Ljosalfar archerrush is waaay overpowered!

In effect - they're Strength 4 units with a -1 to offense strength, with Longbows being comparable to a Strength 6 Champion, with a -1 to offense strength...
One thing to keep in mind with this is that archery is tangent to the metal line, while melee is on it. So, your axemen/champions are almost guaranteed to have better weapons then your archers/longbowmen.

(This is my argument to make Bowyers cheaper, although I missed all of 050 and have only limited time to explore 051, so maybe this is now a non-issue)

One thing to keep in mind with this is that archery is tangent to the metal line, while melee is on it. So, your axemen/champions are almost guaranteed to have better weapons then your archers/longbowmen.

(This is my argument to make Bowyers cheaper, although I missed all of 050 and have only limited time to explore 051, so maybe this is now a non-issue)

True but that is a great reason to add a few wood types that sort of mirror the Metal buffs for melee. Orbis has Duskwood. Could add that and 1 other maybe to off set the metal bonus and add new resources as the same time.

Griffon feathers? Capture & settle like a spider's silk pen, adds +1 strength with a fletcher?

(A side note - Griffon claws are supposedly make one immune to poison - might be a fun trophy for taking down one of those damn flying cats)

I would love more resources.
The more stuff I get to fight and kill and die over, the better :) And it seems like a great way to solve the early game "every civ has mega-archers" issue, but letting people focus on them in general would be stellar.

Now, give me a "annoying $%#&ing hunter/fawn Spam Killer" promotion and I'll be happy. Seriously, can we get that anti-recon promotion yet?

The reason there is that the AI doesn't manage it's gold on the basis that it knows it's about to get an "upgrade tech" and wants to mass upgrade like a player might.

What gold management do you mean?

Convincing someone to trade an upgrade tech is damn near impossible, so civs almost always have to research the techs themselves. Now, if you go out of your way to set it up so you have a bunch of gold by the time you get the tech, you delay the tech, so you get your upgrades at the same time, but you lose out on several turns of having the other benefits of that tech. Therefore, 95% of the time the optimal upgrade strategy is to burn your gold getting to that tech ASAP, and THEN build up a supply of gold to make whatever upgrades you want (with a few exceptions coming in the forms of trade missions or selling horsehockey techs, both of which come way after archers anyway.)

This seems to be the strategy the AI follows.

They don't really need that much help.

Top Bottom