leader trait edit

pontypool

Chieftain
How can I edit my leaders traits. Specifically in the britain mod thats available for warlords expansion.

you have to go to the xml. but i forget how to get there, just wait some one more experinced than me will come

In CIV4LeaderHeadInfos.xml, search the name of the leader you want to change then <Traits>.

Go to C/Program Files/Firaxis/Civilization/Warlords/Mods/whatever mod you want/assets/xml/civilizations/Civ4leaderheadinfos.xml (may be different depending on where you have installed the game.
Search the chosen leader, change the trait. Make sure its spelled correctly or you'll get a pop-up saying XML error as you try to load the mod.
(if you dont want to change a mod, but the normal game skip out the Mods/whatever mod bit in the file path.

As an amateur modder, I would strongly recommend you do not overwrite the main game files. You can place your new XML in the "Custom Assets" folder (separate from the main game files), so if something goes wrong, your copy of the game isn't messed up--you just have to remove your faulty file and everything still works fine.

i know this is an old thread.. but how do you open those files? i cant seem to do it now?

Personally, I prefer the free Altova XMLSpy, Home edition. It highlights the tags, automatically finishes them, and overall is a solid program. But GVBN is correct--a basic text editor will do.

Personally, I prefer the free Altova XMLSpy, Home edition.
Yes, it seems to be the editor that Firaxis used on its XML files - well, maybe not the Home Edition.

i cant find the file im supposed to edit, the one i had came with a great britain mod

In the Great Britain mod folder, look for the LeaderheadInfos.xml file, I think, in the Text/Civilizations folder. Or maybe it was CivilizationInfos.xml...it's been awhile since I've looked at it.

In any case, just poke around in the Text folder until you find the right file, and then use Ctrl-F to find the leader you want (some of those files are 1000's of lines long). Then, scroll down to the traits, and type in what you want. Finding it is the hard part--the editing is quite easy.

Top Bottom