honestly think Kublai Khan Mongolia is better for this reason. I'll eventually get around to playing them.

I royally screwed up the timing of the trade routes with China Kublai Khan. I don't think it's worth it to wait until end game techs needed for science victory to try to complete those trade routes. I was on a huge map, and I forgot how long those trade routes took to complete. I have one trade route to Russia that is like 60 turns to complete. I only got a boost from 1 trade route this game. That's pretty sad from a game with over 11 civs in it (I think only 11 civs are left alive at the end game). So while I was able to have enough cities spread out to make trade routes with all 11 civs, they did not complete before I finished the tech and civics trees. :hammer2: Miscalculation on my part how long those late game trade routes to far off places take.

While in theory it would have resulted in more science that way, I think it's better to take them early when you need it the most. Even if there is the chance it will be for something you would have got the boost for eventually anyways.

And I honestly think Kublai Khan Mongolia is better for this reason. I'll eventually get around to playing them.

I sent my traders out towards the middle of my game as Chinese Kublai... I think of those that have finished so far I've gotten things like Radio, Cultural History, Nationalism, and Chemistry so it's worked out fairly nice for me. I should have some of the later eurekas and inspirations coming my way soon, too.

I still don't think you want to send them out *too* early because those techs and civics are the easiest to get eurekas/inspirations on for the most part. I can see Mongolia getting them to pop as soon as you send the traders out being a double edged sword... yeah, it gives you a bit more control, but you also might have to hold off awhile on actually sending the routes where you want so you don't pop something silly.

I've discovered an interesting interaction (possibly a bug) with Kublai's ability, which allows you to trigger multiple eurekas and inspirations per enemy civ.
Here's what happened (I was using Mongolian Kublai, presumably it works with Chinese as well, but the trade post timing is trickier):

1. I sent a trader to enemy city A (it created a trade post immediately and I got the boosts).
2. I declared war on that civ and I conquered the city.
3. I peaced out and sent another trade route to enemy city B of the same civ (note that I didn't have trade posts in any other cities of that civ).
4. I got a eureka and an inspiration again.

Basically, the ability seems to trigger not just the first time you create a trade post in a civ in the game, but anytime you create your first trade post in a civ currently.

I've discovered an interesting interaction (possibly a bug) with Kublai's ability, which allows you to trigger multiple eurekas and inspirations per enemy civ.
Here's what happened (I was using Mongolian Kublai, presumably it works with Chinese as well, but the trade post timing is trickier):

1. I sent a trader to enemy city A (it created a trade post immediately and I got the boosts).
2. I declared war on that civ and I conquered the city.
3. I peaced out and sent another trade route to enemy city B of the same civ (note that I didn't have trade posts in any other cities of that civ).
4. I got a eureka and an inspiration again.

Basically, the ability seems to trigger not just the first time you create a trade post in a civ in the game, but anytime you create your first trade post in a civ currently.
I guess that introduces more strategies of systematic conquests, not immediately destroying your opponents in order to gain more bonuses. Huh...

Top Bottom