Lev Destroyers suck?

3 lev tanks and 3 dragoons without any additional support won me an apollo game. This discussion is pretty pointles because we should be able to win the game before lev destroyers are built by anyone.

Prime Lev destroyers get -1 setup at which point they might be actually the best ultimate unit with hoovering and 2 range (And you might as well mix in some supremacy if your purity is at 13+). But all ultimates cost way too much strategic res. Esp since they can get owned by a couple of properly leveled regular units (like redeemers).

I have no problem with endgame units being included merely to look cool. If the game's in hand, no problem.

If you're playing at a skill level where the game isn't in hand, then something that does lots of damage and can set up on canyons is possibly a good complement to your skills. :)

Purity is just so much better as a blitzkrieg really. I loved effortlessly crossing a rapid moving Army of Dragoons and Lev Tanks towards my enemy and trashing them before they can react. Other than the awful victory condition for Purity they are my favorite affinity by far, much better as a domination victory. It's a shame the Lev Destroyer just can't really keep up with its faster moving friends.

It was useful to my closer neighbors though, combined with some Infantry and Ranger support. I kept all the fast moving vehicles together and the slow moving units together. Worked well enough but given the costs I think I'll skip the destroyers altogether next time and just use Infantry to defend and cavalry to attack.

Lev destroyers do suck, as I've said in my review. Way too slow. Have to set up to fire like catapults. Can't capture cities. Don't hit hard enough. Take up 7 freaking floatstone!

They have the same speed as LEV tanks, not sure why people are saying they are too slow.

I think the main problem with it is that they cost almost double of a LEV tank but they obviously dont do similar damage and they have a setup time for no reason.

The main attraction of higher strength for melee is that they take significantly less damage from attacks and getting more melee units into position is harder.

This doesnt apply to ranged so its quite easy to use 2 LEV tanks instead of a LEV destroyer.

Setup time needs to be removed for sure, but what kind of perk should replace the -1 setup times?

They have the same speed as LEV tanks, not sure why people are saying they are too slow.

I think the main problem with it is that they cost almost double of a LEV tank but they obviously dont do similar damage and they have a setup time for no reason.

The main attraction of higher strength for melee is that they take significantly less damage from attacks and getting more melee units into position is harder.

This doesnt apply to ranged so its quite easy to use 2 LEV tanks instead of a LEV destroyer.

Setup time needs to be removed for sure, but what kind of perk should replace the -1 setup times?

They need a complete overhaul.

First, don't make them look like a brick. The SMAC deathspheres looked much more meanacing. Make them look like discs or floating fortresses or anythng but a lump of clay with a gun turret.

Second, they need to be able to capture cities. A good way to do this is allow an upgrade which lets them carry a unit inside. Like a mobile city with a garrisoned unit. If you carry a marine inside it can pop out and capture cities whenver is convenient.

They need their base speed to be upgraded to 4.

Uh no why would they need a base speed of 4? Nothing on land has a base speed of 4.

If you want to capture units use a melee unit.

They have to set up, and lev tanks can get up to speed 3 with a perk, so they're slower than lev tanks.

The real problem for me is that they're slower than dragoons. Those guys are brilliant.

Second, they need to be able to capture cities.

They need to make all military units able to capture cities, really. If only to help the AI which will otherwise shoot at a station for 100 turns in a row.

Thats a perk though and lev tanks should be faster than destroyers. But i dont think destroyers should need to setup.

Dragoons arent even comparable to lev tanks or destroyers....

Top Bottom