[NFP] Kublai Khan Discussion Thread

bite

Unofficial Civilization Cartographer
Super Moderator
Leading China and Mongolia

It's confirmed!!

Looks like just as expected.

Wonder if anything else will be added on to bonuses besides eurekas and inspirations from trade routes.

He'd better have two different in-game models. Looks like he might though, the model revealed earlier is the Mongol one.

Hey, @pokiehl. I won the bet! Even though we didn't make one, I won! No offense meant, just really excited.

He's not the alternate leader I would have chosen, but at least China finally gets an alternate leader.

Although I didn't anticipate he'd be leading China as well, I'm pleasantly surprised!

I'm hoping the reason why the Mongol model looks a bit meh is because the Chinese model looks much better.

Edit: I was hoping the model would look better in HD, but it doesn't.

Apart from the weird clipping and shadows (or lack of it), there's too many straight lines in parts that should be round.
---

I think the model and animations for the Vietnam leader are going to look pretty sweet.

Last edited:
In the Video, it seems that Kublai doesn't get any other bonuses on international trade routes - the trade route to Xi'an just offers a normal +3 gold.

Therefore I wonder what his other abilities are, since the "trade route Eureka and Inspiration boost" is very situational.

Also, the Kublai model really, really miss out opportunities to get his head and hairstyle right. :deadhorse: Guess I will stick with this Kublai model comment as my biggest criticism on NFP.

Last edited:
Looks like the ability has to do with free eurekas and inspirations from trade routes too. Not much left for the First Look to cover!

How not? We need to see if Chiblai / Kublai Chin wears a hat. And if his robes rival Qin's... just that makes the First Look worthwhile :lol:

I can't see why they wouldn't give him an outfit change for China, they did with Eleanor. Maybe in his white shaman garb, as that is his most famous image.

Although, to be true, Eleanor does not change outfit when leading England or France, just hairstyle (and hat!)

Maybe the bonus is: gets a free eureka or inspiration when sending a trade route to each civilization for the first time, in addiction to some other bonus.

Receiving a free eureka or inspiration every time completing a trade route sounds quite powerful to me, especially in the middle/late game.

Maybe the bonus is: gets a free eureka or inspiration when sending a trade route to each civilization for the first time, in addiction to some other bonus.
Receiving a free eureka or inspiration every time completing a trade route sounds quite powerful to me, especially in the middle/late game.

"A free Eureka and Inspiration when sending a trade route to each civ the first time" is an unused code long existed in the game. The devs probably repurposed it for Kublai.

I would also say it is fairly situational, on a normal sized map Kublai would only receive 7 Eureka and Inspiration at maximum, not to say he would also have a hard time to reach civs on the other side of the world.

"A free Eureka and Inspiration when sending a trade route to each civ the first time" is an unused code long existed in the game. The devs probably repurposed it for Kublai.

I would also say it is fairly situational, on a normal sized map Kublai would only receive 7 Eureka and Inspiration at maximum, not to say he would also have a hard time to reach civs on the other side of the world.
If it works on city-states then it might be much better.

or maybe it's for the first trading post in each civ/city? we saw mongol kublai khan send a trade route and get the bonuses, but mongolia gets trading posts immediately upon sending trade routes, so maybe that's why?
getting it for each civ could be fine if it also includes city states, otherwise its underwhelming, whereas per city seems super powerful.
getting the bonus from trading posts also would make the choice between mongol kublai and chinese kublai very interesting - do you want the bonus to be sooner, or more potent?

Have you noticed +3 faith? At the same time, there is no Holy Site in Ulaanbataar, because trade route only gives +1 food (city center bonus)
upload_2021-1-19_23-57-47.png

Maybe he settled on a Resource and has God King plugged in?
2 cities on resource? I don’t think so. Not in this video. This is a hint to us
Also, Khubilai had already fought the barbarians ... what would that mean ..?

Top Bottom