List MP Questions?

Zardnaar

Deity
So a situation has come up here in NZ.

Green party has had a member resign as a member. Her husband has been involved in labor exploitation aka wage theft. Shes been implicated in it and changed her story multiple times. She's a first term MP that has spent most of her time on paid leave. Election was October last year iirc. The Greens have asked her to resign from parliament.

NZ has a Waka jumping law. Basically this means if a list MP leaves their party they can be ejected from parliament.

Morally they are opposed to it but voted for the law after entering a coalition in 2017. We went proportional in 1996, by 1998 we had list MPs leaving parliament and in some cases going rogue and voting against their own party. In some cases after gaining cabinet seats. In the 90s it was a right wing party that lost 5 MPs or more almost half the caucus. They got decimated in 1999 squeaking back in via electorate seat (13% to 4.xyz%)

In every case where they have sought relection under their own banner they have been thrown out of parliament. Some electorate MPs in the past have "gone rogue" but won their seats. Kind of like Corbyn in UK. I'm not talking about that type of situation.

The basic problem here is under proportional system a list MP leaving the party upsets the proportional part of MMP. She didn't leave the party over ethical concerns her party has gone in a different direction.

She was selected by the Greens members but this was before her business practices were exposed. Each party has a different way of selecting list MPs. Rough year for the Greens this is the third MP scandal after another resigned due to criminal conviction for shoplifting.

So morality of list MPs resigning from their parties (or expelled) but not resigning from parliament.

How List MPs are selected
Party/method afaik.
ACT. Party leader (in effect)
NZ First committee
National Committee
Labour Mixed (committee, unions, member vote)
Greens. Members vote
TPM not sure.

Chloe is the Greens co leader, the other one is on leave for cancer treatment. She's the OK boomer MP.

Last edited:
That is a complexity I had not considered, but it sort of seems if an MP is elected purely on the basis of supporting a platfor then if they reject that platform they could lose their seat.

I always wonder they they bother with the list, rather than just altering the thresholds in each constituency to get the same party representation.

Also, waka jumping is such a New Zealand phrase, it is great.
Some electorate MPs in the past have "gone rogue" but won their seats. Kind of like Corbyn in UK.
I am not sure it is totally correct to say Corbyn went rouge. When he was most controversial he was the leader of the party.

Last edited:
Yes a downside to proportional representation and screwing up power balances, I'd imagine.

Not a problem in the US fortunately, where party loyalty is like "0" in actual reality, and the 2 major parties are like badges or costumes more than anything...

oh well, Best of luck!

Update

Greens are basically short a seat AGM will vote on seeing if she can be removed from parliament.

Green MPs also tithe 10% to the party. If she's resigned they're also out of that money.

Top Bottom