1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Laptops - Black Terrain, Graphics Cards

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Technical Support' started by tutankamon, Oct 28, 2005.

1. tutankamon

tutankamon Chieftain

I have 3 laptops here. Here is what happened on all of them.

a) LG centrino 1.5 ghz, 512 RAM,
    Graphics card: Intel® 82852/82855 Graphics

The game loads, videos are a bit cut, but overall sweet stuff. I open up the game.....all black terrain.

b) Compaq Pentium 4 Presario 2500 3.05ghz, 448 RAM
    Graphics card: RADEON IGP 345M

The game loads, videos are a bit cut, but overall sweet stuff. I open up the game.....all black terrain.
    I go to civfanatics page and notice the instructios for RADEON graphics card.
    I go to ati page and download the ATI 5.10 Catalyst....i am unable to install it, because its not for my version of RADEON card since my graphic card is on motherboard.
    I follow the insrtructions nevertheless of civfanatics and go through the PAK program.
    I load the game and the result is unsurprisigly the same. (black terrain)

I go back and look for a video driver for my comp this time rather than the graphics card itself since its on the motherboard. I isntall the new drive from HPsite. Load the game..result the same. (black terrain)

c) Third laptop - gonna try tonight. I am tired. Been working on this for 4-5 hours now.

Sorry for the doublepost....!!! got AN ERROR MESSAGE FIRST

2. Olive

Olive Chieftain

3. tutankamon

tutankamon Chieftain

c) third comp....as soon as I found out it has the same graphics card as my first comp a) I didn´t even bother installing the game.

Now, I have 3 COMPS and I can´t play the game!!!!! Is that normal?

Back to the solution of Olive now........

4. tutankamon

tutankamon Chieftain

Tried in on both comps...

On one of them i got ONE tile revealed...wow, progress
    On the other ..nothing...still in dark.

5. maartena

maartena Chieftain

The game will never ever work on graphics cards that do not have hardware T&L supports, which includes ALL "Intel Extreme Graphics" type cards.

You can forget about playing it on computer A.

You should be able to play it on computer B, and I would focus efforts on getting it to work there. As far as I know all ATI cards of the last 4 years or so support hardware T&L, so your problem with computer B should be resolvable, unless that particular model does not support hardware T&L.

As for computer C, it depends on the graphics card. If it is Intel Extreme Graphics, don't waste your time installing. If it is a Radeon or Geforce mobile chip, you may have success in getting it to run.