Late game faith? (Indian ED)

DrCron

Prince
Hi everyone,

I picked India in the contemporary era in my last game, and I fail to see the point to their ED (Ashram). It gives a ridiculous amount of faith per turn (way more than influence, even though influence is suppossed to be their culture focus) but I have no idea what benefit do I get from it.

Of course I already had all of my religious tenents before this era. Do you guys know if there's anything you can do with late game religion?

Attachments

• 20210905113242_1.jpg
    20210905113242_1.jpg
    251.1 KB · Views: 260
I don't think faith in the late game is any good, you might convert a few cities with faith but you can't do anything more then that in the game. In my games, most of the time when I reach the contemporary era they are already converted to my religion.....

You can generate grievances against other empires if you convert them and faith helps with that iirc. So it might be useful if you try to go to war. I hope they will add more faith gameplay in the future.

My only guess, aside from more content coming, is that the design goal here is that if religion is hotly contested throughout the game, that India can clinch it. That said, this only really matters if you have some of those faith-rewarding EQ like Aksumites. In my games it has seemed that faith goes so dramatically one way that whoever invests early gets ahead enough no one could ever stop them. It takes a long time to spread, even with superior faith, that if the map wasn’t evenly split going into contemporary, India shouldn’t make a difference.

I think there’d need to be a way to turn faith into fame, perhaps some end game awards for starting the dominant religion.

You can generate grievances against other empires if you convert them and faith helps with that iirc. So it might be useful if you try to go to war. I hope they will add more faith gameplay in the future.
Yeah this, but I wish there was a Holy War-ish demand that religion could use to take territory, similar to how there's a demand for another civ's region that's within one's sphere of influence. Off the top of my head, the religious demands just require that the opposing civ convert to one's religion, but that's not really a big drawback for them. In fact, it kind of sucks when they match my combat bonuses from tenets.

You can demand territories that you have converted, but only up until the entire culture converts to your religion as their state religion. So it's good for warmongering for a while, until you've converted everyone. And yep at that point they get your tenets.

Angkor Wat in the beta now gives 1 food per faith in the city so you could turn that faith into a lot of food, which could be good if you need to build a lot of units or have amazing industry yields and can build enough districts to keep up with the pop growth.

Angkor Wat in the beta now gives 1 food per faith in the city so you could turn that faith into a lot of food, which could be good if you need to build a lot of units or have amazing industry yields and can build enough districts to keep up with the pop growth.

I didn't remember this. So I guess it makes sense to get India if you have Angkor. But yeah, a mechanic to turn faith into something else (fame might be too much, but maybe influence) would make them better in every game I think.

Faith should in some way convert into fame imho. Maybe bonus fame at the end of the game for the strongest religion or even fame per territory/population that follows your Religion.

So I had my first game where faith remained contested into early modern. I conquered the leading AI and took their capital, so I’m calling this one quits, but I noticed something interesting/odd about how the polytheism/shamanism tenet works. It seems that this tenet causes each territory to generates an amount of faith equal to the total number of territories (attached or not) or total population of all nations with that as their state religion.

I had assumed that this was limited to the territories of each city having faith equal to the territories or population of that city, but no, the tenet gives the same gigantic amount of faith to every territory, based on the entire empire(s).

This feels like too much. At this point, holy sites and faith EQ help, but they only grant localized bonuses, that are smaller than this globally quadratic growth from the base tenet.

If this is by design, then perhaps India has a niche after all. Though it’s be better to force a rival to change state religions through the casus belli.

Top Bottom