Resource icon

LeeS' Buildings Are Fun 2017-04-30

LeeS

Imperator

LeeS' Buildings Are Fun

CFC Resource | Steam Download(none yet)

Summer 2017 Patch:
Spoiler note about the patch :
The summer patch broke the code I was using to hide dummy buildings and otherwise de-kludge the city production panel from showing 8 bajillion buildngs you could not produce at the moment.

I have fixes worked out but I am holding off at least for a few days on an update because some people are experiencing certain things that the Summer Patch broke in the base game and this may mean a hotfix will be coming soon to cure the ills introduced into even un-modded games by this most recent patch.

Requirements To Use This Mod:
  • This mod now requires that you also download and have enabled a prerequisite mod found here in the CFC Resources system:
    CFC Resource Download LeeS' Dummy Buildings Systems
  • This is necessary to ensure proper load order of the various files needed by this mod
  • There are no other special requirements such as a DLC.

Playing as Cleopatra starting in the Ancient Era, and with the capital city just founded: (note that I am running a mod that gives a bunch of starting gold to expedite testing and getting screenshots)
Spoiler :

What I can purchase in the same city (just for comparison, to make the icons a little clearer, and showing that all these buildings are also Gold purchasable):
Spoiler :

Mod Status
  1. The Mod is fully functional. The Code is fully functional.
  2. The mod is described as WIP because
    1. I have not satisfied myself the various effects of the buildings are not imbalancing to too great a degree, or are not worth the hammer investment
    2. For example I am not sure the Forestry Service world wonder added by the mod should not give +2 Production on unimproved Forest tiles instead of just the +1 Production. Because +1 is the same as a Sawmill.
    3. I feel there might be room for a few more buildings or an additional wonder or two but I am not always "good" at coming up with such. Given the way Steam auto-updates mods when an author makes an update, I want as close as possible to a "complete" mod before releasing on Steam
    4. I don't want to drown out every other mod offered that adds buildings to the game so this mod is WIP while I determine if there are any good suggestions for additional buildings without at the same time offering everything and the kitchen sink to the point where no user would see a need to subscribe to any other mod, regardless of how hard the authors of those mods worked on them.

LeeS' Buildings Are Fun Adds Multiple Buildings to the Game:

• Any costs are the # of Cogs (Hammers) required at Standard GameSpeed. Like everything else, this will be modified by your selected game speed.
  • The costs currently being used are based on an attempt to primarily make the cost of the buildings fit to the pre-existing costs for same-era buildings provided by the base game.
  • The Tannery is a specific exception because I want that to be a cheap building available from the start of the game if the correct resources are available.
  • Other than the Tannery building, the Cost for all the buildings added by this mod are greater than the cost of the Monument. This is to ensure that Trajan always gets a monument instead of one of these buildings.
  1. World Wonders:
    Spoiler :
    • Forestry Service:
      • Provides +2 Amenity and +1 Culture in the city. The city that constructs the Forestry Service gains +2 Culture for every unimproved Woods tile it works, and every city in the empire gains +1 Production on every unimproved Woods Tile it works.
      • Prerequisite: Civil Engineering Civic
      • Cost: 1200
      • Nearby Features Requirement: The city must "own" at least four unimproved Woods tiles before it can construct the Forestry Service.
      • This wonder does not require placement on the map, it is added directly to the city-center. This is primarily because I am no good at all at artwork.
    Spoiler Forestry Service Civilopedia :
  2. National Wonders:
    Every Player can construct one copy of each National Wonder. However, because of the terrain and World Wonder prerequities for some of the National Wonders, there is no guarrantee that any particular National Wonder will be constructable within a given game.​
    Spoiler :
    • National Museum:
      • Provides +1 Amenity and Housing and +10% Science in the city.
      • The city must have at least one of the following wonders: Stonehenge, Hanging Gardens, Pyramids, Oracle, Great Lighthouse, Colossus, Petra, Great Library, Mahabodhi Temple, Terracotta Army, or Colosseum.
      • Prerequisite: Natural History Civic
      • Cost: 500
    • Naval Academy:
      • Provides +1 Amenity and Housing and Naval Units trained in the city gain +1 Movement and the city gets +10% Production while the naval unit is being trained in the city.
      • The city must have at least one of the following wonders: Great Lighthouse, Colossus, Venetian Arsenal, or Sydney Opera House, but cannot be built in the same city as the National Military Academy or National Air Academy National Wonders.
      • Prerequisite: Exploration Civic
      • Cost: 350
    • National Military Academy:
      • Provides +1 Amenity and Housing and Land Units trained in the city gain +1 Movement.
      • The city must have at least one of the following wonders: Terracotta Army, Alhambra, Forbidden City, or Venetian Arsenal, but cannot be built in the same city as the Naval Academy or National Air Academy National Wonders.
      • Prerequisite: Nationalism Civic
      • Cost: 450
    • National Alpine Academy:
      • Provides +1 Amenity and Housing. Melee, Ranged, and Anti-Cavalry (Spearmen, etc.) units trained in the city gain the Alpine Movement ability.
      • The city must have an Encampment with either a Barracks or a Stable, and the city itself must have four mountain tiles that belong to the city and are within 3-tiles of the city center. (Mountain tiles originally acquired by some other city of the same player do not count toward the 4-mountain-tile requirement).
      • There are no restrictions with having the Alpine Academy in the same city as one of the other military national wonder "national academies".
      • Prerequisite: Feudalism Civic
      • Cost: 225
    • National Airforce Academy:
      • Provides +1 Amenity and Housing and Air Units trained in the city gain +5 Starting XP, and the city gets +20% Production while the air unit is being trained in the city.
      • The city must have at least one of the Renaissance or Later Era World Wonders.
      • The National Airforce Academy cannot be built in the same city as the Naval Academy or National Military Academy National Wonders.
      • Prerequisite: Mobilization Civic
      • Cost: 525
    • Grand Temple:
      • Provides +1 Amenity and Housing and +10% Faith in the city.
      • The city must have at least one of the following wonders: Mahabodhi Temple, Hagia Sophia, Mont St. Michel, or Cristo Redentor.
      • Prerequisite: Reformed Church Civic
      • Cost: 500
    • National Treasury:
      • Provides +1 Amenity and Housing and +15% Gold in the city. Nearby plots with Diamonds, Gypsum, Jade, or Silver yield +1 Gold.
      • The city must have at least one of the following wonders: Petra, Great Zimbabwe, Colossus, or Big Ben.
      • Prerequisite: Guilds Civic
      • Cost: 275
    • National Arena:
      • Provides +20% Culture in the city, and +2 Amenity and +1 Housing to every city center within 6 tiles.
      • The city must have an Arena (and Entertainment Complex District) and cannot have the Colosseum, the National Theater, or the Estadio do Maracana World Wonders.
      • Prerequisite: Medieval Faires Civic
    • National Theater:
      • Provides +20% Culture in the city, and +2 Amenity and +1 Housing to every city center within 6 tiles.
      • The city must have an Amphitheatre (and Theater District) and cannot have any of the National Arena, Broadway, Bolshoi Theater, or the Sydney Opera House World Wonders.
      • Prerequisite: Medieval Faires Civic
  3. Resource-Dependant Buildings:
    Spoiler :
    • Stoneworks:
      • Provides +2 Production in the city center, and +1 Production to every Marble and Stone plot worked by the city.
      • Prerequisite: Masonry Technology
      • Cost: 80
      • Resource Requirements: The city must have quarry-improved local Marble or Stone.
    • Livestock Exchange:
      • Provides +1 Production and +1 Gold in the city center, and +1 Gold to every Cattle plot worked by the city.
      • Prerequisite: Currency Technology
      • Cost: 90
      • Resource Requirements: The city must have local improved Cattle.
      • Required Building(s): Market
    • Distillery:
      • Provides +2 Gold in the city center, and +1 Gold to every Wheat, Sugar, and Wine plot worked by the city.
      • Resource Requirements: The city must have local improved Wheat, Sugar, or Wine.
    • Tea House:
      • Provides +1 Gold in the city center, and +1 Gold to every Tea plot worked by the city.
      • Resource Requirements: The city must have local improved Tea.
    • Coffee House:
      • Provides +1 Gold in the city center, and +1 Gold to every Coffee plot worked by the city.
      • Resource Requirements: The city must have local improved Coffee.
    • Tannery:
      • Provides +1 Gold and Production in the city center.
      • Prerequisite: No Technology or Civic Required
      • Cost: 40
      • Resource Requirements: The city must have local Cattle or Horses.
    • Bakery:
      • Provides +2 Food in the city center and +1 Food for all Wheat tiles owned by the city.
      • Prerequisite: Pottery Technology
      • Resource Requirements: The city must have local improved Wheat.
      • Required Building(s): Granary
    • Weaver:
      • Provides +2 Production in the city center and +1 Gold to every Cotton and Silk plot worked by the city.
      • Prerequisite: Mathematics Technology
      • Resource Requirements: The city must have local improved Cotton or Silk.
  4. Terrain-Dependant Buildings:
    Spoiler :
    • City Observatory:
      • Provides +1 Science in the city center, and +10 % Science Yield in the city. The City Center tile must be located adjacent to a mountain, and the city cannot already have a Campus Observatory.
      • Prerequisite: Astronomy Technology
      • Cost: 325
    • Campus Observatory:
      • Provides +15 % Science Yield in the city. The city must have a Campus district that is adjacent to at least two mountain tiles that are owned by the same city, and the city cannot already have a City Observatory.
      • Prerequisite: Astronomy Technology
    • Ski Resort:
      • Provides +2 Amenity and +1 Culture in the city. The city must have an Entertainment Complex district that is adjacent to a mountain.
      • Prerequisite: Civil Engineering Civic
  5. Era-Dependant Buildings:
    Spoiler :
    • The following only applies to the Era-Dependant Buildings, and has no bearing on any building mentioned already
    • Details on the individual Era-Dependant Buildings is found in post #2
    1. The mod introduces seven lines of Era-Dependant Buildings
    2. Four of these building-lines are each linked to one of the primary city "yields": Production, Culture, Food, and Science
    3. Two of these building-lines are provided for Housing and Amenity
    4. The Seventh line is limited to cities that have at least one true sea or sea-coastal tile within their ownership
      • This "Coastal Line" of buildings provides a small production-bump directly to the city, and gives one extra yield to each type of sea animal resource, as well as providing % Production Increases in the city when constructing Naval Combat Units.
    5. Each line of Building is constructable in its appropriate game era. Once you progress to a later era, you can no longer build the Ancient-Era set of buildings.
    6. You are not punished in any way by missing out on building for example the Ancient Era Science building in a given city. If you found a city in the Medieval Era, for example, you just construct the Medieval-Era Science Building in that city.
    7. Each time you progress to a new era you can upgrade your existing "Era-Dependant Buildings" to the level of building correct for that era.
      • Buildings that are "outdated" are never actually "outdated" and never actually disappear from your city list of buildings, nor do their effects expire.
    8. Each new era-level of building provides slightly better effects than the version for the previous era
    9. A Building must be constructed within its proper era, but if you are "caught" by a sudden unanticipated advance to a new era in most cases the building you were working on will simply be swapped for the new era's building and your progress will be applied to the new era's building.
      • I am handling this mechanic by lua-code, and one of the things WIP about this mod may be a need to rework the code of this mechanic. So far the mechanic seems pretty friendly to the mod-player but I need wider test-subject set to be sure there are not cases where the player gets disadvantaged by era-progressing.

FAQ
Spoiler :
  1. [Q]:Multiplayer Compatibility ?
    [A]: I have no idea if or how well this mod and its systems will run in Multiplayer.
  2. [Q]: Artwork?
    [A]: The mod includes Icons for all the buildings added, but does not include 3d models for any of these buildings.
    • I am horribly bad at artwork
    • when a mod adds a new 3d-modelled building to a district, the building has to be modelled for all states of the district/building, which is not at all an easy thing to do, especially for art-model makers who are not at the level of a Sukritact or a Deliverator. I am not even in the same universe of art-making as those two, so please do not ask for 3d models for these buildings.
    • The artwork is not really in the "correct" civ6 aesthetic style, however: please read the part where I say I am horribly bad at artwork.
  3. [Q]: Mod Compatibility?
    [A]: UI mods:
    • The mod will at the moment be incompatible to almost all if not all the mods that provide a custom UI, since part of what the required prerequisite mod (LeeS' Dummy Buildings Utilities) does is re-write several of the UI files to hide the dummy builings added by this mod from human-view.
    [A]: Other types of mods:
    • The mod should not interfer with mods such as Magil's Wondrous Wonders mod for example, since I always add unique initials and the like to the xml-names of buildings or units or what have you that I add to the game.
    • Even if this mod and another mod both add a building that uses an in-game user-visible name of "National Treasury" (for example) these are actually two different buildings in the game's database and they have no effect on one another. They might be a little confusing to look at in the civilopedia because of two identically-named buildings, but this has no actual in-game effect whatever.
    • I have added a reference to make @Magil's Wondrous Wonders mods load 1st if both are present and enabled, but sometimes these references seem to get de-asserted by one mod updating.
  4. [Q]: DLC Requirements?
    [A]: The mod does not depend on you having any DLC. Currently I do not have anything except the Aztec civ "DLC", so I am building the mod to be free of such dependancies.
  5. [Q]: Does the AI Build these?
    [A]: Yes. Whether they most advantageously elect to construct these is another issue entirely and is always a problem for a mod-maker.
  6. [Q]: If I am trying to build one of these buildings that requires a resource, and I accidently harvest that resource before I finish the building, what happens?
    [A]: Once you start a building in a city that has one of these requirements for a local resource, or a specified number of mountain tiles, etc., that individual city is immune to changes on the map for the prerequisite resrouces, features, number of mountain tiles, etc., so long as you do not switch to some other construction project.
  7. [Q]: Does the Ai get any "help" with constructing these buildings, especially the ones that are era-linked?
    [A]: No. Though further testing by a larger audience may indicate they might need to, especially for the buildings that are Era-Linked. There are however immunity mechanics built into the mod as well as updating mechanics to apply your (and the Ai's) progress to the newer better versions of the Era-Linked buildings.
  8. [Q]: So, given the previous, what happens when I Era-Advance?
    [A]: When you Era-Advance your Hammers (or Cogs) toward one of the Era-Linked buildings is applied to the next better version of the building, and the stale version is removed from the city build qeue, unless you are in the process of constructing one of the "upgrade" buildings.
    • If you are constructing one of the "upgrade" buildings, that city is immune to the effect of Era Advancement until that upgrade is completed
    • Otherwise, ff you were in the middle of constructing one of the Era-Linked buildngs, your progress is applied to the next better version of the Era-Linked building, and this new better version will show as a partly-completed building in your city selection-box for what to construct in the city.
      • You will be prompted to select a production item for the city before you can turn progress, and the new better version of the Era-Linked building will be a partly-completed project for the city.
      • I cannot currently directly place production-items into the "current project" slot because the game's lua system does not currently provide for that from the gameplay side of lua, which is wheerein all this "under-the-hood" code is being executed.
  9. [Q]: What happens if some other mod over-writes the changes you are making to the UI files?
    [A]: Then you will be able to see the various dummy buildngs used by this mod to act as unlockers to other buildings, both in the civilopedia and in the various city-views and mouse tool-tips. There is no other actual effect than a bit more clutter in the mouse tips, the civilopedia, etc.
  10. [Q]: Do you have screenshots ?
    [A]: I've added a few already and have grabbed screenshots from a test-game I ran from a premade map that had all the terrain-conditions I needed to be able to test. I just have not had a chance to roll them into an imgur album and add them to the descriptions as yet.
  11. [Q]: Will updates to this mod cause my game-in-progress to be ruined?
    [A]: This will only occur if I decide based on suggestions to add more buildings
  12. [Q]: How long have you been working on this mod?
    [A]: Since the day the game was released. I have been trying different things, testing the limits of what the patches add to the game, and adding to the mod. There are still a couple of things I wish Firaxis would add to the lua implementation of the game that would greatly streamline the code and methods used in this mod.

Last edited:
Details on Era-Dependant Buildings

Era-Dependant Ammenity Buildings:
Spoiler :
  1. Ancient Era: Ball Court
    • Provides +1 Amenity in the city center.
    • Cost: 65
  2. Classical Era: Odeon
    • Provides +2 Amenity in the city center.
    • Cost: 105
    • Uograding from a Ball Court cost: 40
  3. Medieval Era: Fairgrounds
    • Provides +3 Amenity in the city center.
    • Cost: 200
    • Uograding from an Odeon cost: 95
  4. Rensissance Era: Haberdashery
    • Provides +4 Amenity in the city center.
    • Uograding from a Fairgrounds cost: 125
  5. Industrial Era: Millinery
    • Provides +5 Amenity in the city center.
    • Cost: 400
    • Uograding from a Haberdashery cost: 75
  6. Modern Era: HorseTrack
    • Provides +6 Amenity in the city center.
    • Cost: 550
    • Uograding from a Millinery cost: 150
  7. Atomic Era: TV Station
    • Provides +7 Amenity in the city center.
    • Cost: 700
    • Uograding from a HorseTrack cost: 150
  8. Information Era: VR Projector
    • Provides +8 Amenity in the city center.
    • Cost: 900
    • Uograding from a TV Station cost: 200
  • You might think this means if you build all these buildings that by the Information Era you will have added 36 total Amenity to a city, but this is not true.
  • If you have the Ball Court (for example) in your city, when you advance to the Classical Era you will be given the option to construct an upgrade version of the Odeon. This upgrade only adds +1 Amenity to the city, not +2.
  • If you have either the Odeon or Odeon (upgrade) in your city, when you reach the Medieval Era you will not be able to construct the Fairgrounds (for example) in your city, but you will be given the option to construct an upgrade version of the Fairgrounds. Again, this upgrade only adds +1 Amenity to the city, not +3.
  • So the total Amenity you can add within a single city by the last era of the game is a total of +8 Amenity.
  • Please note that all the Era-Linked Building-Lines work in this manner.

Era-Dependant Coastal Buildings:
Spoiler :
  1. Ancient Era: Ropemaker
    • Provides +2 Production in the city center and +5% Production when constructing Naval Combat Units in the city. Nearby coastal tile resources also have slight yield increases: +1 Food on Fish, Crabs, and Whales. +1 Production on Pearls.
  2. Classical Era: Cable Maker
    • Provides +2 Production in the city center and +7% Production when constructing Naval Combat Units in the city. Nearby coastal tile resources also have slight yield increases: +1 Food on Fish, Crabs, and Whales. +1 Production on Pearls.
    • Uograding from a Ropemaker cost: 40
  3. Medieval Era: Sail Maker
    • Provides +2 Production in the city center and +10% Production when constructing Naval Combat Units in the city. Nearby coastal tile resources also have slight yield increases: +1 Food on Fish, Crabs, and Whales. +1 Production on Pearls.
    • Uograding from a Cable Maker cost: 95
  4. Rensissance Era: Shipwright
    • Provides +2 Production in the city center and +13% Production when constructing Naval Combat Units in the city. Nearby coastal tile resources also have slight yield increases: +1 Food on Fish, Crabs, and Whales. +1 Production on Pearls.
    • Uograding from a Sail Maker cost: 125
  5. Industrial Era: Anchorage
    • Provides +2 Production in the city center and +15% Production when constructing Naval Combat Units in the city. Nearby coastal tile resources also have slight yield increases: +1 Food on Fish, Crabs, and Whales. +1 Production on Pearls.
    • Uograding from a Shipwright cost: 75
  6. Modern Era: Naval Yard
    • Provides +2 Production in the city center and +18% Production when constructing Naval Combat Units in the city. Nearby coastal tile resources also have slight yield increases: +1 Food on Fish, Crabs, and Whales. +1 Production on Pearls.
    • Uograding from a Anchorage cost: 150
  7. Atomic Era: Dry Docks
    • Provides +2 Production in the city center and +20% Production when constructing Naval Combat Units in the city. Nearby coastal tile resources also have slight yield increases: +1 Food on Fish, Crabs, and Whales. +1 Production on Pearls.
    • Uograding from a Naval Yard cost: 150
  8. Information Era: Roadstead
    • Provides +2 Production in the city center and +25% Production when constructing Naval Combat Units in the city. Nearby coastal tile resources also have slight yield increases: +1 Food on Fish, Crabs, and Whales. +1 Production on Pearls.
    • Uograding from a Dry Docks cost: 200
  • The affect on the sea resource plot yields only occurs once. They are not additive. So you can only get a total of +1 Food on Fish tiles belonging to and worked by the city.
  • Like with the affect on the sea resources, the hammer yields are not additive and only occurs once for a total of +2 Hammers (cogs) regardless of how many of the Coastal Era Buildings a city has.
  • I am aware that many of these building-names are just different ways of saying "harbor" or "seaport", but interesting and different names that still seem "coastal" is not always easy to find.

Era-Dependant Cultural Buildings:
Spoiler :
  1. Ancient Era: Bard's House
    • Provides +1 Culture in the city center and +5% to total city Culture at a 5% cost in city Science Yield.
  2. Classical Era: Poet's House
    • Provides +1 Culture in the city center and +7% to total city Culture at a 7% cost in city Science Yield.
    • Uograding from a Bard's House cost: 40
  3. Medieval Era: Playhouse
    • Provides +2 Culture in the city center and +9% to total city Culture at a 9% cost in city Science Yield.
    • Uograding from a Poet's House cost: 95
  4. Rensissance Era: Salon
    • Provides +2 Culture in the city center and +11% to total city Culture at an 11% cost in city Science Yield.
    • Uograding from a Playhouse cost: 125
  5. Industrial Era: Opera House
    • Provides +2 Culture in the city center and +13% to total city Culture at a 13% cost in city Science Yield.
    • Uograding from a Salon cost: 75
  6. Modern Era: Civic Center
    • Provides +2 Culture in the city center and +15% to total city Culture at a 15% cost in city Science Yield.
    • Uograding from a Opera House cost: 150
  7. Atomic Era: Auditorium
    • Provides +2 Culture in the city center and +17% to total city Culture at a 17% cost in city Science Yield.
    • Uograding from a Civic Center cost: 150
  8. Information Era: Telesonic Exchange
    • Provides +2 Culture in the city center and +20% to total city Culture at a 20% cost in city Science Yield.
    • Uograding from a Auditorium cost: 200
  • Like with the Production of the Coastal Buildings, the Culture yields are not additive and only occurs once for a maximum of +2 direct Culture points within the city regardless of how many of the Culture Era Buildings a city has.
  • The Culture buildings are all mutually-exclusive to the Science line of buildings. Once you construct one of the Culture Buildings, you cannot construct one of the Science Era-Linked Buildings in the same city, and vice versa.
    Spoiler :
    Apothocary (Classical Era Science Building) is not available in this city because it has a Bard's House (Ancient Era Culture Building):
  • Do take note that the Culture buildings increase total city Culture % yield but they also decrease total city Science % yield.

Era-Dependant Food Buildings:
Spoiler :
  1. Ancient Era: Storage Huts
    • Provides +1 Food in the city center, and +5% total City Food.
  2. Classical Era: Cold Cellars
    • Provides +1 Food in the city center, and +7% total City Food.
    • Uograding from a Storage Huts cost: 40
  3. Medieval Era: Farmer's Market
    • Provides +2 Food in the city center, and +9% total City Food.
    • Uograding from a Cold Cellars cost: 95
  4. Rensissance Era: Stock Yard
    • Provides +2 Food in the city center, and +11% total City Food.
    • Uograding from a Farmer's Market cost: 125
  5. Industrial Era: Cannery
    • Provides +2 Food in the city center, and +13% total City Food.
    • Uograding from a Stock Yard cost: 75
  6. Modern Era: Refrigeration Facility
    • Provides +2 Food in the city center, and +15% total City Food.
    • Uograding from a Cannery cost: 150
  7. Atomic Era: Hydroponics Plant
    • Provides +2 Food in the city center, and +17% total City Food.
    • Uograding from a Refrigeration Facility cost: 150
  8. Information Era: Food Replicators
    • Provides +2 Food in the city center, and +20% total City Food.
    • Uograding from a Hydroponics Plant cost: 200
  • Like with all the previous lines covered, the Food yields are not additive and only occurs once for a maximum of +2 direct Food points within the city regardless of how many of the Food Era Buildings a city has.

Era-Dependant Housing Buildings:
Spoiler :
  1. Ancient Era: Hovels
    • Provides +1 Food and +1 Housing in the city center.
  2. Classical Era: Insulae
    • Provides +1 Food and +2 Housing in the city center.
    • Uograding from a Hovels cost: 40
  3. Medieval Era: Tenements
    • Provides +1 Food and +3 Housing in the city center.
    • Uograding from a Insulae cost: 95
  4. Rensissance Era: Townhouses
    • Provides +1 Food and +4 Housing in the city center.
    • Uograding from a Tenements cost: 125
  5. Industrial Era: Apartments
    • Provides +1 Food and +5 Housing in the city center.
    • Uograding from a Townhouses cost: 75
  6. Modern Era: Suburban Housing
    • Provides +1 Food and +6 Housing in the city center.
    • Uograding from a Apartments cost: 150
  7. Atomic Era: Housing Projects
    • Provides +1 Food and +7 Housing in the city center.
    • Uograding from a Suburban Housing cost: 150
  8. Information Era: Mega Structure Housing
    • Provides +1 Food and +8 Housing in the city center.
    • Uograding from a Housing Projects cost: 200
  • The Housing line of buildings works identically to the Amenity-Line, except these give Housing.
  • These buildings also give +1 Food directly to the city, but this again is not additive and you can never get more than the +1 total extra food in the city from the Housing line of buildings.

Era-Dependant Production Buildings:
Spoiler :
  1. Ancient Era: Mudworks
    • Provides +1 Production in the city center, and +5% to total city Production at an equivalent -5% cost in city Food Yield.
    Spoiler :

The Mudworks affect on city production:

The Negative Food Affect from having the Mudworks building:

2. Classical Era: City Kiln
    • Provides +1 Production in the city center, and +7% to total city Production at an equivalent -7% cost in city Food Yield.
    • Uograding from a Mudworks cost: 40
  3. Medieval Era: Smithery
    • Provides +2 Production in the city center, and +9% to total city Production at an equivalent -9% cost in city Food Yield.
    • Uograding from a City Kiln cost: 95
  4. Rensissance Era: Foundry
    • Provides +2 Production in the city center, and +11% to total city Production at an equivalent -11% cost in city Food Yield.
    • Uograding from a Smithery cost: 125
  5. Industrial Era: Electricized Foundry
    • Provides +2 Production in the city center, and +13% to total city Production at an equivalent -13% cost in city Food Yield.
    • Uograding from a Foundry cost: 75
  6. Modern Era: Assembly Line
    • Provides +2 Production in the city center, and +15% to total city Production at an equivalent -15% cost in city Food Yield.
    • Uograding from a Electricized Foundry cost: 150
  7. Atomic Era: Robotic Factory
    • Provides +2 Production in the city center, and +17% to total city Production at an equivalent -17% cost in city Food Yield.
    • Uograding from a Assembly Line cost: 150
  8. Information Era: 3D Printing Facility
    • Provides +2 Production in the city center, and +20% to total city Production at an equivalent -20% cost in city Food Yield.
    • Uograding from a Robotic Factory cost: 200
  • The Production yields are not additive and only occurs once for a maximum of +2 direct Production points within the city regardless of how many of the Production Era Buildings a city has.
  • Do take note that the Production buildings increase total city Production % yield but they also decrease total city Food % yield.
  • The Production buildings are not mutually-exclusive to the Food line of buildings.

Era-Dependant Science Buildings:
Spoiler :
  1. Ancient Era: Shaman's Hut
    • Provides +1 Science in the city center, and +5% total city Science at a 5% cost in city Culture Yield.
  2. Classical Era: Apothecary
    • Provides +1 Science in the city center, and +7% total city Science at a 7% cost in city Culture Yield.
    • Uograding from a Shaman's Hut cost: 40
  3. Medieval Era: Archive
    • Provides +2 Science in the city center, and +9% total city Science at a 9% cost in city Culture Yield.
    • Uograding from a Apothecary cost: 95
  4. Rensissance Era: Lecture Hall
    • Provides +2 Science in the city center, and +11% total city Science at an 11% cost in city Culture Yield.
    • Uograding from a Archive cost: 125
  5. Industrial Era: City Academy
    • Provides +2 Science in the city center, and +13% total city Science at a 13% cost in city Culture Yield.
    • Uograding from a Lecture Hall cost: 75
  6. Modern Era: Tech Institute
    • Provides +2 Science in the city center, and +15% total city Science at a 15% cost in city Culture Yield.
    • Uograding from a City Academy cost: 150
  7. Atomic Era: Research Facility
    • Provides +2 Science in the city center, and +17% total city Science at a 17% cost in city Culture Yield.
    • Uograding from a Tech Institute cost: 150
  8. Information Era: The Science line of buildings has no Information-Era Building.
  • Like with the Production of the Coastal Buildings, the Science yields are not additive and only occurs once for a maximum of +2 direct Science points within the city regardless of how many of the Science Era Buildings a city has.
  • The Science buildings are all mutually-exclusive to the Culture line of buildings. Once you construct one of the Science Buildings, you cannot construct one of the Culture Era-Linked Buildings in the same city, and vice versa.
    Spoiler :
    Apothocary (Classical Era Science Building) is not available in this city because it has a Bard's House (Ancient Era Culture Building):
  • Do take note that the Science buildings increase total city Science % yield but they also decrease total city Culture % yield.

Offsetting % Effects

Here is an example of offsetting effects on % city yields. In the city in question, 1st an upgrade to a better Food building is made, and then a counter-acting production building is added to the city:
  1. Here I have added the Upgrade to a "Stockyard" level of food building. Before I added this upgraded version of the Food building, the city was getting 0% extra food yield from modifiers:
    Spoiler :
  2. Here I have added the Upgrade to a "Foundry" level of Production building. The city is getting 11% extra production yield from modifiers:
    Spoiler :
  3. After adding the Upgrade to the "Foundry" level of Production building, the city is once more getting 0% extra food yield. This is because the effect on city food extra % modifier is balanced exactly between the negative and positive effects created by the Foundry and Stockyard buildings.
    Spoiler :

Last edited:
I welcome comments on ideas for additional buildings, questions about what the buildings do, what you need to build them, etc. But please leave mod-maker questions for the Utility-side Thread I will be adding. I don't want mod users scared off by what is really modding talk -- I notice when this occurs on a mod's thread, users begin to think there must be something fundamentally wrong with the mod.

Also note that I live in Central Time Zone North America, so for me it is getting on to night-time and I will not likely respond to much until my tomorrow.

This is awesome! I am super thankful, and eagerly await your Utility Thread which I will surely fill with inane questions :D

One comment I do have about balance is an apparent disparity in the quality of your resource-dependent buildings. The ones that are single-resoeurce dependent could probably stand to be twice as powerful, especially when their single resource is a luxury. Tea House, for instance, at +1gold/tea is just kind of 'meh' - even in a city with 3-4 tea resources, I'd have to think about whether it's worth the investment to build it.

This comes down to a question of subjective 'feel', but for me, as both a player and designer, if I happen to start a city that could be the tea capital of the world, I would want the tea-specific building to be a major benefit that I might even consider beelining for, not an extra incidental 3 gold. I think you could be quite dramatic here without upsetting balance. As a hypothetical, imagine a Tea House that gave +2culture/gold per tea tile worked by the city. Would it be worth building with 1 tea resource? I don't think so. At 2 I would probably build it, and anything more I definitely would build it right away! That to me is the right subjective feel.

Last edited:
This is awesome! I am super thankful, and eagerly await your Utility Thread which I will surely fill with inane questions :D

One comment I do have about balance is an apparent disparity in the quality of your resource-dependent buildings. The ones that are single-resoeurce dependent could probably stand to be twice as powerful, especially when their single resource is a luxury. Tea House, for instance, at +1gold/tea is just kind of 'meh' - even in a city with 3-4 tea resources, I'd have to think about whether it's worth the investment to build it.

This comes down to a question of subjective 'feel', but for me, as both a player and designer, if I happen to start a city that could be the tea capital of the world, I would want the tea-specific building to be a major benefit that I might even consider beelining for, not an extra incidental 3 gold. I think you could be quite dramatic here without upsetting balance. As a hypothetical, imagine a Tea House that gave +2culture/gold per tea tile worked by the city. Would it be worth building with 1 tea resource? I don't think so. At 2 I would probably build it, and anything more I definitely would build it right away! That to me is the right subjective feel.
I'll give this some thought. The balance is always the most difficult part, I feel, so I always start small with marginal values. I've added data to the OP on Hammers (Cogs) cost. Have yet to do on the Era-Linked Buildings.

I've updated the mod in the download link
  1. The mod is now using V2 in the modinfo file, tho this seems not to make much difference except as a record-keeping mechanic.
  2. The buildings added by the mod for the most part now all cost maintenance. I had forgotten to add this where I had intended.
    • The National Wonders added by this mod do not cost maintenance.
  3. In order to make the choice as to whether one or more of the Era-Linked Buildings are a good fit to any one individual city, these buildings now have scaling maintenance costs as you progress through the eras.
    • If you choose to upgrade a current building to a new better version, this will cost you an additional 1 Gold in maintenance.
    • If you have not previously built a food building in a particular city, and you are in the medieval era, the maintenance cost of the food building you can construct (the Farmer's Market) will be 3 Gold per turn
    • If you create a city in the ancient era and construct the Storage Hut building (1 gold/turn maintenance) and then upgrade this building at every opportunity as you progress through the eras, your total maintenance for all these food buildings in that city will be 8 gold/turn.
    • If you found a new city in the Information Era and construct the Food Replicator building in that city, your total maintenance for the exact same food effect in the city is still 8 gold/turn.
  4. The Tea House and Coffeee House have been shifted to using Civics as their prereqs, they now cost 2 maintenance/turn, and they give +1 Culture directly to the city and +2 gold/turn to their respecitve resources worked by the city. So to make the Tea and Coffee Houses "pay" in terms of gold the city needs to have at least two sources of their respective resource.
    • I also updated the in-game text to reflect the fact that both the Tea House and the Coffee House have always also given +1 Ammenity in their city.
  5. Code has been tightened to make for less processing "overhead-cost"
  6. File structure has been reworked to make it easier for other mod-makers to find and grab the "utility" files this mod uses
  7. Added an additional reference to make Magil's Wondrous Wonders and Wondrous Wonders (World Wonders Only) mods load before this mod. But it should not actually make much difference one way or the other, and mod references are wonky at best in civ6

-----------------------------------------

I have not yet had a chance to update the descriptions in the Opening and 2nd Posts of the thread.

LeeS submitted a new resource:

LeeS' Buildings Are Fun - Adds Various Fun Buildings

1. This mod is both a functional mod for user play and a utility for other mod-makers to use
  2. Right now Rob & I are trying to figure out how exactly to configure this so that there is one thread linked to this resource for people who just play mods and a second thread linked to this resource for mod-makers. The mod-maker's thread will have detailed instructions on how to use the utility-files contained within the mod.

The mod for user play is described here:...

Read more about this resource...

Made a few "behind the scenes" changes to the lua for the era-linked buildings and alterred the direct-download link to the CFC "Resources" system.

The mod is still using V2 within the modinfo file, but you as the user won't see any difference because Firaxis doesn't cause the version number of a mod to show anywhere.

The instruction for how to make use of the utilities of the mod is completed. Rob (R8XFT) and I are working out the mechanics of how to link both threads to the same resource before I post the instructions on how to use the utility.

I'm having problems using this alongside Quo's Combined Tweaks?
You'll have to give me more info on the trouble you are seeing. I've just quickly tested with a test game and not seen any problems with mod compatibility between the two mods.

When you load them and check the science tree for Future Tech, you can see the error message. I also couldn't load my save about 200 turns in.

When you load them and check the science tree for Future Tech, you can see the error message.
Seeing the dummy buildings on Future Tech is my oops because I forgot to add the file that hides the dummy buildings from the tech and civics trees. I'll fix this in a soon update (probably some time this coming weekend).
I also couldn't load my save about 200 turns in.
I wouldn't think the trouble with reloading a save is directly a problem with this mod as I've not had any trouble reloading any saved games when test-playing with the mod.

There is a possibility that if Firaxis have not fixed the issues that were found right after the initial game release related to mod loading order being different when you loaded a saved game than when you started a new game, this could cause a crash issue with trying to reload a saved game. I am not saying this is your issue wrt to reloading a save: I am saying it could be because I don't know that there was ever a statement one way or another as to whether the issue was fixed on Firaxis' end.

Seeing the dummy buildings on Future Tech is my oops because I forgot to add the file that hides the dummy buildings from the tech and civics trees. I'll fix this in a soon update (probably some time this coming weekend).

I wouldn't think the trouble with reloading a save is directly a problem with this mod as I've not had any trouble reloading any saved games when test-playing with the mod.

There is a possibility that if Firaxis have not fixed the issues that were found right after the initial game release related to mod loading order being different when you loaded a saved game than when you started a new game, this could cause a crash issue with trying to reload a saved game. I am not saying this is your issue wrt to reloading a save: I am saying it could be because I don't know that there was ever a statement one way or another as to whether the issue was fixed on Firaxis' end.

Good to know. I will re-enable it tomorrow to see how it works out. Will let you know.

For some reason, I get CTD after pushing Next Turn - probably when AIs are building first city center/palace.

The logs write NOTHING about it, so I'm not sure what exactly is the cause (or at least lua, modding and database logs).

My wild guess is that it either
- isn't compatible with spring 2017
- conflicts with Wondrous Wonders
- conflicts with Civ 6 Improvements Patch
- conflicts with Quo's Combined Tweaks
- conflicts with Real Building Updates

or a combination of above.

It would appear to be a mod-loading-order compatibility issue with Real Building Updates but even so I haven't been able to create a CTD as yet.

Are you seeing the CTD on the first turn or at some mid-point of playing a game.

Top Bottom