King Phaedron

Warlord
The La Sagrada Familia is a massive Cathedral built by Gaudi that still isn't finished. It's been over 100 years since construction began.

But my proposal for adding this wonder to the game isn't really about the wonder itself, but the building of it. I wanted to make a wonder that would cost at least 10x more production then any other wonder in the game, and could be built virtually anywhere. A wonder that, if you set a city with 100 production to build it, that city will stop bugging you every other turn to produce something... for the foreseable future.

However, Infinite production cost isn't an option...

...So what if you got every wonder building engineer you could find, along with a very high production city, and actually managed to finish this wonder? This would be a Modern/Atomic age wonder, and being a Cathedral, is of the religious variety.

Perhaps during construction, faith output is increased in the city, and it generates a small amount of religious tourism.

So what powerful thing would this wonder do when complete? I dare not dream of such a thing, for I am too taken with the idea of building it forever.

Or rather, it is not my place to ponder it's completion; but for the massive cost involved, I should leave it up to you to decide...

and yet, an idea invades my mind. The City State Yerevan and it's ability to control Apostle promotions is almost a necessity for religious victory. Without hordes of Proselytizer's, you are forced to either gift new cities to get majority religion, or capture those cities, use inquisitors, and return them when the war is over. Yerevan saves you all that trouble.

But if Yerevan isn't in the game... and it's the late game... and religious victory seems hopeless...

Last edited:
You should watch / Listen to this while thinking about this topic

It may be that Yerevan was in the game... but you're probably Voidsingers and an Owl player could easily keep it away from you.
Or it may be that someone razed it to the ground...

What's even worse is if you were dead set on religious victory in multiplayer. Players are harder to fight, and likely won't accept some pre-converted trash cities. We react quickly, and are quick to buy settlers and make new cities if need be.

That one ray of hope would be if you could get your Apostles all over the world, and hit everyone all at once...

Anyways, I think it would make a great wonder with a very high cost, but maybe not too unreasonable.
Imagine being close to finishing it, and losing to someone else. 15 Turns later... you now have like 15 tanks ready to go.

I've heard that it might actually be completed in a few years... So I think this wonder has a strong chance of happening.

Last edited:
Not to dampen your enthusiasm, because I agree that La Sagrada is a Wonderous construction, but there are quite a few Cathedrals that took over 100 years to build:

Canterbury Cathedral in England, under construction for 104 years
Tournai Cathedral (Notre Dame de Tournai) - under construction off and on from 1140 to 1700 CE
Notre Dame in Paris - initially under construction for 97 years, then rebuilt several times even before the recent fire.
Magdeburg Cathedral in Germany, under construction for 311 years : 1209 to 1520 CE
Cologne Cathedral - started in 1248, built for 300 years, then stopped for almost another 300 years, finally finished in 1880 CE! a record, at least among cathedrals.
Moscow Kreml (Kremlin) - under construction for 175 years, listed here because the complex included 4 cathedrals

And just in general Wonders, you'd have to note that China's "Long Wall" (Great Wall) was started by putting together a bunch of shorter walls in the 200s BCE and not 'finished' until the last parts in stone built by the Ming Dynasty - 1800 years later!

One of the things that Civ gets right is that Wonders take a long time to build, as they should: for every Hagia Sophia thrown up in 6 years there are numerous Wonders that took decades or centuries to reach completion, and for once the in-game construction times are close to accurate!

Top Bottom