Legendary Games

creamcheese

Spreading since 1990
Is anyone like me and has read all of the legendary games in the Stories and Tales forum stickies?

I found them originally when I first came to the site a while ago and read them one at a time over a few months. They, combined with the war academy, really shaped the way I look at my playing and how I judge myself.

I was wondering if anyone had any favorites that they have read, or favorite moments in any particular story? (some of you probably played in a few of them as well) Personally I really enjoyed the SG "Sid Vicious and the Magnificent 7+1", and the Solo game "Theodora's AWS Adventure". 7+1 for the all around great gameplay, the epic quest for the great library, and the nailbitingly close war at the end (I remember going to sleep one night wondering if the team would fall to the French or hold on to the end). Theodora's AWS for the crazy variant (Always War Sid :eek:), great strategy, and the corny jokes.

Bamspeedy's "Beyond Sid" has to be one of the great games doesn't it? To my knowledge, no one has even tried replicating the feat (conquest win with the AI costs set at 10%)...

Bamspeedy's "Beyond Sid" has to be one of the great games doesn't it? To my knowledge, no one has even tried replicating the feat (conquest win with the AI costs set at 10%)...

Well, as he theorized in that game, it might actually have been easier than it sounds because they hit the unit limit and had so many units they had no gold. I suppose someone might still give it a go...

I have read some, not all. One I enjoyed was I believe LOTR13 - Scouting Sid. That was great.

Hey all, sounds great and interesting. I'm new and can't find the page. can someone direct me? Thanks, Mark

Well, as he theorized in that game, it might actually have been easier than it sounds because they hit the unit limit and had so many units they had no gold. I suppose someone might still give it a go...

Sure, but as I recall it, the unit limit is global, so he was affected too; the result should be that both he and the AI have the same proportion of unit builds come to nothing, so the AI is still out-producing him 10 to 1. Except that maybe this is another one of those instances where the human player is advantaged by being first in turn order: when some units get killed, there opens up the possibilty of some unit builds completing successfully, and the human gets first claim on those unit slots. :hmm:

There is the global unit limit, which affected both the AI and BamSpeedy, but also I think that the AI ran into unit support issues, as they do on Sid when isolated.

I haven't read all of them but I recall having a very good time reading "SirPleb, going for Sid", Moonsinger's 80K and Bamspeedy's "Beyond Sid". I also enjoyed that SirPled was stopping and discussing his actions most of the time and therefore the thread is full of fantastic tips on how to improve your own playing. Bamspeedy's game is of course madness and brilliance in one. I liked how Moonsinger used her banking system. Very good games all of them!

Sure, but as I recall it, the unit limit is global, so he was affected too; the result should be that both he and the AI have the same proportion of unit builds come to nothing, so the AI is still out-producing him 10 to 1. Except that maybe this is another one of those instances where the human player is advantaged by being first in turn order: when some units get killed, there opens up the possibilty of some unit builds completing successfully, and the human gets first claim on those unit slots. :hmm:

Yes but a human player has an advantage, they know about the unit limit, and can plan builds around it. And yes, when units get killed you can build more. So by taking out the AIs one by one, he slowly built up a troop advantage that they could not replicate. It is still by no means easy, but it is probably no more difficult than a pangaea Sid game or something. You have to be aware of the limitations of the AI, and be slightly crazy in your MMing.

It would be really insane if someone tried this variant on a pangaea... that I would love to see.

I did not even know there was a unit limit , what is it?

I did not even know there was a unit limit , what is it?

IIRC:
4096 in Vanilla and PTW,
8192 in C3C.

You won't hit in most lower level games or on smaller maps, but on Sid (or bamspeedy's Sid+) where the AI builds things so cheaply, you can hit it in the later game.

It is also an issue in mods like AoI where you start with lots of units already and lots of production.

There is an .exe crack that takes the limit off, use at your own risk.

Those lists of games and stories need to be updated...

When were they last updated? Three-four years ago?

Those lists of games and stories need to be updated...

When were they last updated? Three-four years ago?

Probably something like that. There have definitely been some fun games since then. Anyone have any nominations?

Top Bottom