• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Let us stop at a certain technological period.

SG-17

Deity
Since we can choose what period to start in I would like the ability to choose what period we end in. Sure it would turn off some victory conditions like Science, (potentially) Culture, and (potentially) Diplomatic, but I would love to play a game that ended technologically in the Middle Ages so I had to plan my military strategy around not having gunpowder units.

It should be unusual for civs to reach the industrial and modern eras, even if those eras aren't automatically locked out. First-time industrialisation can only occur under a narrow set of conditions and incentives. Civs should have compelling incentives to not industrialise at all, and it should be much more difficult for civs to successfully industrialise. However any civ that does successfully industrialise should be significantly rewarded, as this would make the choice to industrialise more interesting and it would also help simulate the rise to global dominance of industrial civilizations in real life.

Since we can choose what period to start in I would like the ability to choose what period we end in. Sure it would turn off some victory conditions like Science, (potentially) Culture, and (potentially) Diplomatic, but I would love to play a game that ended technologically in the Middle Ages so I had to plan my military strategy around not having gunpowder units.

I think this is a worthwhile suggestion; There have been a number of times that I've wished I could have the techs stop in, say Medieval. If this were an option in the advanced menu sometime in the future, I'd be a happy civver

well, you can kind of do this in sdk by turning science off and just choosing what techs you want everybody to have. other than that and maybe some scenarios, i've never really seen a point in this, even though i know there are quite a few people who really want this. then again, i like playing games that start in the future, so take that as you will.

A lot of people like to play out certain era's in civ, I like the full begining to end, but I am surprised that Civ 5 left out this feature, I am sure they will add it at some point, wouldnt be hard to code a stop era.

Does anyone know if there are any mods that allow this? I'd like to stop before Rifling so that Longswordsmen are still king.

It wouldn't be terribly difficult to mod this in a simple way, perhaps a separate mod for each era would be easiest as it wouldn't require new menu options just removing techs from the tree. Although I'd prefer to exponentially slow the tech towards the end so that you effectively don't go beyond longswords or what ever... but eventually someone will and then they'll steam roll with their new unit for ages! Otherwise you'd sell all your research buildings as there would be utterly no point in them anymore.

Top Bottom