Let AIs Live & Pay or kill them?

I prefer to kill them off. Especially if they are in the same continent. Everytime I let them live, I have to deal with their settlers running around trying to settle new cities in between mine.

If I'm undecided I see who they have met and who has met them. If they're relatively unknown, in for the kill. Call it a desire for personal space - I like to have a continent to myself.

Later in the game I leave them a city. Sometimes I settle a city in an unforgiving location to gift to them before going to war and take everything but that one tiny rock. Call it spite.

I haven't been able to tell yet, but does warmonger penalty go up for wiping someone out like it did in V? Also, is a city state a bigger penalty than a civ's city?

I usually let them live with a city or two for another 15 turns or so while leeching off them. On Deity, after the first archer rush where you kill their warrior horde they'll come at you with maybe chariots and catapults. Nothing you can't handle with your lv2 archers. If they have a medieval unique tho, like Arabia's Mamluks, I wipe them out because they can be hard to finish without losing some of your archers.

EDIT: They won't actually "come" at you, just a saying.

Last edited:
Most of the time I let the AI live.
On rare occasions I declare premptive wars by myself ... for example if the AI swarms me with missionaries, or if all items of certain streategic resource on my continent are in locations of AI cities.
All is different, however, if the AI declares war on me (and especially so if in addition to this the AI is on my home continent and/or declared war in treacherous circumstances). In this case I often wage an all out war with litle or no mercy (meaning that I reject peace offers, until the AI is reduced to 1-2 small cities ... or reject peace offers altogether and don't stop till the AI has lost all of its cities)

It is actually similar to how I did it in previous versions of Civ

Civ 6 has taught me to be cold and now I won't stop unless facing revolt in one of my major cities.

Leaving a civ around mean increased war wariness in all cities you've taken from them. They also continue to try to expand causing more problems, will take every opportunity to annoy and denounce you, and make demands they have no force to back up.

Killing them will clear all this up.

On a side note, revolts in your border cities can work in your favor depending on how close the next city is. The spawned barbarian units tend wander randomly and can be great harassment that costs you nothing.

Top Bottom