Linux (ubuntu 18.04), summer patch, mods, CQUI

Ok, now that we have the patch, crossplay etc works.

So now we can use all the mods windows does. However, some are still hinky.

https://forums.civfanatics.com/thre...ost-of-the-steps-are-no-longer-needed.528742/

is a good start point.

What I did:

EDIT: DO THIS FIRST Rename the content folder below to conten_old or something.

Code:
sudo mkfs.vfat -C -F 32 civ6mods.img 2097152
lsblk
sudo losetup /dev/loop28 civ6mods.img
sudo mount -o uid=<user>,gid=users,fmask=113,dmask=002,iocharset=iso8859-1 /dev/loop28 "/home/<username>/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/workshop/content/"

Now copy the contents of content_old to the new content.

That gives a 2gb FAT32 filesystem mounted for all mods for steam.
If you JUST want it for civ6 you can add " 289070 " after content.

For the <user> and <username> insert YOUR username and home folder name there.
My next available loop device was 28, so that's why I used it. Use whatever, the lsblk will let you know what the next one is.

You can also do it to the ~/.local/share/aspyr-media/Sid Meier's Civilization VI/Mods
folder instead. This is where you manually put mods, so you'd have to download manually.
First method lets the workshop handle it.

Apparently have to setup/mount the thing every time you reboot, so dropping it into a script would work.
You have to use the next available loop device (or make one further out, I didn't try, so perhaps loop60 would let you just do it that way every time)

CQUI, YnAMP, bunch of Adlers overpowered civ mods work just fine, just like in windows.

Yay!

(thanks to dev_bidek in the linux thread on steam for pointing out the Civ5 link, and those in there for figuring it out back then)

EDIT: put in the rename part before the code, and the copy afterwards.

Last edited:
@Canadian Bluebeer Thanks for this fantastic workaround!

I've created a script based on your suggestions, please check https://github.com/cwill-evonier/ubuntu-steam-workshops.

I've linked your post in the read.me, please let me know in case you dislike that. Thanks.

np. I changed my own stuff to loop50 just to have some breathing room, in case something else sets up a loopback device.

I'd been meaning to make a script for it, but was just too lazy, and I hate making scripts.
(holdover from days of dos and incredibly complex batch files to run a multiline bbs) :p

I managed to add an entry to /etc/fstab so that the img loads automatically upon startup. Simply add this to the bottom of /etc/fstab

Code:
/path/to/mods.img /path/to/Steam/steamapps/workshop/content/289070 vfat loop,uid=<yourusername>,gid=users,fmask=113,dmask=002,iocharset=iso8859-1

It'll automatically create a loop device (note the loop keyword in the start of the 4th column).

Top Bottom