1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] Lack of Desert in Mali Start

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by pop daddy, Feb 19, 2019.

1. riddleofsteel

riddleofsteel Office Linebacker

I'm noticing that even when I do get desert starts, they're like totally barren garbage desert patches surrounded by mediocre plains or tundra. I'm using the detailed worlds map mod, so I'm not sure if that's a factor. Is it okay to settle your subsequent cities on non-desert areas, if not your first city? In many cases I only have enough desert for the first city.

2. AmazonQueen

AmazonQueen Warlord

As Mali the desert is helpful in getting you a good pantheon and 1 city with lots of flat desert is good for sending caravans from but unless you pick Desert Folklore as your pantheon theres not much reason to stick every city in desert.

3. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

All you need is 1 desert city for your trade routes. The rest is not a big deal... you just need to get going quick... hence chopping.

4. Kwami

Kwami Chieftain

There are only a few tier 1 biases. The Lisbon and Nan Madol city states have a tier 1 coastal bias. Canada has a tier 1 bias for tundra and tundra hills. Before GS, Nubia had a tier 1 bias for desert and desert hills. In GS, those biases are tier 2. I'm not aware of any other tier 1 biases.

5. OmegaDestroyer

OmegaDestroyer Chieftain

If Canada has a tier 1 bias for tundra and tundra hills, it is straight up broken. I restarted about a dozen times trying to get a tundra start with Canada before finally getting one. It's absurd.

6. godman85

godman85 Chieftain

I have a 0 resource start on the desert as Mali but I can't help but want to keep it because of the wonder next to me and the hills. Like freaking 8 of them. If i get petra, this city is gonna be LIT

7. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

OK so Mali does not get -30% for chopping meaning start away from the desert and chop to speed things up a bit perhaps?

8. Navelgazer

Navelgazer Chieftain

In my Mali game (in which they performed outstandingly) they started next to a single isolated desert panel, with no other ones anywhere nearby (it ended up being the only one in my empire.) Moreover, I've found "Tier One" bonuses don't mean much. Nubia has a "Tier One" desert start bias and I've never, ever started a game with them where I could settle my capital next to or on desert on turn 1 in the roughly hundred times I've tried. (Thankfully Nubia is still great without that start, but come on.)

9. Kwami

Kwami Chieftain

As I said previously, Nubia's bias is tier 2 in GS. So, nobody has a tier 1 desert bias anymore.